Cool, cucumber refreshment blended into a tasty soup. Serve a light, healthy meal without turning on the stove! This soup is really easy to make and good for you. Blended fresh vegetables and herbs whisked into low-fat, high protein, Greek yogurt. Garnished with a smoky paprika, parsley and Pink Himalayan salt, for a bit of depth and extra minerals. Delicious! Makes a great side to grill food!
I’ve been curious about cucumber soup for quite a while. I never made it because we never had extra cucumbers that needed using. That has changed. This year I have the best cucumbers I have ever tasted growing right in my greenhouse.
They are sweet and perfect. No heartburn or burping; pure refreshment. Just slice them up and eat them, and eat them…and eat them! We have been eating them in wraps, salsa, dips, plain, with salt, juiced, with ranch…I’m learning lots of lovely new recipes that use these green wonders.
My skin is totally excellent right now. Everyone who visits us gets cucumbers as a door prize. Remember the zucchini lady jokes? I am the cucumber lady this year. Today, I have lots of cucumbers in the fridge, I’m making cucumber soup!
Cold Cucumber Soup Instruction walkthrough:
Start with two large, sweet cucumbers, the long English cucumbers work great.
- Cut the cucumbers lengthwise.
- Seed them. A ice cream scoop makes quick work of seeding cucumbers. Just one swipe down the long half and you’re done!
- I’m leaving the skins on because I love the dark green color accents in the soup. If your cucumbers have bitter skin, best remove it.
- Chop the all ingredients up to facilitate easy blending.
- Use your lemon carefully, Some people like a little lemon, and others, a lot. I used two, but it overwhelmed the soup in my opinion, so I suggest just one.
- Fresh onions, dill, cucumbers and garlic right from our garden. Chop it all up and throw it in the blender! If you have fresh parsley use that, I had dried today.
- After you have all the ingredients in the blender. blend it in pulses and don’t overdo it. Some texture in the soup is nice, I think
Once blended, pour the soup base into a stirring bowl and wWhisk the greek yogurt into it.
- Take a close look at the yogurt I’m using. It’s my homemade Greek yogurt. I have my yogurt strained very thick because I like it that way and it’s a really good texture and thickness for many recipes. Endlessly useful stuff! Homemade Greek yogurt is easy and cheap to make and SO versatile! It made a good, thick soup with lots of body.
If you want yogurt this thick and don’t intend to make your own, you will need to strain the yogurt after you buy it, at least an hour, through a clean wet T-shirt into a strainer, or through cheesecloth. Or…you may prefer a looser soup. In that case, store bought will be fine.
- Finally, a word about the garnish. I really enjoyed the flavor bump the Smoked Paprika and Himalayan Salt gave this soup. Use it for garnish, and if you like it stir it in and add more to your taste.
- Serve this soup in small bowls, garnished and ready to go. Imagine a large group of attractive little bowls of this soup, on a buffet table, or at a more formal setting, wouldn’t these be cute? Enjoy!
Serve a light, healthy meal without turning on the stove. Cold Cucumber soup is easy to make. Blended fresh vegetables and herbs whisked into low-fat, high protein, Greek yogurt. Delicious! Makes a great side to grill food!
- 2 large sweet cucumbers, 2 1/4 pounds, halved and seeded—1/2 cup finely diced, the rest coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups plain, very thick Greek yogurt
- Juice of one large lemon, sieved
- 2 small shallots, or 1 large, young garden onion top, chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh dill leaves and flower heads
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley leaves
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- smoked paprika to taste
- Seed the cucumbers and rough chop for the blender. If your cucumbers have bitter skin,remove it.
- Chop the shallots, onion,garlic and dill to facilitate easy blending.
- Juice one lemon
- Put all the ingredients in the blender. Blend it in pulses to a smooth but textured puree.
- Once blended, pour the soup base into a stirring bowl and whisk the Greek yogurt into it.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 179