These crunchy cornmeal cookies make a tasty snack! Bake these quick and easy Low Sodium treats anytime.
Spring is busy around here! Outdoor projects keep us so busy it’s hard to get excited about cooking. Lately I’m trying hard to keep ahead of our ever encroaching weed population. I have been onto landscape fabric as my latest strategy for managing our huge flower beds. I need comfort food whilst I consider the monumental weed problems here! These cookies deliver!
About a week ago I stopped by our local landscape place and picked up two large rolls of landscape fabric. I have done one small and one large flower bed so far. I landscaped another small walk around our raised beds in the garden. And then I covered it in gravel and added a small concrete block border. That was hard, sweaty work…which just goes to show how out of shape I am now. Time to throw off the winter sloth! But maybe I need a cookie…
Every where I look I see more weedy flower beds and walkways and out of control areas that need structure and gravel and mulch. I’m getting ideas about landscape fabric under gravel with nice neat borders everywhere! It would be so nice to have a subdued weed population for a while. That’s a LOT of work. Thinking it over…while I munch a crunchy cornmeal yummy.
These cornmeal cookies are great just plain. But the chocolate ganache made a really nice dip for them too! Very comforting and yummy.
I’m putting it in my hubby’s ear that he needs to get the old tractor out and ‘do’ the driveway. which means scrape the weeds off and spread new , pretty gravel on top. Such a nice look! And around the greenhouse the weeds are already knee-deep! A weed free zone around the greenhouse would make it look sharp! I’ll get on that…pretty soon…. for now… another cookie is nice.
Crunchy Cornmeal Cookies:
I used Bob’s Red Mill Medium grind Organic Cornmeal. It made REALLY crunchy cookies! We all enjoyed them. The chocolate ganache makes a nice flavor and texture contrast in this recipe. Use fine ground cornmeal for a less crunchy cookie. They will still be delicious!
Here’s the method:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer with a dough blade.
- Beat together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs, vanilla and 2/3 Cup cornmeal, flour and salt.
- Blend until smooth
- Shape into tsp. sized balls
- Roll in remaining cornmeal
- Place balls about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Press the cookies with bottom of a glass dipped in cornmeal.
- Flatten to 1/4 inch thick
- Press about 1/2 tsp. of almonds into the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes
(For the Ganache)
- Put the chocolate chips and milk together in a small microwavable bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Let sit a minute and then stir until smooth. Frost while the ganache is warm.
- Once the cookies are cooled frost or dip as desired with the ganache. It will set up after a while or you can enjoy them in the gooey gooey stage. Delicious!
Here’s the Printable recipe: