Delicious Delicata Squash sautè with dates and pomegranate seeds creates a wonderfully flavorful, healthy side dish. A Balanced, Low-Sodium, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free dish. Add this recipe to your Fall and Winter menu plans!
Need an easy vegan, vegetarian side dish on your holiday table? Delicata squash, medjool dates, pomegranate seeds sautéed together offer so much more than mere beauty and ease.
Delicata Squash Sautè Recipe is full of excellent nutritional benefits from all of it’s ingredients.
Looking for more yummy Recipes? Explore our Appetizers, Side dishes, salads, and desserts for healthy recipes and some delicious indulgences.
Delicata Squash Plant:
Our Delicata squash plant was grown right here in our garden. Until about three years ago we had never heard of them. My mom brought us some starts from a plant sale she attended once. It has been true love ever since.
This year we planted this easy to grow squash plant as a sunshade to trail over our chicken run. The chickens enjoyed the shade provided by the vines and how nice to have garden fresh winter squash in November.
Delicata is a truly lovely winter squash. With a it’s beautiful striped skin, oblong shape and showy ridges they stand out in the squash crowd. I use them as decorations for a month or more in the fall so we can enjoy them. They slowly disappear from our baskets and countertops and into our Fall and Winter meals.
This recipe will also work with Butternut and Hubbard squash:
- As a side dish or light lunch this squash recipe is one of the best for several winter squashes with a few adjustments.
- Delicata make a really lovely presentation you won’t easily replicate with other winter squash. However, If you have a butternut or hubbard use them in this recipe too.
- You will need to cut them into small 1/2 inch pieces or longer strips of about that thickness. Then just follow the recipe.
Recipe notes for Delicata Squash Sautè:
We recommend organic extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil. All of these oils have beneficial properties and great flavor to add to this recipe.
Prepping Tips for the ingredients in this recipe are all shown in the video:
If you prefer to read about the preparation of this dish:
- Slice the squash into 1/4 inch thick rounds and leave the SKINS ON. Fortunately the beautiful striped skin cooks tender and tastes great so we can enjoy those pops of color right through to the table. And the ridges add so much to the look of this dish.
- With a spoons scrape the seeds out of the rounds
Pomegranate-remove the seeds:
- Score the pomegranate skin all the way round
- Cut (or twist) the pomegranate in half
- Take one half of the pomegranate and invert it with your hand over a bowl
- With a heavy spoon tap the pomegranate and let the seeds fall into the bowl.
Prep the ginger:
- With a sharp knife peel the ginger skin off to reveal the stringy insides
- Cut the ginger across the grain and then dice into small parts.
Seed the dates:
- Cut each date lengthwise to reveal the seed
- remove the seed and cut the date into slices for the sautè
Make this vegetarian sautè side dish easily in a skillet, in about 15 minutes. The dates, ginger and pomegranates go in right at the end to just warm them up a bit as the squash is cooked. The best part is they all taste great together!
I love these delicious Bohemian squash (another name for our delicata squash) with pomegranate seeds and medjool dates. Beth over at OMGYummy did an awesome post on this flavor combo. That’s where I first saw Delicatas teamed up with pomegranate seeds. I had to give it a try and I’m so glad I did . Thanks Beth!
Enjoy this healthy festive side dish for your Fall and winter family meals or a lovely easy holiday side dish.
This lovely side dish contains several antioxidants and many nutrients. Sautè Delicata with pomegranate seeds, fresh ginger and medjool dates in a healthy oil is a nutritional gold mine.
Here is a summary of the health benefits of each of these Delicious ingredients.
- Delicata Squash Nutrition: Lower in carbs than sweet potatoes AND high in fiber, like most squash and loaded with vitamins A and C. Delicata squash makes a great base for many healthy dishes.
- Ginger Nutrition: We actually wrote an entire post you can read on 10 Natural Benefits of Ginger.
- Pomegranate Nutrition: pomegranates contain a lot of fiber, potassium and other healthy nutrients.
- Medjool Dates Nutrition: Dates Are full of fiber and also contain potassium, copper and other nutrients.
Your Printable Recipe:
- A lovely healthy vegetarian side dish with beautiful color and texture. This beautiful winter squash is caramelized and gently sauteèd with other healthy ingredients.
- 1 large Delicata squash sliced into rounds and seeded
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup sliced medjool dates
- 1 tsp. Fresh ginger sliced and diced
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon coconut, olive or avocado oil
- Prep the veggies
- Heat the oil in a large skillet set to medium,
- Place the squash rounds flat in the skillet and cook until brown.
- Now turn the squash and add the dates, diced ginger, pomegranate seeds and maple syrup.
- Continue to cook until the squash is browned on both sides and soft.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 153
Resources for nutritional information: