Delicious Delicata Squash sautè with dates and pomegranate seeds creates a wonderfully flavorful, healthy side dish. A Balanced, Low-Sodium, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free dish. Add this recipe to your Fall and Winter menu plans!
Need an easy vegan, vegetarian side dish on your holiday table? Delicata squash, medjool dates, pomegranate seeds sautéed together offer so much more than mere beauty and ease.
Delicata Squash Sautè Recipe is full of excellent nutritional benefits from all of it’s ingredients.
Watch me Make this Recipe. In the video I show you how to seed a pomegranate easily. And How to cook Delicata squash in a skillet in just a few minutes.
This is a healthy side dish recipe. Pan fried delicata squash recipe is light and full of delicious ingredients. It only take a few minutes on your stove top.
This easy winter squash recipe makes an easy side dish the whole family will love. Make a double batch for a large crowd. It’s easy to serve straight out of the skillet or on a pretty platter. The colors and flavors are a big seller for this pan fried delicata squash.
Looking for more yummy Recipes? Explore our Appetizers, Side dishes, salads, and desserts for healthy recipes and some delicious indulgences.
Delicata Squash Sautè
Delicata Squash Plant:
Our Delicata squash plant was grown right here in our garden. Until about three years ago we had never heard of them. My mom brought us some starts from a plant sale she had attended recently. It has been true love ever since.
This year we planted this easy to grow squash plant as a sunshade to trail over our chicken run. The chickens enjoyed the shade provided by the vines and how nice to have garden fresh winter squash in November.
Delicata is a truly lovely winter squash. With a it’s beautiful striped skin, oblong shape and showy ridges they stand out in the squash crowd. I use them as decorations for a month or more in the fall so we can enjoy them. They slowly disappear from our baskets and countertops and into our Fall and Winter meals.
Healthy Vegetable Side Dish:
I REALLY love this easy vegetable side dish for a quick addition to our winter dinner meal plans. Sauteed delicata squash is ready in only about 15 minutes. And it’s FULL of exciting flavors and textures.
This recipe will also work with Butternut and Hubbard squash:
- As a side dish or light lunch this winter squash recipe is one of the best for several winter squashes with a few adjustments.
- Delicata makes a really lovely presentation you won’t easily replicate with other winter squash. However, If you have a butternut or hubbard use them in this recipe too.
- You will need to cut them into small 1/2 inch pieces or longer strips of about that thickness. Then just follow the recipe.
Recipe notes for Delicata Squash Sautè:
Watch the video to learn how to Sautè delicata squash.
We recommend organic extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil. All of these oils have beneficial properties and great flavor to add to this recipe.
Prepping Tips for the ingredients in this recipe are all shown in the video:
If you prefer to read about the preparation of this dish:
- Slice the squash into 1/4 inch thick rounds and leave the SKINS ON. Fortunately the beautiful striped skin cooks tender and tastes great so we can enjoy those pops of color right through to the table. And the ridges add so much to the look of this dish.
- With a spoons scrape the seeds out of the rounds
Pomegranate-remove the seeds:
- Score the pomegranate skin all the way round
- Cut (or twist) the pomegranate in half
- Take one half of the pomegranate and invert it with your hand over a bowl
- With a heavy spoon tap the pomegranate and let the seeds fall into the bowl.
Prep the ginger:
- With a sharp knife peel the ginger skin off to reveal the stringy insides
- Cut the ginger across the grain and then dice into small parts.
Seed the dates:
- Cut each date lengthwise to reveal the seed
- remove the seed and cut the date into slices for the sautè
Make this vegetarian sautè side dish easily in a skillet, in about 15 minutes. The dates, ginger and pomegranates go in right at the end to just warm them up a bit as the squash is cooked. The best part is they all taste great together!
I love these delicious Bohemian squash (another name for our delicata squash) with pomegranate seeds and medjool dates. Beth over at OMGYummy did an awesome post on this flavor combo. That’s where I first saw Delicatas teamed up with pomegranate seeds. I had to give it a try and I’m so glad I did . Thanks Beth!
Enjoy this healthy festive side dish for your Fall and winter family meals or a lovely easy holiday side dish.
Here is a summary of the health benefits of each of these Delicious ingredients.
This lovely side dish contains several antioxidants and many nutrients. Sautè Delicata with pomegranate seeds, fresh ginger and medjool dates in a healthy oil is a nutritional gold mine.
- Delicata Squash Nutrition:
- Lower in carbs than sweet potatoes AND high in fiber.
- Like most squash and loaded with vitamins A and C.
- Delicata squash makes a great base for many healthy dishes.
- Ginger Nutrition: We actually wrote an entire post you can read on 10 Natural Benefits of Ginger.
- Pomegranate Nutrition: pomegranates contain a lot of fiber, potassium and other healthy nutrients.
- Medjool Dates Nutrition: Dates Are full of fiber and also contain potassium, copper and other nutrients.
Your Printable Recipe:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 147 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 13mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 19g Protein: 2g
Resources for nutritional information: