Morel Mushroom Vegetable Saute is a easy to make, Low-Carb, Low-Sugar, Gluten free, Vegetarian side dish. Want it vegan? Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Done in 30 minutes!
The most astonishing thing! Morel Mushrooms have volunteered themselves right into our garden’s onion row! Strange things happen when you’re gone for a few days. Spring is such a gift. These mushrooms are a delightful find! Call us happy, if confused.
Morels apparently love the cardboard (and little bit of drywall Dave used) to cover the lower garden. They are growing up around the edges of it. Peek a boo!
We were doing a garden visit yesterday at dusk and Dave found them. He was so shocked he could hardly tell me what they were! So guess what we had for dinner last night. We invited our mushroom loving son over too. He wholeheartedly approved of mushrooms for dinner. I used our garden onions, and garlic too. Springtime!
I had no idea how to cook or prepare Morels, so I went hunting for some ideas on google. I found some rather intriguing ways to cook Morels. This is my contribution.
This recipe is a yummy, healthy side dish. I love the delicate balance of flavors. The onion, pepper and garlic balanced out the Morels and soy sauce nicely. it all worked so well I’m delighted to share it with you. If you’re looking for a yummy way to serve Morels (or similar mushroom) this is a great recipe! I love the soy sauce addition for a bit of extra flavor.
[tweetthis hidden_urls=”pic.twitter.com/ojBgsKtZII”]Morel #Mushrooms Vegetable Saute #easy to make #LowCarb #LowSugar #Vegetarian #sidedish.[/tweetthis]
Morel Mushroom Vegetable Saute Recipe Notes:
Morel Mushroom Prep tips:
Morels Mushrooms have very frilly tops that catch a lot of dirt and debris (and bugs). There are several ideas out there about how to properly prep a Morel for cooking. Here is what we did:
- Cut off the stem and lay the tops out on a paper towel.
- cut the tops in half and shake out the bugs (there were just one or two).
- Carefully examine the frills for webs, worms and dirt. (pick them out of those frilly holes if necessary).
- Finally rinse them off and lay them on a new paper towel to dry while prepping the other veggies.
- Chop the pepper, garlic and onion into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat melt the avocado oil.
- Add the chopped vegetables and cook until almost done ( about 5 minutes)
- Add the prepped morels, either in the halves or chopped smaller as you prefer.
- Pour in the chicken(or vegetable) stock and stir a few minutes to heat.
- Add the butter and soy sauce. Cook until the morels are soft but not completely mushy (about five minutes)
I Serve this recipe as a side dish or light meal with a loaf of warmed artisan bread and butter!
Morel Mushroom Vegetable Saute
Recipe inspiration from: SeriousEats.com