Slow Cooker Beef Dijon is a delicious way to spruce up a round steak dinner! Tenderize an other wise tough cut of beef into a melt in your mouth, juicy, beef dinner! Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or a slice of homemade bread and a fresh green salad for a full meal that you will love.
We have a large selection of slow cooker and Instant pot recipes for you to explore if you are looking for more meal ideas. Anything from soup and chili to all-in-one noodle dinners and meat recipes like this one. Just explore the tabs for more.
Slow cooking is a great way to tenderize an otherwise tough cut of beef. Today we are recreating a recipe and adapting it for the slow cooker. This recipe was found in a Grey Poupon Dijon mustard box and whenever we can utilize the slow cooker or Instant pot, you know we do.
What is the best way to cook round steak so it is tender?
Round steaks can be a challenging cut to enjoy as they are lean and can be tough when they are cooked. The best way to prepare them is with moisture through slow cooking and braising, moisture is necessary to tenderize the meat. Cooking round steaks in liquid will also yield a scrumptious natural gravy that you can enjoy with your meal.
We love using the Crockpot for these steaks because it naturally tenderizes the meat while allowing for deep flavor development. It’s a fantastic option for many meats.
What is round steak good for?
Round steak is a lean cut that lacks natural fat to keep it moist and tender, therefore it needs to be prepared either in a sauce or gravy style dish that will help to retain its flavor and tenderize it by slowly cooking it in liquid. Round steaks can also be used by cutting them up and eating them in dishes such as beef carnitas, beef stew, or a chunky beef chili.
Recipe Notes on Slow Cooker Beef Dijon:
- Season steaks with pepper.
- Heat oils in a large skillet on high heat.
- Add steaks, and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until seared.
- Remove to your slow cooker.
- Pour the skillet drippings, onions and half the mushrooms over the meat and cook on low for four hours.
- Remove the steaks, mushrooms and onions to a serving plate. Add the remaining fresh mushrooms over the steaks.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, whipping cream and the steak drippings from the slow cooker.
- Put into a gravy server.
- At serving pour the sauce over the steaks. It’s also good on riced cauliflower, rice or potatoes!
Can this recipe be made with other cuts of beef?
This recipe can definitely be prepared with other cuts of beef as its a very versatile and simplistic way to cook beef. Round steaks or other tougher cuts are a good choice simply because they require the liquid and slow cook time to tenderize and develop flavor.
More expensive cuts that have higher fat content could be used but you definitely don’t want to spend a lot of money on a steak for a recipe like this. Save those high end cuts for a grill night where they can shine, and use the inexpensive cuts for recipes like this one.
Slow Cooker Beef Dijon is a delicious way to spruce up a round steak dinner! Tenderize an other wise tough cut of beef. into a melt in your mouth, juicy, beefy dinner!
- 4 6oz. steaks
- 2 Tablespoons steak pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar or dry sherry
- 4 Tablespoons large green onions, chopped or small onions chopped (extra for garnish)
- 1/4 Cup whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 Cup fresh crimini mushrooms, sliced
- Season steaks with pepper.
- Heat oils in a large skillet on high heat. Add steaks, and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until seared
- Place steaks in your slow cooker
- Pour the skillet drippings, onions and half the mushrooms over the meat and cook on low for four hours
- Remove the steaks, mushrooms and onions to a serving plate
- Add the remaining fresh mushrooms over the steaks
- In a separate bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, whipping cream and the steak drippings from the slow cooker
- At serving pour the sauce over the steaks
- It's also good on rice cauliflower, rice or potatoes!
- Serve alongside a green salad or soup for a complete meal
Amount Per Serving Calories 691Total Fat 52gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 28gCholesterol 189mgSodium 247mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 48g
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Best Spicy Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
- Delicious Dark Chocolate Berry Bars with Toasted Pistachio
- Light and Fluffy Sourdough Discard Doughnuts Recipe
- Exploring Freeze Drying Vs Dehydrating
- How to Freeze Dry Beef: A Simple Guide
Original recipe by Kraft Foods