Westport Clam Fritters. Made from fresh or fresh frozen clams dug right here in Westport Washington.
These Clam Fritters are coated with an easy to make, seasoned breading batter; with chopped fresh veggies and fried in coconut oil.
Enjoy this simple, delicious seafood dinner after a clam dig or buy clams frozen and add a salad for a quick nutritious meal.
Westport Washington is one of the best razor clam beaches in United States. The razor clams are real beauties.
Read all about our family vacations at the beach in my Mom’s Homemade Clam Chowder Recipe! Load up the kids and go. You’ll love it there. But maybe not in January.
My sister Susie lives in a cute little beach cabin surrounded by cranberry bogs. She is an AVID clam digger. We went down for a visit.
Normally, Susie would be out at the beach with her clam shovel. But POURING down rain and her fair weather company (Dave and I aren’t into rainy, cold beach experiences) kept her in.
She pulled some fresh frozen clams out and defrosted them for her special recipe of clam fritters. We loved them. I’m sharing this delicious clam fritter recipe with you.
Recipe Notes and Walkthrough for Westport Clam Fritters:
Prepare your fresh clams. If you need help cleaning them look at clam cleaning guide and Susie’s YOUTUBE videos links below the recipe walkthrough.
- After your clams are defrosted or fresh cleaned chop them up fine.
- Then chop up your preferred vegetables. Susie considers green onions a must for the best flavor.
- Add garlic, peppers and whatever else you prefer.
- We had some cooked bacon and threw that in. It tasted great with the clams.
- Make sure your fritters hold together. Use a stickier fritter batter (maybe add an extra egg) if you’re using a lot of veggies and mince them fine.
The batter can be adjusted by adding more dry batter mix or more eggs to accommodate your ingredients.
Too loose and the fritters will fall apart. Too sticky and they may burn or have uncooked middles.
- Add in your clams and stir it all up.
- Ladle the mixture with a large spoon or ladle into your heated oil with space in between so they form patties as they cook.
The Batter Ingredients:
Susie made it clear that the best clam fritter batter recipe depends on the seasonings and flour mix you use.
- I’m including the picture of the Trader Joe seasonings Susie used in case you need to improvise.
- She also recommends Pride of the West Baking mix for best flavor. ( I linked it in the recipe card ingredients list)
Coconut oil is a great choice for this recipe. The medium heat won’t damage the healthy properties of coconut oil. And the flavor of coconut oil is so good in this recipe.
Avocado oil would also work here. It’s a heart healthy high heat oil.
Olive oil would be destroyed at this temperature and, in fact, goes toxic when overheated. Save olive oil for your salad dressings.
Yes, regular old vegetable oil will work. But you will lose some flavor and it’s not the best for your health.
How to Prepare Clams:
Clam fritter recipes with fresh clams requires a bit of prep. Fresh caught clams are full of sand and need proper cleaning. No one wants a clam recipe that breaks the teeth.
Cleaning Fresh Razor Clams:
Fresh caught clams are live, dirty and sandy. Here is your Fresh Clam Cleaning Guide. links to Susie’s videos follow if you need further help.
- Throw your live clams into a pot of Roiling boiling hot water for 20 seconds or so until they are dead. Do NOT keep them in the water too long. We are not intending to cook them.
- Remove the clams from the hot water. The shells should open and the clams should pretty much fall out or release with a slight yank.
- Hold each clam with the frilled edge up and the digger to the bottom of your hand.
- Run the clam under fresh water and cut the tip off (top of your clam) and discard.
- Cut up the ruffled edge (called a zipper).
- Cut up under the tip (there is a second layer of skin-go under it and cut).(videos have details)
- Open the clam and lay it on your palm under the running cold water.
- This exposes the digger. Cut away the entire bulging digger section including the stomach. Cut the stomach away from the digger and set the digger aside.
- Run the opened clam under water and carefully remove the sand from the zipper.
- With your thumb carefully slide any remaining sand out of the crevices of the clam. Its cleaned.
- Now return to the digger. Cut it open and wash away all the dirty smushy stuff. Digger is ceaned.
Susie made these three short videos to take you through the process of preparing fresh caught razor clams from live caught to fully cleaned.
Frozen Clams for Clam Fritters:
Susie used clean frozen clams for this dinner. She couldn’t get us out on the beach poor girl.
Just defrost the clams to room temperature and chop them into bite sized pieces. Use as directed in the recipe.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
This Clam Fritters recipe is made with an easy to make, seasoned breading batter. It includes chopped fresh veggies and the fritters are fried in coconut oil or avocado oil. Enjoy this simple, delicious seafood dinner after a clam dig or buy clams frozen and add a salad for a quick nutritious meal.
- 4 Cups minced razor Clams
- 1/2 Cup cooked minced bacon-undrained
- 8 green onions-minced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp.baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
- 1 tsp.Trader Joe's Everyday Seasonings or equivalent
- 1/2 Cup All- purpose Batter Mix (Susie recommends Pride of the West brand
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 1/2 Cups coconut oil or canola or avocado oil
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add milk, eggs and seasonings to taste.
- Sir well until the consistency is like pancake batter.
- Add bacon, minced onions and clams (optional mushrooms, rolled oats, peppers, garlic shallots ect.).
- Heat the coconut oil to a depth of one inch in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Spoon the fritter batter into the heated coconut oil and cook till golden.
- Flip the fritters and cook until golden.
Amount Per Serving Calories 452Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 24gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 93mgSodium 1125mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 25g
The oil is used for frying and not evenly divided between the fritters. So the nutritional information is only approximate. You won't get this many calories unless you pour the drippings over a side dish.
Enjoy these clam fritters. Susie sends this recipe with her compliments!