This Angel Food Cake recipe is Low-Fat and Dairy-Free! A tender moist cake that is delicious just plain! When I was a kid, my grandma always made homemade angel food cake desserts from scratch .
My Grandma Cash’s angel food cake is remembered to this day as a special Easter and summer dessert at family parties. She served her angel food cake with berries and whipped cream. She didn’t fuss with it much. She was proud of her angel cake. It was her only low fat dessert and she let us know. She made it out to be a diet dessert. Well okay Grandma!
I baked with cake mixes for a long long time. My generation was trained on them. Easy and cheap. Now I prefer making real food from scratch.
The boxed cakes cannot compare to this scratch recipe flavor. And who needs those extra unpronounceable ingredients? Grandma would be horrified at what’s in our food now, if she knew!
To make this Angel Cake, I dug around in my grandma’s Cookbook for her angel food recipe. I’ve had a lot of fun resurrecting and improving the nutrition of Grandma’s recipes.
The green cookbook is HER mom’s 1940 American Woman’s cookbook. Both are nostalgic treasures. Full of precious handwritten notes and recipes. Also full of great advice for homemakers!
Our chickens got me started down the angel food path. They are delivering about a dozen eggs a DAY right now. I need dessert recipes to use those eggs. Angel cake is perfect for that. Strawberry season is here! Angel cake makes a great strawberry shortcake; and uses about a dozen egg whites. Nice!
And the extra egg yolks make fantastic homemade ice creams. Recipes for desserts are handled while I get ahead of the egg over supply. My Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, and Chocolate Cherry Custard Ice Cream recipes are a perfect fit for those extra egg yolks this Angel food recipe creates. Happy days! My ice cream maker was humming in the background while I was making Angel Food Cake!
I adapted my recipe from Grandma’s An American Woman’s Cook Book angel cake recipe. I Gathered up some ideas I found along the way; And went for it! This recipe works really well. Enjoy!
Angel Food Cake Recipe:
I was a bit intimidated by this recipe. Once I made it, I realized it’s not hard. Just different! And very handy!
Some reasons to fall in love with Angel food cake:
- This is a great make ahead dessert. Angel cake tastes even better the day after it’s made!
- Angel cake is a durable traveler for potlucks and parties. Travel it wrapped in Plastic wrap unfrosted, or on a cake plate with a cover, frosted.
- Angel cake, unfrosted, freezes well. Make more than one at a time and wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze the extra for a fast dessert!
- Angel cake will sit out at room temperature covered on a cake plate for several days and retain its freshness!
- Angel food cake is versatile. It can be served in so many ways! I can’t wait to try it in trifles, layered ice cream cakes, and other yummy desserts!
- Angel food cake calories are pretty low at about 100 calories per slice. Angel food cake is also low-fat and a dairy-free dessert. It’s not exactly healthy food but it is certainly a HEALTHIER dessert idea.
COMPLETE RECIPE TIME: About three hours
- INGREDIENTS PREP TIME: About an hour: This is about separating and setting out the egg whites so they can warm to room temp before you make the recipe. That’s IMPORTANT so do it! Prepping the sugar and flour is done is less than 10 minutes easily while you are warming the egg whites.
- MAKE TIME about 20 minutes
- BAKE TIME: About 35 minutes
- COOL DOWN TIME INVERTED: At least an hour
So you can see the recipe time is mostly passive time for you. This recipe is really not at all difficult.
SERVES AT LEAST 16:
Let’s make it: Here’s a walkthrough.
Prepare your ingredients ahead of time, as needed:
NOTE: This recipe calls for cake flour and superfine sugar. I keep neither of these ingredients in my pantry. Instead, I make my own.You can buy cake flour and superfine sugar if you prefer or use it if you have it.
This is how I make Angel food Cake:
Prep the ingredients:
WARM THE EGG WHITES-About an hour Ahead: Separate eggs and allow the egg whites to reach room temperature. This helps the egg whites make a lighter meringue.
MAKE The cake flour: The recipe is one cup of all purpose flour Minus 2 Tablespoons. Now add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch to the flour and sift at least four times.
MAKE THE Superfine sugar: I stock organic large grind sugar in my pantry. To make superfine sugar I put my organic sugar into myfood processor ( I LOVE it!)about a minute and pulse it till it’s almost a powder. This helps the sugar dissolve in the recipe so you don’t have a gritty textured cake. Some People use powdered icing sugar. Just saying…
CAKE MAKING INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- With a sifter(This sifter is so pretty),Sift 3/4 Cup Superfine sugar and the prepared cake flour together 4 times.
- With an electric hand held mixer(Here is mine) in a large mixing bowl(This is a good stainless set with lids!), Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, lemon juice until foamy. (NOTE: Cream of tartar is optional. If you don’t have it: add one teaspoon of salt at this point. Lemon juice and cream of tartar are in the recipe to help build and stabilize the meringue. Salt and lemon juice together, will stabilize the meringue.)
- Add remaining sugar, a little at a time, beating it in with your electric mixer.
- Add flavorings and beat until the meringue is glossy and peaks like this:
Fold in flour like this
- Sift a third of the flour at a time over the stiff egg whites. After each flour addition; Fold in the flour as below:
- Fold with a large rubber or silicone spatula by GENTLY cutting through the meringue center and lifting the meringue from underneath. Now fold it over and start at the center again. Repeat until the flour is folded in.
- THE MERINGUE, IF PROPERLY MADE, WILL BE LOOSE. IT SHOULD NOT BREAK APART WHEN MIXED, OR IT’S OVER BEATEN.
- Pour into a large UNGREASED 10 inch tube pan.
- Cut through the batter in vertical, concentric circles with a kitchen knife to remove the large air bubbles. The top will settle down into a fine swirl pattern if you cut the bubbles in this way. HOLD THE KNIFE VERTICAL TO DISTURB THE MERINGUE AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.
- Set in oven and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake top comes out clean. The top will be golden brown and cracked.
- Remove from oven and invert pan for 1 hour.
- invert the cake pan immediately after baking to prevent the cake from compressing. Once completely cold, Remove from cake pan and set on a cake carrier for travel or this cake plate with lidfor your home.
If you purchase items from our affiliate links we may receive a small commision. Thank you for supporting Homemade Food Junkie.
This Angel Food Cake recipe is Low-Fat and Dairy-Free! A tender moist cake that is delicious plain. Make this angel food cake for strawberry shortcake and other light desserts your family will enjoy. Add favorite toppings to change it up. This easy to make recipe Freezes well too. BEFORE YOU BEGIN: MAKE THE CAKE: BAKE AND COOLING Serve plain with toppings or Frost if desired.
Prepare your ingredients:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 109 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 85mg Carbohydrates: 20g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 13g Protein: 6g
This Angel Food Cake recipe is Low-Fat and Dairy-Free! A tender moist cake that is delicious plain. Make this angel food cake for strawberry shortcake and other light desserts your family will enjoy. Add favorite toppings to change it up. This easy to make recipe Freezes well too.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
MAKE THE CAKE:
BAKE AND COOLING
Serve plain with toppings or Frost if desired.