Grandma Cash’s Hamburger Bean Casserole is a must have on our family party menu. This recipe is now in our family’s second and third generation kitchens, as a “have to have” for summer events.
This is an excellent High-Fiber, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free side dish. I take this recipe along to a party, family picnic. It’s even been to a country style wedding reception.
This is a simple dish to make and can be served as a side or a main dish for dinner. We have instructions for baking this casserole in the oven, slow cooking it in a crockpot, or whipping it up in the Instant pot.
This baked bean casserole recipe is an excellent grill side. Try it with Grilled Salmon kabobs, Grilled Sausage Zucchini Tomato kabobs or Nathan’s Italian Style Hamburgers for a delicious summer meal.
Hamburger Bean Casserole
I have made Hamburger Bean Casserole on my old wood cook stove, in an oven, and in my crock pot. I have an instant pot now so I have instructions for that below too. This great recipe is versatile.
Grandma’s Hamburger Bean Casserole is a family treasure.
We remember her bringing this rich, thick, bean dish full of hamburgery-bacony, tangy-sweet flavor to our family events.
Hamburger Baked Bean Casserole was always present right next to her Pasta Salad at our summer family parties.
I served it with glazed Ham and Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Salad at our Easter Celebration. It’s always a hit.
When I see this dish laid out on a potluck table I remember grandma. Now I’m the Grandma sharing this old classic with my grandchildren. The legacy continues. Hope you love it like we do!
Baked Bean Casserole Recipe:
This easy recipe is pretty healthy for a potluck dish or grill side. I recommend organic hamburger and natural unprocessed bacon. This is an easy recipe to switch out ingredients to suit dietary needs. We have a few tips and tricks to make this the yummiest casserole.
What Goes with Hamburger Bean Casserole?
Hamburger Bean Casserole is a filling dish that can be eaten as a main course. Here are a few of our favorite sides to serve with the Hamburger bean casserole:
- Green Salad
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Hot Dogs
- Barbecued Meat
- Potato Salad
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Corn (creamed corn, corn on the cob, sweet corn etc)
Can you Make a Casserole with Baked Beans?
You can make a casserole with baked beans. Baked beans are already cooked and seasoned making them an easy addition into a casserole. Dried beans take a long time to cook and prepare for use. Using baked beans makes for a quick and easy casserole. This recipe uses two cans of baked beans
Do you Cook Bacon before adding it into Bean Casserole?
Bacon is best if it is pan fried before adding it to the bean casserole. Meat that has been browned or pan seared will have flavor locked in. This also helps the bacon have a delicious crispy texture. Baking raw bacon into a casserole may result in limp cooked bacon. For best results always sear the bacon in a pan before adding it to a bean casserole.
How Long do you Cook Baked Bean Casserole?
Baked bean casserole needs to be cooked at least 40 minutes in an oven heated to 350 F. Baked Bean casserole is thick and requires a longer cooking time than thinner casseroles. Make sure that the casserole is hot and bubbling before removing it from the oven. The liquid around the beans should be bubbling around the edge of the casserole dish.
The kidney beans, Pork and Beans and baked beans are all loaded with fiber. Add the protein and sweet smoky flavor. It’s a winner.
How do you make Hamburger Bean Casserole?
Here is the visual quick guide for the baked bean casserole oven method.
Please also see our oven method in the video demonstration. We have included instructions for the crockpot and instant pot for you below.
In your slow cooker:
Browning the meat and bacon beforehand is preferred for best flavor and texture. Put it all into a crockpot and set to high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
In an Instant pot:
- Saute’ the hamburger and bacon until thoroughly cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients and give it a stir.
- Now set the instant pot on manual for 5 minutes. Natural release and serve!
- You can also use the slow cook function on your instant pot if you prefer. Saute’ as instructed and then set the instant pot for whatever number of hours you need and place an instant pot vented lid on top
This delicious Bean and hamburger Casserole is a rich, thick healthy bean dish your family will love.
This is an easy crowd pleaser no matter how you make it. Or where. Seriously, make it on your Coleman stove or campfire. Take this one anywhere!
Your Printable Recipe Card:
This delicious hamburger bean casserole is a favorite at potlucks and holidays. Full of wonderful smoky flavors. It vanishes FAST at a party. Main dish or side!
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 lb. bacon cut into one inch slices
- 1/2 C onion, to taste
- 2 28 ounce cans baked beans
- 1 28 ounce can pork and beans
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, if using.
- In a large skillet Brown and drain the hamburger, bacon and onion.
- Add the Baked beans, pork and beans and kidney beans
- In a small bowl, Mix together brown sugar, vinegar and dry mustard.
- Pour into a 3 quart baking dish and bake for 40 minutes
CROCK POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Browning the meat and bacon beforehand is preferred for flavor. Put it all into a crockpot and set to high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- On saute' function-Brown the hamburger and bacon until thoroughly cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients and give it a stir.
- Set the instant pot on manual for 5 minutes. Natural release and serve. Use the keep warm function for a long event.
- You can also use the slow cook function on your instant pot if you prefer. Saute' as instructed and then set the instant pot on slow cook function for whatever number of hours you need and place an instant pot vented lid on top.
This is a gluten free recipe IF you use gluten free baked beans and pork and beans.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 292
More Delicious Recipes:
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
This recipe is a repost with all new pictures and updated instructions to include the Instant pot.
Recipe Source: Grandma Cash’s easy potluck recipe from way way back