Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole is a filling, hearty make ahead sausage and egg casserole. Perfect for large crowds and holiday breakfasts and brunches! This casserole is nutritionally balanced and low sugar!
Look at the lovely layers of flavor in this casserole. Egg soaked french bread, layered with dried tomatoes and leafy greens. Cooked bacon, sausage, onion and pepper strips cover the first layer. Shredded Mozzarella and Smoked gouda cheeses coat the top in a crispy, flavorful topping.
I’m especially pleased with the extra color and flavor added by the homemade dried tomatoes. They are my favorite homemade condiment this year! I use them in so many ways to add color, flavor and tomato sweetness into dishes. This casserole greatly benefitted from the addition.
This casserole is created from my overflowing fridge on the eve of an out-of-town vacation. We are going to celebrate our granddaughter, Nora’s birthday at Disneyland. We can’t wait!
I never time my shopping right before a vacation. Especially if I plan to have a house sitter. I bought a HUGE pack of bacon, because it looked so good! And a package of link sausage…and a large container of organic leafy greens! Just a few days before our trip.
What was I thinking? Anyhow, all this food overflow called for a special recipe, using a Hodge Podge of delicious, if eclectic ingredients.
Where did that huge loaf of french bread come from? I was hungry on shopping day.
On departure day we would need an EARLY breakfast. Like 3 am! On airplane travel days we rarely get enough food and water. So I wanted to start us off with a full belly of nutritious food.
I threw about a 1/4 pound of bacon into the mix. We love bacon, I cook with it all the time. But putting it in with 12 0z of sausage…might not be very healthy. So I did NOT put the bacon into this recipe.
Feel free if you want to. It’s a lot of extra fat, not the most healthy form of it either. But the flavor is excellent 🙂
This casserole was made several days before our trip and there was so much of it I had plenty to heat up for our 3:00 A.M. Pre Flight breakfast. Our housesitter son still had leftovers while we were gone! This casserole is best served in small sections. You should get 18 servings easily out of a 9 x 13 pan.
UPDATE: We had a FANTASTIC time with our Sandefur family at Disneyland. Treasured Memories for a lifetime for Nora and all the rest of us too. I’v made this casserole several times since that trip and it is very yummy indeed 🙂
If you purchase Items from our affiliate links we may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you for supporting Homemade Food Junkie.
Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe:
- Cook over medium heat in a large frying pan, bacon, onion, pepper strips and garlic. (Cook sausage in the same pan if using bulk).
- Cut the bread into cubes.
- Shred the cheese.
- Cut the sausage, (if using pre-cooked links) into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Chop fresh greens and tomatoes as desired.
- When the sausage is prepared:
- grease a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan and fill with the bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, half n half and mustard.
- Layer the meats and greens over the bread.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Cover with foil and store in fridge overnight
- Next morning bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for about an hour uncovered until the casserole is browned and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes until it cools enough to eat. Serve!
Looking for more overnight breakfast ideas?