A warm Ham and Cheese Croissant Sandwich makes a delicious breakfast, brunch or midday snack. Breakfast sandwiches have risen in popularity due to their convenience and versatility. Vegetarian options have stormed their way onto the scene and won the hearts of many in coffee shops and cafes, but the classics such as bacon and egg, ham and cheese, and sausage with potato hold their place at the top.
Though breakfast sandwiches can be made on an array of different pastries including bagels, English muffins and Texas toast, croissants are one of the most popular breakfast pastries and for sure our favorite.
Are Ham and Cheese Croissants healthy?
Ham and Cheese Croissant Sandwiches are high in fat which is an important factor to consider. This sandwich contains roughly 24 grams of fat, 8 grams being saturated fats. It does deliver roughly 17 grams of protein which helps to balance out the fat and carbohydrates. Protein is an important macro in our diets and you definitely want to include it in your breakfast meal.
What cheese goes well with ham?
Either Swiss or cheddar cheese are the most popular choices to pair with ham due to the flavors elevating ham so well. Cheddar cheese is what we went with, and while we love the flavor combination, it doesn’t melt quite as well as Swiss.
Smoked gouda or a similar cheese would be another great choice for a grown up sandwich that brings a deeper flavor.
What do you put inside a Croissant?
Croissants are wonderfully versatile and very popular pastries. They can be filled with savory or sweet fillings, dipped in creamy hot chocolate, or eaten all by themselves. We are sharing some delicious croissant filling ideas if you are looking for inspiration.
- Fill with a creamy lox and pickled onion spread
- Enjoy with Nutella and fresh whipped cream
- Go classic with a bacon egg and cheese filling
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy with fresh fruit
- Go vegetarian with a baked spinach, mushroom and tomato mozzarella filling
- Make a sausage, potato and avocado breakfast sandwich
- Whip together a melted brie, cranberry, bacon sandwich
- Stuff with cream cheese and fresh berries
- Fill with fresh bananas and a chocolate peanut butter spread
- Stuff with a homemade custard and drizzle with a lemon glaze
How do you make a Ham and Cheese Croissant Sandwich?
- Slice a large croissant in half length wise
- Select a thin slice of leftover ham, or good quality natural ham
- Prepare one slice of cheddar cheese, or other cheese or your choice
- Assemble by laying the ham slice on the bottom layer of the croissant, lay the cheese over the ham slice, place the croissant top
- Heat the croissant sandwich until the cheese melts, be careful not to overheat.
A fresh Ham and Cheese croissant filled with honey ham and cheddar cheese makes a protein rich breakfast in a hurry!
- 1 croissant
- 1 slice honey ham
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- Cut the croissant in half lengthwise
- Place the ham slice on the bottom half of the croissant
- Layer the cheese on the ham
- Put the top croissant section on the cheese
- Place on a serving plate and warm in the microwave 30 seconds to one minute, until the cheese is just melted.
- Serve with fresh fruit
Amount Per Serving Calories 420Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 79mgSodium 751mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 17g