Cheesy hamburger pie. A one dish casserole in a pie plate or skillet with a coconut oil pie crust! Add some smoked paprika, peppers and a little black pepper on top for color and flavor enhancement. Yum Yum Yum!
Dinner can be tough sometimes. I’m tired and flat out of recipe ideas some nights. I know, I know; how can a food blogger ever be out of ideas? Well for instance, I bought a new waffle iron today and all day my mind has been on breakfast. But I couldn’t sell breakfast for dinner. My men requested a meaty hamburger casserole tonight.
That just broke my brain a minute.
The good news is they gave me a focus, something to shoot for. Hamburger, cheese, and… pie! So here it is! And a fine specimen indeed!
Spiced cheddar cheese tops a filling of hamburger, onion, garlic and peppers. Throw a couple beaten eggs at it and stir it all up. bake it until bubbly and brown. Easy, filling, man food!
I went hunting on the internet to find this satisfying meal. There are a ton of versions of this cheesy hamburger pie! I went with Crazy Horse ghost’s recipe, linked below, and added my own twist. I love the name of this blog! And it fit my mood down to the ground! After a long day…yeah. Crazy Horse ghost sounds like where I need to be!
Recipe Notes For Cheesy hamburger Pie:
- I put together my own crust. It just takes a minute to make and it’s got coconut oil! Plus, you can make the crust while the filling browns and the oven preheats! Got spices? Put some in the crust to jazz it up like I did with my Homemade Chicken Pot Pies and Delicious Garden Harvest Pie.
- I won’t say this recipe is done in a minute. Cheesy hamburger pie probably will take a good half hour to prepare. You have to make the crust and filling and put it together.
- Baking time is extra. But I made this on the fly, with a homemade pie crust, after a wretchedly tough day with half my brain tied behind my back. You will have no trouble. Its very easy and tasty! Read the directions first; and then go for it!
Instructions for a 9 inch pie plate:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brown hamburger, onion, garlic and bacon in a skillet on medium until hamburger is thoroughly done.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, make your pie crust but do not bake it. Press it into a deep dish pie plate and finish the edge as desired. Poke several holes in the crust bottom.
- When the hamburger concoction is cooked; drain it well and pour the whole of it into a large bowl. Add in the beaten eggs and thoroughly mix it up.
- Pour the hamburger mixture into your pie plate and press the filling down with a spatula to even the top.
- Sprinkle the cheese over top and sprinkle the paprika and pepper over the cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Or until golden brown and bubbly.
OR MAKE IT THIS WAY FOR A ONE DISH SKILLET DINNER:
I actually drug out my old cast iron skillets a while ago to make one skillet dinners. Because they are easy and NO DISHES! Works for me everytime.
I remade my Tamale Pie recipe and Kaytie’s Chicken Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes into one skillet dinners. I even invented a Chorizo cabbage roll Skillet dinner that is to die for! Love making dinner easy with few dishes.
Cheesy Hamburger Pie is another winner one skillet dinner. It’s easy and you can really do it, homemade crust and all, in one skillet. Go For it!
- Brown the hamburger, onion, garlic and bacon on medium in a 12 inch oven proof skillet until hamburger and bacon are done.
- Remove the cooked filling and drain it on several paper towels on a cutting board.
- Make your pie crust right in the 12 inch ovenproof skillet. (Or use a healthy store bought pie crust)
- grease the skillet with coconut oil.
- Pour the flour, melted coconut oil and water (amounts found in my single pie crust recipe)into the greased oven proof skillet.
- Mix with a fork until it forms a dough and pulls away from the skillet sides and bottoms.
- Press the dough into the skillet.
- Pour the filling back into the skillet, break the eggs straight over the filling and add the spices.
- Mix them all up with a fork (be careful not to mess up your crust).
- Top with grated cheese and chopped pepper
- Bake 45 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
Cheesy hamburger pie defines comfort food. Warm, meaty and full of cheesy gooiness. My men LOVED it!
Recipe source: crazyhorsesghost.hubpages.com