Delicious Garden Harvest Pie is a scrumptious recipe to use up produce from your garden. This could be called a leftover garden pie. Put in whatever is coming in from the garden. This is also a good recipe for cleaning out odds and ends of produce in your fridge. The crust is herbed with Italian seasonings. My family loves this dinner!
My counters are full of peppers, tomatoes, and zucchini from our garden. This goes on for several months every year. Dave keeps bringing in new produce every night. I’ve been freezing tomatoes and zucchini. I’m also Drying tomatoes and baking tons of zucchini recipes, as I do in the Fall Harvest season. I’m sort of spinning in circles lately between the garden, greenhouse, kitchen and my computer.
This Delicious garden harvest Pie recipe is so handy this time of year for gardeners. This recipe offers an enjoyable way to use those perfectly ripe, abundant, lovely fresh harvest veggies in a fun, one dish dinner.
The crust is my coconut oil crust recipe with some Italian herbs in the dough. The herbs added a bonus flavor bump to the crust. You will need a bowl for the pie crust unless you want to mix the dough right in the pie plate.
You could do it that way. I did. Just mix the flour, oil, and water until they form a dough ball that cleans the plate. Then go ahead and roll the dough between saran wrap and lay it into the pie plate and finish the crust edge.
Just mix the flour, oil, and water until they form a dough ball that cleans the plate. Then go ahead and roll the dough between saran wrap, lay the dough crust into the pie plate and finish the crust edge however you like. Fork some holes into the crust and bake it.
It’s not much work and tastes delicious! Now make your filling while the crust cooks. I made this recipe again last night and three adults cleaned out most of the pie. So even though you do get eight slices….
The flavors blend perfectly; crust, vegetables, herbs, and topping. You can choose to use bacon, or a substitute with fewer calories if you like. Ham worked very well in this recipe. The smoky meats are really a good choice for this recipe.
Overall this dinner is not too bad on the calorie count. This pie is all you will need for your family’s dinner. A one pie plate dinner! All the vegetables go into the pie uncooked so no extra skillets to wash. Just a mixing bowl for the crust, a cutting board for the vegetables and a deep dish pie plate to bake them in. Pretty easy summer cooking. Enjoy!
Delicious Garden Harvest Pie Recipe:
This makes a simple one-dish meal for the family. The crust is my coconut oil crust recipe with some Italian herbs in the dough. You will need to cook the bacon or other raw smoky meats before you put it in the pie if you choose to go that route.
464 Calories/ serving
Fat: 33 Grams 45%
Carbs: 28 Grams 8%
Protein: 14 grams 25 %
Here is your printable recipe.
- Pie dough for a single crust with one tablespoon Italian herbs mixed in
- 4-5 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small onion, or several green onion minced
- 2 cloves diced garlic smashed
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 bell or pasilla pepper diced
- 1/2 Cup cubed ham, or as much as you like
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 large basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- Roll herbed pie dough into a deep dish pie.
- Flute pie dough top and bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Remove pie crust from oven and cool while preparing the vegetables.
- Layer 1/2 the basil leaves around the bottom of the pie.
- Layer the sliced tomatoes on top of the basil.
- Sprinkle diced onion, garlic, peppers and crumbed bacon, or ham on top of the tomatoes.
- Layer zucchini in and amongst the other vegetables.
- Fill in holes between the tomatoes with it. Shred the remaining basil leaves and lay over this layer.
- put four tomato slices on the pie top.
- Sprinkle basil, salt, and pepper evenly across top.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise and cheeses. Stir until well combined.
- Spread the mayonnaise-cheese mixture evenly across the top of the pie.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 35 minutes, or until top of pie turns a deep gold color.
- Let pie rest before slicing. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
HERE IS THE RECIPE LINK FOR THE PIE DOUGH. Just add 1 Tablespoon of Italian herbs to the flour and whisk before adding in the oil and water.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 195