These Apple Muffins with Oats and Pumpkin Seeds are made with fresh ginger and flax meal, spices, and organic oats for a delicious combination of flavors and fibers. They make a nutritious breakfast or healthy snack food that you can pack in your kids’ lunches, or feed them after school.
Fresh grown apples are an abundance during the cold season on our property, so the apple recipes are never lacking. We have a huge selection of desserts that feature apples as the main ingredient, and they are always popular when the weather turns.
How to make a healthy Apple Muffin
Muffins can be a good source of nutrients when you use good fresh healthy ingredients. Apples, pumpkin seeds, ginger and flax are all powerfully good for you. Here’s how they make these muffins a healthy breakfast choice.
Choose a healthy oil. We love coconut oil for the flavor as well as its benefits for health. Avocado oil is another great option to use in your muffins. Both coconut and avocado oils bake beautifully.
Try to avoid low quality oils in your diet.
Flax meal is made from ground flaxseeds, which are a rich source of nutrients including fiber, lignans, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Apples are a good source of fiber, and they are rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the body from free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Apples are also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium, and B-complex vitamins.
Pumpkin Seeds are rich in antioxidants, protein, minerals, and healthy fats, and have been shown to have a number of potential health benefits. They contain zinc, magnesium, and copper. These powerhouse seeds also contain phytosterols, which are plant compounds that help lower cholesterol levels.
Oatmeal: Quick oats, also known as quick-cooking or instant oats, are a type of oats that have been rolled and cut into thinner pieces, making them cook faster than regular oats. They are a good source of fiber, protein, and nutrients.
Fresh ginger is amazingly good for you. Read our post about the 10 Natural benefits of Ginger.
What Apples are best for baking?
For the very best result in your baked goods reach for the very best apples. Baking apples need to be fresh, crisp, and slightly sweet. HoneyCrisp, Jonagold, Golden Delicious, and Fuji are all great apples to use for muffins. They have crisp textures that will hold up when baking, rather than reducing to a mushy mess. They also have a slightly tart flavor that balances the added sugars in your baked goods.
How do I get my Muffins moist?
Soft, moist, fluffy muffins are what we all want. There are some basic baking techniques that we suggest you follow for the very best muffins.
- Don’t over mix the batter. In baking you only want to mix until the ingredients are combined and creamy. Over mixing will lead to flat, dense baked goods.
- Don’t overfill the muffin tins. Over filling the tins will result in uneven baking and burned edges. Fill the muffin tins to 2/3 full for an even bake.
- Bake at the proper temperature.
- Use paper liners to prevent the muffins from sticking to the pan. The liners will also protect the muffin bottoms while baking.
- Store muffins in an airtight container once fully cooled. This will keep them from drying out and getting stale.
Is it better to use oil or butter when baking?
Because oil is a liquid, it is recommended to bake with oil rather than butter for higher moisture and a softer bake.
Apple Muffins with Oatmeal Recipe
Putting apples together with fresh ginger greatly enhances the flavor of these muffins. The sparks of fresh ginger are the perfect compliment to the fresh apples. These apple muffins are full of good flavor, fiber and fats. Making them muffins with seeds adds a nice bit of nutty crunch and saltiness.
These Apple Muffins with oats have a high amount of fiber, making them a sustaining snack. They are the perfect addition to your breakfast, an afternoon snack, or delicious lunchbox treat.
Apple pumpkin seed muffins are made entirely from scratch. Full of healthy fibrous fresh apples, pumpkin seeds, ginger and flax meal. These muffins make a nutritious breakfast or healthy grab food anytime of day or night!
- 1 1/4 Cup organic all purpose flour
- 3/4 Cup organic sugar
- 1/2 Cup chopped pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 Cup Flax meal
- 1/4 Cup organic instant oats-I used apple flavored
- 11/2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp, salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger-minced fine
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 Cups peeled, chopped organic apples-skins on
- 1/2 Cup melted coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Whisk the flour, oats, sugar, flax meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a large mixing bowl. Set Aside.
- Core and cut the apples into small pieces.
- Mince the ginger.
- Put the eggs into a medium bowl and slightly beat them.
- Add the apples, pumpkin seeds, ginger, water, coconut oil and mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until well combined.
- Put into mini cupcake liners or well-greased baking tin by teaspoonfuls until half full.
- If using regular sized muffin tins grease or line them with paper or silicone cups and fill half full
- Bake minis sized muffins 10 minutes and the regular sized muffin cups 15 minutes or until done.
- Cool until handleable, about 10 or 15 minutes. The muffins peel out of the wrappers easier when they are a bit cooler.
Amount Per Serving Calories 161Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 21mgSodium 521mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 2g
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Best Spicy Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
- Delicious Dark Chocolate Berry Bars with Toasted Pistachio
- Light and Fluffy Sourdough Discard Doughnuts Recipe
- Exploring Freeze Drying Vs Dehydrating
- How to Freeze Dry Beef: A Simple Guide