This is a Cheesy, Crock pot chicken lasagna recipe made with fresh Italian herbs and an excellent homemade alfredo sauce. Add crock pot simplicity for a winner chicken dinner.
Slow cooking this meal works great for both the crockpot or your multi cooker . Your house will smell wonderful all day long.
My favorite lasagna recipe IN THE WORLD is my mommas 5 Cheese Lasagna. But it literally takes all day. It is worth it. But when you don’t have a day….
This crockpot recipe is a pleasing chicken alfredo version of the classic lasagna with ground beef and red sauce. And you have about 20 minutes max of work to do.
Crock pot chicken lasagna is a delicious family meal. Add the homemade alfredo sauce and fresh herbs to really make this crockpot dinner a favorite.
Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Recipe Notes:
This slow cooker chicken recipe requires a bit of prep but it’s so worth it. Cook your boneless skinless chicken breasts in a skillet (or in your multicooker to save you a dish) while you make the sauce. That will keep the prep time down to about 20 minutes.
Once the prep is done just cover and cook it all day in your favorite slow cooker. Your home will smell delicious
Fresh herbs add a lot of ambience and flavor if you have them. Add them in at the end to protect the fresh herb flavor. Dried Italian seasonings work if that is what you have on hand
Substitutions and variations:
The sauce, spices, herbs and cheese are what makes this recipe so good. Homemade food is all about what you prefer. But here are some suggestions for substitutions is you want to skip a trip to the store.
- shredded Monterey Jack can be used to replace the Mozzarella cheese.
- Cottage cheese can be subbed in for the Ricotta
- Use dried herbs is you can’t find them fresh. (add an extra teaspoon or so if using dried).
Lower carb Chicken Lasagna:
To make this Crockpot Chicken recipe MUCH lower in carbs:
- layer in thinly sliced Zucchini instead of the lasagna noodles. Zucchini tastes really great in lasagna as a noodle substitute.
- But Zucchini is not a noodle and will not absorb any liquid. So you will need to reduce the liquids in half to avoid a loose messy result.
- Our white sauce is not low carb. However, Low Carb Yum Blog has a low carb alfredo sauce recipe if you REALLY want those carbs lowered.
NOTE: If you would rather buy your sauce than make it.
- Buy a 32 ounce jar of Alfredo sauce to make this recipe with pasta.
- FOR LOW CARB: Many brands Like Bertolli have low carb alfredo sauces.
- You will need less sauce for zucchini noodles so a 16 oz. jar will work.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Cheesy, crock pot chicken alfredo lasagna is made with fresh Italian herbs and a wonderful homemade alfredo sauce. Simmered in your crock pot. Winner chicken dinner.
- 4 cups chicken breasts cut into one inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 2 Tablespoons rosemary (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons of garlic
- 1 Cup yellow onion (diced)
HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE INGREDIENTS : (or use 32 oz jar of Store bought Alfredo sauce)
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1/4 Cup white flour
- 3 Cups milk
- 1 Cup chicken broth (from the skillet)
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Cups ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 10 lasagna noodles depending on your crock pot size (Or an equal amount of thinly sliced zucchini FOR LOW CARB)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Instructions for chicken:
- Saute onions and garlic in the oil in a large skillet or in your slow cooker if it has a sauté function. Add the chicken pieces.
- Add the seasonings and turn it to medium low.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Roughly shred the chicken into small pieces with your spatula as it cooks, stirring occasionally.
- About 10 minutes.
Make your white sauce while the chicken is simmering:
- in a separate 2 quart saucepan melt butter on low with garlic and seasonings.
- Stir it until well blended.
- Add the flour and whisk it on medium high until the flour-butter mixture bubbles gently and thickens.
- While whisking it continuously, Add the milk 1 cup at a time and cook until it thickens and then add the Parmesan. It will continue to thicken.
- At this point, keep adding milk until it develops the sauce consistency you want, whisking constantly, OR, use the chicken broth in the bottom of the frying pan, for the last one cup of liquid, to give it a bit more flavor.
LAYERING THE LASAGNA:
- Layer lasagna noodles into the bottom of your crock pot, breaking them to fit approximately.
- Add half of the sauce, chicken (and it's juice to about 1/2 cup), mozzarella and ricotta cheese
- Repeat this layer once more.
- On the top of the last layer of cheese sprinkle the Parmesan to taste
- Set the crock pot on low for 5 to 6 hours.
LOW CARB VERSION:
- Substitute Thinly sliced zucchini for the lasagna noodles.
- Reduce the alfredo sauce amount by up to 1/2 to thicken this recipe. Zucchini will not absorb the sauce and it itself juicy(depending on the zucchini) so watch the liquids.
- Use a store bought low carb alfredo sauce if you prefer an even lower carb count.
Amount Per Serving Calories 559Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 122mgSodium 775mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 40g