My momma’s recipe for 5 Cheese homemade lasagna is the best classic lasagna. Truth! She made this recipe for special occasions when I was a child.
We always got excited when mom started a shopping list with the five cheeses and lasagna noodles. We knew this recipe was coming to dinner. It’s so good she served it in place of turkey for Thanksgiving once and the family was delighted!
This is a delicious, filling meal, oozing with noodles, a rich meaty sauce, and five different kinds of cheese. Mom always served it with a large salad like Tortellini Salad with pepperoni and Homemade French bread or Cheesy Bruschetta Garlic bread. Comfort food defined!
Not too long ago I had a hankering for my Mom’s famous 5 Cheese Lasagna. Nobody makes lasagna like hers. But mom retired from cooking years ago, so I made her a deal. I would make it if she would show me how!
Mom graciously agreed to write out the recipe for this old family treasure. She even came over to help me make it. In the spirit of this social meal, we invited people in for a dinner party to enjoy mom’s 5 cheese homemade lasagna.
We had a very enjoyable evening and excellent food. Chocolate raspberry cookies for dessert added a perfect finishing touch.
This is a dinner party meal and freezer meal recipe. There is way too much lasagna here for a family of four. Unless you love A LOT of leftovers. We do. And this recipe is excellent left over.
I froze a 9 x 9 casserole of this delicious homemade lasagna casserole. We shared one VERY deep 9 x 13 casserole with our friends. And Had leftovers. ALL from this one recipe.
I asked mom where this recipe came from. She told me she got it from a neighbor when I was a tiny tot. Thank you, neighbor, wherever you are!
The 5 Cheeses:
The combination of these five kinds of cheese is amazing in Lasagna. Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Freshly grated Parmesan (do NOT use store bought canned Parmesan or I will find you and slap your hand!) Ricotta and Provolone. Find good quality cheeses and enjoy the amazing flavor they will bring to this dish.
The Homemade Lasagna Sauce:
My momma’s homemade marinara sauce is a long-simmering masterpiece. Start the sauce several hours ahead and let it simmer down to concentrate the flavors. This sauce scents the house as it simmers, building anticipation for the lovely Italian meal at the end of the day. This delicious sauce is also great in spaghetti, manicotti, or wherever you need a good Italian marinara sauce.
Mom ALWAYS uses bulk Italian spicy sausage and hamburger together in her sauce. Another divine combination that takes the flavor into a whole new universe! Don’t like spicy? Use mild sausage, but use it! The hamburger by itself is not enough.
Mom’s 5 cheese lasagna recipe makes enough sauce to assemble two 9 x 13 pans of lasagna. If you don’t want to eat that much cut the recipe in half or freeze the extra lasagna casserole for a future dinner.
This recipe freezes really well. That makes the work worthwhile. This frozen dinner is VERY well received as a meal for friends or neighbors in need.
Nina’s homemade lasagna will leave you with a memory of love, given and received.
This is certainly a labor of love for the cook; but not too onerous. The worst part, back in the day, was shredding all that cheese by hand. I recently made this lasagna for my oldest son’s birthday.
I shredded the cheese in a jiffy in my brand new 14 cup Cuisinart Food Processor (affiliate link). This is a really good, economical food processor if you need a big one.
In mom’s own words” This is a basic, simple recipe that leaves a lot of room, for you to add whatever spices you choose; to make it more to your taste.”
With all the cheese and meaty flavors in this dish, she just used simple Italian seasonings and it is heavenly!
This lasagna has body and flavor and LOTs of cheese. When you drive your fork into this lasagna the strings of meaty, saucy cheesy noodles will slap your face and excite your taste buds.
TIP: Mom also used to boil her noodles before baking. She discovered that made her lasagna rather soupy. She just adds uncooked noodles to her layers now and it works perfectly!
5 Cheese Homemade Lasagna Recipe:
The Easy method and some Time Saver Tips:
In the interest of modern cooking I’m offering a few recipe hacks and time savers that will still help you retain the incredible flavor this recipe offers.
- Use your favorite bottled organic marinara sauce instead of Mom’s all day simmering sauce. BUT do use the sausage/hamburger combo for the meat to keep the incredible flavor. Brown the meats with some onions, garlic and Italian spices.
- NOW pour the bottled sauce (you’ll need several jars) into a large stock pot and simmer it all together while you grate the cheeses in your handy food processor.
- Assemble the recipe as directed and bake. Several hours saved and you have a beautiful baked lasagna:)
Instructions for the LONG Version of 5 Cheese lasagna with meat:
- Make the sauce and get it simmering on the stove. It will simmer for several hours so enjoy your home smelling fantastic all day.
- About 30 minutes before you want to bake it, shred the jack, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese.
- Assemble the lasagna in your two casseroles- Instructions for how to layer lasagna are in the recipe card.
- Bake about 45 minutes
Your Printable Recipe Card:
5 Cheese Lasagna is a delicious, filling meal, oozing with noodles, a rich meaty sauce, and five different kinds of cheese. Make extra for the freezer!
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. spicy Italian Sausage, I'm using spicy chicken sausage today
- 2 onions chopped course
- 6 cloves garlic-minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 -30 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 4 -6 oz. cans tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasonings to taste
- 1 lb. skim mozzarella-shredded
- 1 lb. Monterey jack cheese-shredded
- 1 pint ricotta cheese
- 1 lb. provolone
- 1 Cup Parmesan-grated
- 16 oz. package lasagna noodles
For the sauce:
- Sauté meats, onions and garlic until cooked.(drain excess fat)
- Add canned tomato sauce and paste into a large pot with the sauté ingredients.
- Add water to adjust the consistency to your preference.
- Simmer for 2 to 4 hours tasting occasionally and adjusting seasoning to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Assembling the layers:
- In a 9 x 13 pan spread sauce on the bottom in a thin layer
- Lay noodles on the sauce
- Spread another layer of sauce over the noodles.
- Spread the cheese evenly over the sauce as follows:
- Provolone torn into pieces to fit the pan,
- Shredded mozzarella and jack cheese,
- Ricotta dropped by spoonful's onto the previous cheeses.
- Sprinkle parmesan over the top
- Repeat sauce layer, then noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Top with parmesan and bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and browned on top
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 90mg Sodium: 1176mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 10g Protein: 33g