Pour Homemade Blueberry Sauce on pancakes, waffles or ice cream. Make a yogurt parfait or blueberry cheesecake. Even if you eat this delectable berry sauce with a spoon straight out of the pot it’s really, really YUM! Look at how healthy this sauce is! Low-Fat, Low-Sodium, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free and it has all the health benefits of blueberries and maple syrup!
Sauces in general are so useful and much better for you when made without the chemicals and processing of the store-bought sauces or pie fillings. Go ahead and experiment. Homemade means custom-made! Whatever recipe your using; a homemade sauce will make it better. Custom make the sauce to compliment your recipe for a sure win win! Like it bumpy, need it smooth? Less sweet or different sweeteners? Have at it.
This blueberry sauce deliciously surprised me with its full bodied blueberry flavor. I used organic frozen berries we had picked fresh about a month ago. Even frozen, those berries delivered fresh, delicious blueberry flavor to the Healthy Blueberry Waffles we topped with it. Frozen unsweetened, organic blueberries are just as healthful as fresh, so don’t be afraid to use them! I discuss the amazing health benefits of blueberries in this Blueberry Banana smoothie recipe.
Note: This sauce with the cornstarch thickener, won’t freeze well. For best results use fresh or frozen berries to make up a quick batch when you need it.Using frozen berries may require you to adjust the added water down a bit or up the cornstarch a TINY bit.
Homemade Blueberry Sauce Recipe Notes:
I’m using pure, organic Maple Syrup for a sweetener. You can use honey or agave nectar, but I’m not sure of the proportions. Play around with it. This is a forgiving recipe. You can use processed sugar one to one with the maple syrup, but I hope you won’t. Maple syrup is better for you!
Maple syrup contains antioxidants and minerals and is lower on the glycemic scale than processed sugar. However, As Authority Nutrition points out, it’s still full of sugar and needs to be treated as such. So let the blueberries do the lions share of sweetening. Use fully ripe, naturally sweet berries and keep the added sweeteners to a minimum!
Homemade Blueberry Sauce with Maple Syrup Recipe:
Blueberry Sauce Method:
- Put the blueberries and maple syrup in a 2 quart sauce pan on medium heat.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and water.
- Pour the cornstarch water into the blueberries and stir until it’s mixed.
- Cook the berries until they boil. Stir it on a low boil for about a minute until the cornstarch turns clear and the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat. Use immediately, or cool it to whatever temperature you require. Serve!
Keeps well in the fridge covered for up to a week. If the sauce solidifies, warm it in the microwave with a bit of water stirred in until you get consistency you prefer. Remember: For best results, Do NOT freeze this sauce!
Here is your Printable. BUT I remade this sauce with the maple syrup. This recipe printable is insisting on telling you to use sugar. Just substitute the maple syrup one to one. Technology is sometimes a pain!
Pour Homemade Blueberry Sauce over cheesecake, pancakes, waffles, yogurt or ice cream. Make a yogurt parfait or blueberry cheesecake. Even if you eat this delectable berry sauce with a spoon straight out of the pot it's really, really YUM! Look at how healthy this sauce is! Low-Fat, Low-Sodium, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free and it has all the health benefits of blueberries and maple syrup!
- 4 c. blueberries
- 1/2 c. Pure Maple Syrup, Organic if possible
- 1/4 Cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Combine blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until combined.
- Put the cornstarch into a small cup with water and whisk until smooth.
- Add the cornstarch mixture into the blueberries and turn up the heat, stirring constantly.
- When the sauce boils, reduce heat to medium high and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Once the sauce is thickened, you may choose to leave it whole berry, or purée it in a blender to desired smoothness.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 197
Delicious Blueberry sauce made from scratch. So many uses!