Low-Sodium, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies. Choc full of delicious organic dark chocolate chips, flax meal, maple syrup and coconut oil; these cookies have healthy fats for high energy carbs that count positively in the health column. High energy, fibrously good for you snacks, for the lunch box, backpack and cookie jar.
My whole life I have loved cookies. Delighted in them, in fact. When I bake cookies I always make a double batch. Cookies for dinner? Works for me!
Cookies should be good for us. Over the years I have played with cookie recipes endlessly trying to figure out how to make them healthy food. And really, really GOOD!
Today I got to playing in the ingredients again. Lately my new cooking experiment is maple syrup. It does indeed take the place of white sugar quite handily in these Dark chocolate Chip Cookies and offers a much lower glycemic index. I added flax for fiber and coconut oil goes into all my baking these days for loads of healthy fat.
Now THAT’s dinner… In fact, it is! I’m making the guys eat leftovers tonight. Instead of dragging food out of the fridge and warming it up; we all keep circling the cookie plate. Its getting smaller and smaller….
Recipe Notes for Deliciously Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Maple syrup requires a few adjustments in this recipe. You’ll notice the oven temperature is lower than usual. Maple syrup caramelizes at low temperatures so it requires a cooler oven. To adjust this Dark Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe PH correctly, a little more baking soda is needed in the recipe. Also, maple syrup is a liquid. We need to add a little more flour to compensate for that extra liquid or the cookies will be flat splats all over the cookie sheet. This recipe turned out just right.
Choc full of delicious organic dark chocolate chips, flax meal, maple syrup and coconut oil; these cookies have healthy fats for high energy carbs that count positively in the health column.
- 3 Cups flour
- 1/2 Cup flax meal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 Cup maple syrup
- 3/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 Cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 Cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Mix together flour, flax meal, salt, and soda in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, Add maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar and beat together until creamy
- Gradually add the flour mixture, a little at a time, until it's thoroughly mixed. The dough will be slightly gummy with a sheen.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an un-greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9 minutes and then check to see if they are browning.
- When slightly browned remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes on the cookie sheets. Remove to cooling racks and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 128Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 8mgSodium 77mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 2g