Cheesy cauliflower potato soup is an easy, gluten free one pot dinner made in your Instant Pot. Enjoy the rich flavor of creamy potato, cheese and bacon with cauliflower to add nutritious fiber and reduce calories!
Our garden potato towers and potato barrels gave us a good load of spuds to use up this winter. We grew mostly white and red potato and a few purple potatoes too.
Our cauliflower crop was pretty minor this year so I bought a medium head to add to this dinner. Potatoes and cauliflower are great together with the cheese and bacon. Yum! and easy 🙂
Looking for a crock pot version of potato soup? Try our loaded Baked Potato Crock Pot Soup.
Looking for more Instant pot recipes? Try Instant Pot Six Gun Chili and Instant Pot Meaty Italian Pasta Dinner. Our entire Instant Pot Recipe selection is found here.
After I cracked my third slow cooker in less than two years it became clear I needed a different kitchen tool for slow cooking. The Instant Pot is it! It has a Stainless steel cooking pot and seven different function keys. I do so much with this pot.
And look what a great cauliflower soup recipe it made in very little time.
The hardest part of this recipe is to peel the potatoes. If you don’t mind the skins and have organic potatoes peeling them is absolutely optional.
Cauliflower is a fantastic vegetable. It’s very healthy for you. AND it’s very popular as a potato substitute in recipes to lower carbs. This recipe is not low carb because it has potatoes. You can choose a lower starch variety of potato to help with that.
Cauliflower is replacing a good amount the potatoes in this potato and cauliflower soup. So it is LOWER carb than potato soup. cauliflower cheese soup with potatoes. The cauliflower adds loads of excellent nutrients and fiber to this soup. And it tastes good too.
Use a bacon substitute if you need to reduce your sodium. Bacon is very high in sodium. That will bring the sodium level in this soup way down.
Instant Pot Cheesy Cauliflower Potato Soup Recipe:
NOTES AND TIPS:
This is not a really thick potato soup with a bit of cauliflower. It’s more of a cheesy cauliflower soup with potatoes. Cauliflower potato cheese soup. That’s how to think of it. But you can certainly put the potatoes first if you prefer.
Our cooking audience has given some really useful ideas in the Homemade Food Junkie comment section at the bottom of this page. I hope you go read the comments. There are some great ideas on how to change up this recipe.
Almost everyone that makes it loves this soup. However, Some of our readers have made this instant pot cheesy cauliflower soup expecting a more robust consistency.
If you prefer a thicker soup you may:
- Add more potatoes if you have room in your pot.
- Use a drier variety of potato like russets. We prefer the whites and red boilere which are lower in starch and make a thinner soup.
- You may also thicken this soup with a homemade roux after you open the pot. After stirring it if you want a thicker consistency:
- Set the pot to SAUTÈ function.
- In a small bowl add 2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch to 1/2 cup of cold water. Whisk it and then stir it into your soup.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Stir it until you like the soup consistency and then serve.
You may serve this soup either very chunky as you see here or glass smooth as you prefer.
- Simply use a hand held potato masher to achieve the rougher textured soup I created. We like the mouth feel of a textured soup. I think the bacon bits work best with a bit of texture in the vegetables.
- For a smooth texture use an immersion blender to blend the texture if you wish.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
This is an easy, gluten free one pot dinner made in your Instant Pot. Enjoy the rich flavor of creamy potato, cheese and bacon with cauliflower to add nutritious fiber and reduce calories!
- 1 pound potatoes-any yellow or white potato of medium size- cored and peeled and cut into large 2 inch chunks (choose lower starch varieties to lower carbs)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower- cut away green leaves and chop head into several large chunks
- 1/2 lb bacon-chopped (OR choose a low sodium bacon substitute)
- 4 cloves garlic-chopped fine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Set Instant pot to SAUTE. Press the + adjust button.
- Prep and add in bacon and garlic. Cook about four minutes or until bacon is cooked to slightly browned. Be sure to add enough extra bacon to reserve some for garnish if desired.
- Once cooked. Drain off the grease and set aside the amount of bacon you need for the garnish.
- Add in the peeled potatoes, chopped cauliflower and chicken stock. Place lid on and push vent to seal.
- Press MANUAL button and Cook for 10 minutes on high pressure. Turn pot off.
- Natural release for 10 minutes. Then quick release until pressure is totally released.
- Remove the instant pot lid. Add in the milk and 1 1/4 Cup of the cheese. Mash the potatoes and cauliflower with a potato masher or immersion blender until you like the consistency. Add more broth as desired.
- Serve with remaining cheese shreds and bacon crumbles on top as desired.
PLEASE NOTE: This soup is not intended to be a thick soup. If you want it thick add more potatoes or add your favorite thickener after you quick release and open the pot. Use the sautè function if you need to boil the soup with a cornstarch or flour based roux.
Amount Per Serving Calories 350Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 55mgSodium 1116mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 21g
This recipe is featured in 15 Instant Pot Recipes You Can make In Your RV
Adapted from the Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Laurel Randolph