Vanilla cupcakes are universally popular at parties. Cupcakes bring a party table to life when appropriately decorated and coordinated to your party theme.
We themed these cupcakes for a baby shower. These super moist homemade vanilla cupcake recipe holds well and remains moist. If you love yummy baking recipes this is a perfect party dessert choice.
Cupcakes make a party table complete, in my opinion. Cupcakes are cute and easy to clean up.
My daughters first birthday I made her a princess Cupcake dress. She had her smash cupcake and we all had a delicious cupcake from her princess dress. It was adorable and not much clean up fuss. I like that.
How to Make Vanilla Cupcakes:
Watch this video to see how I make vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting for any occasion.
Baby Shower Theme:
Recently I stepped up to host my dear friend’s baby boy shower. I knew vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting would be my foodie contribution to the party. Party cupcakes are really fun to make and decorate for a theme like this one.
Check out my YouTube video to get a better look at all the ways we pulled together this baby shower. We went all out. Even a brunch bar. The party turned out great.
My friends and event planners extraordinaire, Julie and Alise created this shower with me. They chose the baby Explorer theme. This is the baby shower cupcake idea they came up with.
Baby Shower Cupcakes Ideas:
Our baby shower creation team spent a craft night together with my silhouette machine. It’s such a handy crafting tool. We made OODLES of decorations for the party. Including the toppers you see here for the cupcakes.
Vanilla cupcakes themed for an explorer baby shower. A close up of the cupcake wrappers we bought and the toppers we made.
Looking for more Cupcakes Inspiration? Check out Homemade Food Junkie Cupcake Corner. You’re sure to find a perfect cupcake for you or your event.
Homemade Vanilla Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting:
Kudos to Danielle over at Live well Bake Often for this cupcake recipe. I ‘ve made many vanilla cupcakes over the years. Danielle’s is the best vanilla cupcake recipe for a party. These vanilla cupcakes with sour cream stay moist when made ahead.
I’ve linked her vanilla cupcake recipe at the bottom of this post for you. I did use my own buttercream frosting recipe though. Just to be clear. 🙂
Make these super moist vanilla cupcakes a day ahead if you like. Stored correctly in an airtight container (I use this cupcake carrier) will remain moist and delicious. On party day make the homemade buttercream frosting and decorate.
I use my kitchenAid Stand mixer with the paddle attachment to make this cupcake recipe. You can also make these with a hand electric mixer.
- Use real vanilla extract rather than imitation flavoring for best results. I know. Vanilla is REALLY expensive. But if you want the best flavor you need it in this recipe
- . Room temperature ingredients blend together best. Set out ALL of your eggs, unsalted butter and other dairy ingredients an hour or so before you make any cakes or cupcakes.
- Do not over-mix the cupcake batter. Cupcake batter is very delicate and needs to be mixed on low speed just until the ingredients are combined.
- Fill your cupcake liners evenly and only half to 2/3 Full. These cupcakes have a lot of rise.
- Do not open the oven door early to check on the cupcakes. This will cause your cupcakes to fall and not rise properly. Trust the bake time.
- The key to a great cupcake is air and lightness in the batter.
- Cover them as soon as they are cooled to the touch. Don’t leave them out for any length of time if you are planning on eating them the following day.
- Frost the day you plan to eat them for best results. This will leave you with soft and fresh buttercream
This Recipe makes 12 cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes. It easily doubles for a large crowd event.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Vanilla cupcakes are universally popular at parties. Cupcakes bring a party table to life when appropriately decorated and coordinated to your party theme. This cupcake recipe holds well and remains moist. Perfect party choice!
- 1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter,-softened
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup full fat sour cream
- 1 Cup unsalted butter- softened
- 4 Cups confectioners sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 tbsp milk
To make the vanilla cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar until thoroughly creamed together, add in eggs one at a time. Add in the vanilla and sour cream. (do not over-mix the batter)
- Start adding in the dry ingredients slowly, beating between additions (I like to add them in thirds)
- Use an ice cream scoop or a small spoon to fill a cupcake lined tin. These liners will need to be filled a little over halfway. If you fill them all the way to the top, your cupcakes will rise way over.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, watch for them to start turning a light golden brown, use a toothpick to check for doneness.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting and decorating.
- Beat butter (softened to room temperature) until it is pale in color (at least 3-5 minutes)
- Add in powdered sugar in additions, until mixed completely with butter
- Next, add the vanilla extract and the milk (the milk you will need to add accordingly, start with 4 tbsp and if its still too thick, add another tbsp)
Store prepared cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to five days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Prepworks by Progressive Collapsible Cupcake and Cake Carrier, 24 Cupcakes, 2 Layer, Easy to Transport Muffins, Cookies or Dessert to Parties - Blue - In Amazon Frustration Free
- 36 Vintage World Map Scalloped Cupcake Wrappers. NOT a baking cup.
- Silhouette Cameo Vinyl Starter Kit Bundle with PixScan Cutting Mat, White
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 481 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 102mg Sodium: 168mg Carbohydrates: 57g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 46g Protein: 3g
Original vanilla cupcake Recipe Found at: live well bake often