Chili chicken is a Mexican dinner recipe. A family pleasing main course chicken casserole full of flavor. This is perfect potluck recipe for a gathering of up to 12 guests or for a warm cozy meal at home.
Chili Chicken casserole makes a fast easy casserole that feeds a good sized group and is very well received. Warm rich and full of South of the border flavor. And it makes great leftovers too.
My friend, Judy, gave me this recipe long long ago. Chili Chicken is one of our favorite chicken casserole recipes for dinner from Judy’s kitchen.
Watch me make this Excellent Mexican Chicken Recipe:
Making Chili Chicken Casserole:
Make this an easy dinner recipe for a quick weeknight meal. OR with some extra work this recipe is suitable for a discerning group of guests.
Make it a good dinner recipe for guests and parties:
With a few tweaks this easy chicken recipe for dinner levels up to a layered Mexican Chicken Enchilada casserole with authentic flavors and texture your guests are sure to love.
Use my homemade salsa and Homemade Flour tortilla Recipe instead of store bought for the very best flavor in this Mexican chicken casserole. Both of these recipes add rich flavor and texture to this chicken dinner.
Store bought salsa and tortillas will work if that’s what you have. But there really is no store bought option that compares with homemade tortillas. They make quite a difference.
Need this recipe lower in carbs?
The texture of low carb tortillas may be a little tough but they will certainly help you keep the carb load down in this dinner.
If you don’t have homemade salsa just find a favorite brand at the store. We like a pace salsa or spicier for this chili casserole. I used black bean corn salsa this time and it was really good.
Go ahead and experiment. That’s the beauty of homemade casseroles. They are meant to be played with. Using pepper jack cheese is also a nice way to add color and spice to this cheesy chicken Mexican dinner idea.
For the Quick and EASY Chicken Casserole Version:
Here are my tips for time reducers:
- If you buy your tortillas and salsa it’s about 15 or twenty minutes prep with cooking the chicken.
- Are you in a REAL hurry? Try it with leftover pulled rotisserie chicken.
- Or even canned (choose cans of low sodium canned chicken).
- Using store bought salsa and tortillas and canned chicken or rotisserie chicken takes the prep down to 5 to 10 minutes tops.
After this Chili Chicken casserole came out of the oven with a fall garden salad and baked acorn squash on the side the family dove in and loved every bit.
That crusty cheesy top is so good. And under it is a lovely mess of chicken cheese, salsa and tortillas. Perfect!
This recipe is the epitome of warm delicious comfort food. Lots of hearty flavor and lots of carby goodness in this meal.
Chili Chicken is cheesy and about as spicy as you want it to be.
This casserole lends itself well to add ins you know you’ll like. Are you a pepper fan? Chop some up, of any heat you prefer, and cook them slightly with the chicken.
Try various brands of chili beans. I like S & W chili beans. I just prefer the sauce they use. What’s your favorite?
Baked and ready to eat. This casserole is pure comfort food. Warm rich and creamy with lots of flavor. You control the spice with your choice of salsa, cheeses and other add ins (like hot peppers).
Chicken Casserole Recipes like this one are perfect for freezing. Half this dish gives you two 8 x 8 baking dishes. Bake one for the family and freeze the second one. OR double this recipe and freeze the extra 9 x 13 dish.
Now you have a dish to pull out for busy nights, feeding a friend in need, or last minute company. Good meal planning recipe.
Make it Freezer food! Here’s how:
- Freeze this recipe uncooked for the freezer.
- Layer your second casserole in a disposable baking dish.
- Before baking cover tightly with foil or plastic wrap.
- Label the dish with date and recipe name AND baking directions.
To defrost and serve:
- Defrost in the fridge a day ahead (Or quick defrost in your microwave if in a microwaveable dish)
- Bake as recipe label directs.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Chili chicken is a southwest style chicken casserole full of flavor! A family pleasing main course for a warm cozy meal at home.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut up and cooked (or 1 large can of low sodium chicken)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, - softened
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 2 Cups salsa, or use our homemade salsa
- 1 15 oz. can chili beans
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 8 inch tortillas cut to fit your pan as needed, we used our homemade Flour tortillas
- 1/2 lb. pepper jack cheese, -shredded
- 1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, -shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 9 x 13 baking dish
- Saute chicken and onions until chicken is cooked and onions are tender and translucent.
- Combine cooked chicken and onions, softened cream cheese, chicken broth, salsa, and chili beans in a large bowl.
- Layer 3 to three tortillas into the bottom of the greased dish.(pice them together to fit the pan.)
- Spoon one third of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- add another layer of tortillas over the chicken mixture.
- Layer another third of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- Add one last layer of tortillas and spoon the rest of the sauce over them.
- Sprinkle cheeses over the top saucy chicken layer.
- Bake uncovered 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Amount Per Serving Calories 484Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 98mgSodium 1090mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 28g
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!