Crock Pot Beef and Rice Stew uses fresh produce with a few few extras, a pound of stew meat and a bit of rice. Viola an easy dinner for a busy day. And SO healthy! Low-Fat, Low-Sugar, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
This is the cozy warm soups and stew time. Days are shorter and cooler, inviting heartier meals. I have TONS of gorgeous fresh produce filling up my fridge as Dave continues to bring new garden goodies in every day. Carrots, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, kohlrabi and Parsnips, to name a few. Meaty Beef stew is a perfect partner for our garden produce.
Our garden is very good to us this time of year. It just makes sense to make these into easy crockpot dinners, green juice, and salads like our fall garden salad. We eat so cheaply this time of year, and so healthy!
Today all these garden vegetables are going into this savory crockpot beef and rice stew . YUM! Slow cooking has been my favorite way to make dinner for the last fifteen years.
Crock pot beef stews are so easy. In fact, stews are way easier, and safer, to make in a crock pot than in the huge, old soup pots I always had bubbling away all day on my stove, when the kids were little.
Big pots on the stove need tending every once in a while or the stew burns on the bottom. Crock pots are designed to be left alone all day, without burning dinner. I really love that!
It’s so easy in my Instant Pot Too!
My instant pot has completely replaced my slow cooker now a days. For this recipe you can cook it just like in the crock pot and use your slow cooker function OR you can cook this dinner under pressure and reduce the cook time considerably.
One lovely thing about the instant pot(there are many BTW) is the warming function. If you are not ready to eat when your meal is done the instant pot will automatically turn itself on warm and keep it safely warmed until you feel like serving dinner.
I don’t miss my crockpot at all anymore 🙂
If you purchase items from our affiliate links we may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you for supporting homemade Food Junkie.
Here’s How To Put Crock Pot Beef and Rice Stew Together:
- I choose to brown my meat to keep in that excellent beef flavor in the meat itself. Also, I season the meat as it’s browning to add a bit of extra zing to the stew. Actually, I made this stew with Kayti, at her house. So she browned the meat with her spices. Feel free to use your favorites if you don’t have what we are using.
- Chop those veggies! I put a list into the printable about all the veggies we are using. But the possibilities are endless. By Google’s definition a stew is “a dish of meat and vegetables cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan.” How vague is that? Slow cooker…veg and meat! Well this IS a beef stew. So beef is non-negotiable. However….
- You might choose beef… and rutabagas or turnips (which my mom always used), or any vegetables you find handy. Let me know your favorite stew veggies in the comments below!
- Put it all in the crock pot: Place the browned beef in the crock pot and layer the veggies(chopped small) over the top. Pour the liquids in last. Let it cook on high for three hours.
- In the last hour, add a cup of rice and cook till the rice is tender. Serve it up! NOTE: The rice has to actually cook so you need to boil it five minutes either in your crock pot or on the stove. Especially true of the brown and wild rice varieties.
The rice really builds this stew into a complete meal in a cup or bowl.
This filling stew doesn’t need a lot with it. This is an easy meal for dinner. It’s perfect for intense work days. This stew thickens up and makes really good leftovers. Lunch for the next day just needs a zap in the microwave.!
An easy delicious dinner. It’s a meal in one pot! If you feel like working a little for an excellent homemade dinner roll, try this one! Otherwise pick up your favorite artisan bread to soak up those lovely juices.
Carb 41 g
Protein 32 g
Crock Pot Beef and Rice Stew is a hearty easy dinner for a busy day. Brimming with vegetables, beef and rice this Low-Fat, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free dinner is a family pleasing meal. If you have your crock pot on low it won't properly cook the rice. So cook the rice separately to a boil for five minutes and then add it to your crock pot.
Serving Size: 2 Cups
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 346
Crock Pot Beef and Rice Stew is a hearty easy dinner for a busy day. Brimming with vegetables, beef and rice this Low-Fat, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free dinner is a family pleasing meal.
If you have your crock pot on low it won't properly cook the rice. So cook the rice separately to a boil for five minutes and then add it to your crock pot.