We had a large crowd for dinner and they all loved this salad. It started out in a huge silver bowl (I doubled the recipe). It was retired to the fridge with only one serving left. Spinach Avocado Bacon Salad delights the taste buds, it’s full of healthy nutrients and terrifically easy to make!
Is your garden full of lovely fresh spinach? This is the salad to use it up. Our garden is Late late late! This spring is so cold even our kale is shivering out there. Peas are barely up and spinach? Forget it. And it’s MAY!
What you’re seeing is Organic Girl baby spinach. It’s easy and convenient to build this salad with pre-washed baby spinach.
This is a filling salad. Made correctly it can be a meal replacer and very healthy addition to your diet. Please use natural uncured bacon and organic veggies. No need to add unnecessary chemicals into your diet.
The nutritional upside:
Spinach is rich in antioxidants beta carotene, vitamins a and c, and an excellent source of folate and vitamin k. Baby spinach is even MORE intensely nutritious than mature leaves.
Avocado gives you heart healthy fats and other nutritional benefits.
Bacon actually has some health benefits too. Just keep it natural and uncured.
Feta cheese is naturally low fat, low carb and delicious! So easy to crumble it up and sprinkle it over your finished salad.
Spinach Avocado Bacon Salad!
In my opinion, salad is made for fooling around. So go into your fridge and pantry and fool around a little with add ins for this crazy good side dish. But make the salad dressing as directed! Do not cop out and use bottled. The salad dressing in this recipe is so easy and you will love it.
Maybe you will love it so much you will make a huge batch and keep it handy in your fridge for other green salads. This would be an awesome dressing for our Spring Garden Berry Salad , or any spinach or kale salad. Just saying.
The salad base is just a few ingredients.
Spinach, avocado and bacon. I consider the feta a necessary base ingredient too. (although other cheeses would work,) Feta has a distinct piquant flavor profile. You should go in that direction if you want to stay true to this recipe.
Enhance this basic recipe with your choice of healthy extras. This salad is versatile. Make it your own.
The salad dressing is “To Die For”…not kidding. That’s good dressing!
Salad Dressing Instructions:
- Whisk the salad dressing ingredients and set aside until needed. You can store it in an airtight covered bowl in your fridge and let it sit all day or overnight if it’s easier. All the flavors will intensify that way. Before serving let it sit out and warm up to room temperature so it pours well. Do NOT dress the salad ahead of serving. The salad will retain its texture best if dressed at serving. I serve the salad undressed and let everyone pour on their own dressing as they wish.
Likely additions include:
- nuts (try pine nuts, walnuts, pecans…)
- organic dried cranberries
- pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- Berries of any kind are excellent in this salad too.
We eat a lot of salad. All of these extras have found their way into our salads over time. Each of them adds a bit of nutrition and zing to a good basic green salad recipe like this one.
Spinach Avocado Bacon Salad Preparations:
Time saver tip: Fry the bacon ahead, drain it and store in the fridge. Assembling this salad just got fast.
Directions for the bacon:
- Slice bacon into 1/2 inch pieces
- Fry on medium heat until crispy
- Drain off the fat and dry the bacon on a paper towel. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
At Serving Time:
- Rough chop the spinach(for large leaves) and place in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped avocados and bacon
- Toss the salad with the dressing just before serving.
- Sprinkle with the crumbled feta cheese
- Add your extras as you prefer. Enjoy!
I have made this salad several times now. I am reposting it for you. You won’t want to miss this yummy healthy side dish!