Cheesy, Crock pot chicken lasagna made with fresh Italian herbs. Directions for an Excellent made from scratch alfredo sauce, and crock pot simplicity. Enjoy this delicious comforting meal with your family. Your house will smell warm and wonderful all day long!
Crock pot chicken lasagna is a good family meal. A crockpot full of noodles, cheese, and a flavorful Alfredo sauce with Italian spices. This is a pleasing chicken version of an old Italian Classic.
Make this recipe with fresh herbs if you have them. Add them in at the end to protect the fresh herb flavor. There is a LOT of cheese in this recipe. We love it that way but you could adjust it to suit your diet if you like.
This is a tasty, satisfying dinner full of comforting fats. Enjoy!
NOTE: I had a reader comment that this is not a low carb meal. My nutrition recipe app said it is but has since dropped it’s food labels…hmmm. In researching low carb diets I have learned this recipe does NOT qualify as low a carb recipe. Thank you for the heads up Kate. Our readers keep making our recipes better. We appreciate you all. I have updated the recipe to include low carb suggestions.
SUGGESTION:To make this recipe MUCH lower in carbs layer in thinly sliced Zucchini, instead of the lasagna noodles (but you will need to reduce the liquids(the sauce) to use the zucchini). I think the zucchini tastes really great in lasagna but it is not a noodle and will not absorb any liquid. Also, Low Carb Yum Blog has a low carb alfredo sauce recipe.
Crock Pot Chicken Lasagna Recipe:
CHICKEN PREP WALKTHROUGH:
- Saute onions and garlic in the coconut oil in a large skillet on medium and add the chicken.
- Add the seasonings and turn it to medium low.
- Cook with a lid until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, stirring occasionally. About 10 minutes. Set aside until needed
- Reserve the liquid in the skillet to add to your sauce
NOTE: If you would rather buy your sauce; buy a 32 ounce jar of Alfredo sauce. Many brands Like Bertolli have low carb alfredo sauces.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce:
- 1/2 C butter
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 3 cups milk (and reserved chicken broth from your skillet)
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves or garlic powder (to taste)
SAUCE NOTES: Add one cup chicken broth from the skillet as the sauce thickens to desired consistency. Add Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic cloves diced and crushed or garlic powder to taste. Stir until all the add-ins are mixed into the sauce thoroughly.
Walkthrough Instructions for white sauce:
- in a 2 quart sauce-pan, melt butter on low with garlic and seasonings.
- Stir it until well blended.
- Add the flour and whisk it on medium high until the flour-butter mixture bubbles gently and thickens.
- While whisking it continuously, Add the milk 1 cup at a time and cook until it thickens and then add the Parmesan. It will continue to thicken.
- At this point, keep adding milk until it develops the sauce consistency you want, whisking constantly
- Set sauce aside. If you have time here, shred your cheese if necessary.
Use the chicken broth in the bottom of the frying pan, for the last one cup of liquid, to give it richer flavor.
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cottage or ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- the white sauce you made, or 32 ounces of store bought Alfredo sauce if you prefer
- about 7 to 10 lasagna noodles depending on your crock pot size
DIRECTIONS FOR LAYERING: In your GREASED crock pot:
- repeat this layer once more.
- On the top of the last layer of cheese sprinkle the Parmesan to taste
- Set the crock pot on low for 5 to 6 hours. Enjoy!
This recipe is adapted from Bakerette