Detox Lentil Soup is high- fiber, vegan, vegetarian, dairy- free and gluten- free. This lentil soup recipe is loaded with good for you ingredients.We give you both stove top cooking instructions and instant pot lentil soup version. Both methods work great.
The instant pot allows you to add presoaked raw lentils at coking time rather than cooking them ahead or using leftover cooked lentils from the fridge.
This luscious, healthy soup will flush out toxins while refreshing and nourishing your body.
We should all eat detoxifying foods more often. The American diet is, unfortunately one of the worst in the world.
We are constantly exposed to the wrong kinds of foods. And we like them.
According to the commonwealthfund.org The US spends, by far, the most on our Healthcare of any country in the world.But we have, by far, the lowest life expectancy worldwide. Note: This is a 2019 study so the covid statistics are not included.
American health continues to slide in 2021. Lockdowns and depression have not been good for us. In fact, 80% of our health problems are attributable to lifestyle and diet choices we make rather than a bad health care system.
This is the good news. We have a lot of control over our health. Let’s start with a wonderfully healthy diet and regular exercise.
Did you know walking is the best exercise? I have been amazed at how much walking helped me when I added it to my daily routine. highly recommend!
After the big food holidays is a perfect time to start detoxing from all the yummy high carb goodies and junk food. Start your year with this soup and a diet that nourishes and supports your body. This lentil soup is a good place to start.
The Nutritional Powerhouses in Healthy Detox Lentil Soup:
Lentils are amazingly good for you. So are the other ingredients in this lovely recipe. This is a high fiber soup full of sustaining nutrients your body will love.
- ALL lentils are low in calories and contain high amounts of folate, iron and protein. Lentils also contain loads of b vitamins, zinc, magnesium and potassium. They are cheap and easy to cook in a large batch. Keep them in the fridge for healthy recipes on the fly throughout the week.
- Ginger has excellent health properties. Gingerol is a powerful antioxidant, antioxidative, and anti inflammatory. Read our Article on 10 natural Health Benefits of Ginger for more information on this.
- Garlic is also great for you. And its a wonderful and common flavoring for many recipes.
- Carrots are loaded with fiber.
- Kale is a super food green and it also sustains well in cooked soups like this one.
Detox Lentil Soup Recipe:
Detox lentil soup is a good soup anytime. When we are clearing our digestion of toxic foods, it’s almost medicinal in its benefits for our bodies.
The fiber in lentil soup will help clear out a digestive tract clogged with unhealthiness. It’s full of great nutrients too.
Enjoy this healthful soup whatever the time of year, or state of your health. If you’re looking for a great way to give your body a boost.
All the ingredients in this soup work together to make a wonderful flavor blend. Feel free to adjust the amounts you use to tweak this soup to your taste.
This is a unique soup with a wonderfully different flavor profile. I really enjoy it and it is well reviewed. I hope you will try it as written at least once before choosing to tweak this recipe. With that said, Here are some notes on substitutions and adjustments.
The nutritional profile will suffer if you choose to opt out of the ginger, carrots, kale and garlic. They all offer amazing health benefits.
If you don’t have one of the ingredients for this soup here are some ideas for you.
- Lentils come in different varieties and colors. The tiny black lentils, fast cooking orange or red lentil and yellow. You may need to adjust the cooking time of your lentil depending on which variety you have on hand. ALL these lentils will make great detox soup for you. Just remember to soak your lentils ahead and drain them before cooking.
- You can use maple syrup instead of the dates.
- You can choose whatever peppers you prefer for this soup. I use them raw for the best flavor and nutrient gain. You can also add more peppers or just use one to your taste.
- Sesame oil does add an particular flavor you will notice. Hot sesame oil also adds a spicy element. You can choose avocado oil or coconut oil for this recipe if you don’t enjoy sesame oil.
- This also applies to the seasonings. Adjust them to suit yourself.
Cooking Detox Lentil Soup:
You can cook the lentils ahead and let them cool before using or add them hot. It doesn’t matter as long as they are well cooked.
I have complete instructions in the printable recipe card for instant pot lentil soup. With an instant pot you can use presoaked and rinsed raw lentils. You just need to increase the cooking time.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
This is a very healthy high- fiber, vegan, vegetarian, dairy- free and gluten- free soup. This luscious, detox lentil soup recipe will flush out toxins while refreshing and nourishing your body.
- 2 Tablespoons Hot Chili Sesame Oil, or coconut Oil
- 1 /4 Cup Medjool Dates-chopped and pitted
- 3 tsp Ginger-minced raw
- 3 cloves Garlic-minced
- 1/2 -1 tsp Black Pepper
- 4 bell peppers-(or papilla)-chopped small
- 2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/2 Lemon juice-fresh squeezed preferred
- 3 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 Cup walnuts-chopped
- 1 tsp. Salt -to taste
- 1 cup Leeks-chopped (or onions)
- 1/2 cup Celery-chopped
- 1 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 2 cup kale-any variety coarsely chopped
- 2 cups Carrots-diced small
- 4 cups Water (or stock)
- Place your lentils into a 3 quart pot with 4 cups of water. Boil and reduce heat to simmer until tender but not mushy.
- In a medium stock pot on medium heat, add hot sesame oil.
- Add the chopped carrots,celery, lemon juice, leeks, dates, ginger, garlic, seasonings, pumpkin seeds, walnuts,
- Sauté' for 5-10 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Add the kale and water to the mixture. Simmer a few minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils and simmer gently, stirring occasionally 10 minutes (or until the soup ingredients are combined and universally tender).
- Blend the soup mixture with your kitchen blender or food processor until the texture is smooth.
- Add the raw peppers and pulse to blend .
- When ready to serve, garnish with chopped parsley.
Instant Pot Lentil Soup:
- Set your Instant pot to sauté function.
- Pour in the sesame oil.
- Add the chopped carrots, celery, lemon juice, leeks, dates, ginger, garlic, seasonings, pumpkin seeds, walnuts
- Sauté 5 to 10 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Add the kale, water and cooked lentils.
- Set the instant pot to manual for 5 minutes.
- Quickrelease, add the raw peppers and blend in your blender.
TO Use UNCOOKED lentils in the instant pot. If your lentils are soaked ahead you can add them into the instant pot raw at step 5. INCREASE the cooking time to 20 minutes and then quick release the pot and blend the soup.
The prep happens mostly at the same time as you cook this recipe. You will be busy in this hour. This soup is so worth it!
You can use cold recooked lentils if you have them on hand to further reduce the time line of this soup recipe.
It is easy to cook your lentils at the same time you cook the other ingredients if you use your instant pot. Remember to soak the lentils ahead.
Amount Per Serving Calories 229Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 1mgSodium 375mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 9gSugar 8gProtein 9g
Recipe adapted from: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/