Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix is a great way to enjoy this holiday season. Make your own Hot Cocoa Mix and enjoy a rich, comforting drink made with ingredients you know and can trust. Made with semi sweet chocolate, sugar, cocoa powder, dry non fat milk, and a dash of sea salt; this homemade dry mix can be made ahead and stored until you are ready to enjoy it.
Perfect for the holidays, this recipe makes up to 6 servings and would be a fantastic food gift.
What is the difference between Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate?
Hot chocolate is deep, rich beverage made from melted chocolate and milk, cream or water for a thick chocolatey dessert drink. Hot cocoa is made from dry ingredients including powdered cocoa, sugar, and added flavorings like vanilla.
Is it better to make Hot Cocoa with milk or water?
Milk will give your hot cocoa that velvety, creamy consistency that we all know and love. Full fat milk is always the best choice to achieve the thick texture of a good hot cocoa, however, low fat milk or even milk substitutes can also be used.
Water can be used to make hot cocoa but the drink will be much lighter and not as rich.
What makes Hot Cocoa taste better?
Good quality ingredients are always the best way to ensure the tastiest hot cocoa. Look for a good quality cocoa that has been sourced ethically and does not contain added sugars or fillers. Other ways to improve the taste of hot cocoa drinks is by adding in additional spices and flavors.
Popular holiday spices like cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and ginger will all elevate your hot cocoa and deepen the chocolate flavor.
Recipe Notes on Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
This recipe does use nonfat dry milk powder, but it doesn’t need to. The milk powder just adds an added richness to the drink.
If you prefer, you can eliminate the powdered milk and use any nut or dairy milk you like when heating it. We used coconut milk today. The flavor was gorgeously rich and chocolatey.
You can use regular cocoa powder but we recommend dutch process cocoa powder.
We love that this mix uses chocolate chunks. They are a welcomed treat when enjoying this beverage. You can either chop the chocolate by hand, or use a food processor; whichever you prefer.
To make this Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe
- Chop the chocolate up fine
- Mix the powdered milk, chopped chocolate, salt and cocoa powder together in a large bowl
- Store this mix in an airtight container
This mix holds well if kept in an airtight container. It can be stored for a few months but for best results, we do not recommend long term storage.
Gift This Recipe
This recipe is easy to make and looks adorable in a cute mason jar. It is such an inexpensive, personal gift for a friend or co worker.
This easy homemade hot chocolate mix is so nice for chocolate lovers to open as a gift. Especially if it also included a few Candy Coated Spoons for fun.
How can you garnish Hot Cocoa?
Hot Cocoa is an iconic winter drink that is enjoyed in a variety of ways. We are sharing some of our favorite ways to garnish and dress up your classic Hot Cocoa Drink.
- Cinnamon sticks
- Shaved chocolate
- Ground cayenne
- Ground ginger
- Mini marshmallows
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Small candy cane (or crushed candy canes)
Chocolate Covered Spoons are a fun accompanying gift or garnish option that everyone loves. They can be made in a variety of ways to fit any theme or decor style.
To make a cup of Hot Cocoa:
- Set a pan on the stove on low.
- Add one cup of water, milk or nut milk you like.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of the mix to the milk and stir until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Heat until warmed.
- Pour the heated cocoa into your heat proof cup and garnish as you desire.
- Serve with whipped cream and your favorite toppings.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Homemade Hot Cocoa mix. Make your own hot cocoa mix and enjoy a chocolate, rich, comforting drink made with a few ingredients you know and can trust! The mix stores easily in an airtight container, has a long shelf life and makes a perfect gift!
- 3 oz. Semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 Cup(dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
Make the mix:
- Chop the chocolate into fine pieces. Either chop with a large knife, or use your food processor
- In a large bowl add the cocoa, sugar, salt and chocolate pieces
- Whisk together thoroughly
- Store in an airtight container
For one cup of hot cocoa:
- Pour one cup of milk, water or any nut milk into a one quart pan
- Set on low.
- Add 3 Tablespoons of the cocoa mix and whisk it together until it's thoroughly mixed and warmed to your taste.
- whipped cream
- ground cinnamon
- cinnamon stick
- Ground ginger (tiny bit)
- Cayenne (tiny bit)
- mini marshmallows
- small candy canes
- This mix holds indefinitely in an airtight container. I use a mason jar.
- Create a label for the single serving instructions and tape it to your jar.
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 60mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 2gSugar 25gProtein 3g
This Recipe Post is part of The Best Homemade Food Gifts Collection by TheHealthyHelperBlog.com
Recipe source: The Kitchn