Scrumptious chocolate chunk sweet potato granola is crunchy, flavorful and chock full of anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate chunks and sweet potato! Get a yummy, healthy start to your day with this Low-Sodium, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free breakfast!
Sweet potatoes and Chocolate in granola are best friends. I risked an entire batch of really excellent ingredients to prove it to myself! Turns out, fortunately, they are really good friends. They play well with all the other ingredients in this recipe too!
The nutrition factor in this breakfast is huge! For great, in depth, information on the health benefits of sweet potatoes check out whfoods.com. They are one of my favorite website sources for the nitty gritty on health benefits of various foods. Suffice it to say sweet potatoes belong in your diet, as often as you can find ways to include them. One additional plus. Sweet potatoes add sweetness to this recipe, so they help reduce the need for other sweeteners.
The other ingredients are also powerhouses of get up and go food. Chia seeds, whole flax, oatmeal, almonds and CHOCOLATE! Chocolate is always a good idea because it’s so good! I find it a decadent choice for my breakfast granola, but don’t forget; good dark chocolate is also full of antioxidants and lots of other health benefits. In this stress filled world, our diets need lots of these!
Chocolate Chunk Sweet Potato Granola is an idea that has stuck like a burr for about a year. Last week I used the last of my Pumpkin Cranberry Granola. As I tossed the empty scoop into the granola pan I knew this recipe had to be attempted! Yay! It is delicious and healthy. Love when that happens!
I definitely fall into the homemade Food Junkie class when it comes to granola. I have made my own granola for years. I also make my own homemade Greek Yogurt which is SO good and very useful to have in the kitchen at all times. Granola makes a great snack or dessert as well. We love parfaits made with yogurt, fruit and granola. Yum! Go take a look at Homemade Granola and Steel Cut Granola for even more healthy granola recipes!
Helpful hint: These granolas are so popular with my family members, I make huge amounts at once and gift it to them! Homemade Granolas like any of the ones on this blog are a wonderful, personal gift. Find a cute jar and a ribbon!
Recipe Notes On Chocolate Chunk Sweet Potato Granola:
It wasn’t even hard! Here’s how to make this excellent granola:
- Whisk together the dry granola ingredients in a large bowl,
- Stir in the cooked peeled, pureed sweet potatoes and mix together with remaining wet ingredients.(I used up some leftover cooked sweet potatoes)
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients
- bake for 20 minutes. Turn the granola over with a spatula. Return to oven and repeat until it’s dry and lightly toasted.
- After baking return the granola to the big bowl
- Pour the melted chocolate into the mix and stirred until bite sized blobs of chocolate infused with seeds and nuts form.
- Add in the raisin and Craisins when the chocolate hardens and mix well.
- Store in an airtight container
This granola is most nutritionally beneficial if you use organic, well sourced, ingredients. Dark chocolate can be either chocolate chips or chunked up chocolate bars if you wish.
Chocolate Chunk Sweet Potato Granola
Scrumptious chocolate chunk sweet potato granola is crunchy, flavorful and chock full of anti-oxidant rich dark chocolate chunks and sweet potato!
- 3 Cups regular rolled oats
- 1 Cup sweet Potato puree
- 1 Cup chia seeds
- 1 Cup whole flax seed
- 1 Cup sliced Almonds
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 Cup coconut oil-melted
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Cup melted dark chocolate chips
- 1 Cup raisins
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- Puree the sweet potato by peeling the potatoes, cutting them into 2 inch chunks and boiling until soft
- Cool and mash them with an electric mixer or by hand
- Preheat your oven to 325 F.
- Put the oats, chia and flax seeds, almonds and spices into a large bowl. Mix well
- Put the sweet potatoes into a separate, medium bowl with the melted coconut oil, brown sugar, honey and vanilla and mix until smooth
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the oat mixture. Mix until all the ingredients are evenly coated
- Spray two large, lipped baking sheets with coconut oil spray
- Divide the granola mix evenly onto the baking sheets
- Place each baking sheet in your oven and bake for 20 minutes
- Check the granola and with a spatula, turn it over on the sheets for even browning and drying
- Return the baking sheets to your oven for another 20 minutes. Repeat once more if necessary to dry the granola mostly. It will be somewhat steamy and a bit moist. It continues to dry as it cools
- Remove both baking sheets from oven and return the granola to the washed and dried large pot
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or on the stove, very low, watching constantly so it won't burn.
- Stir the chips until they are smooth and dump into the granola by teaspoonfuls. Stir thoroughly until you see the chocolate forming small clumps all through the granola
- Let the chocolate chunks harden a little
- Add the cranberries and raisins. Stir well
- Pour the finished slightly warm into an airtight container and let cool. Enjoy! It's so good!
Amount Per Serving Calories 203Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 0mgSodium 8mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 5gSugar 13gProtein 4g
Sunday 21st of June 2020
I think I may have found my new favorite blog. I want to try every one of you granolas. Also I love reading about people that garden. I’m going to have a ton of zucchini and tomatoes. ??
Sunday 21st of June 2020
Hi Morgan, You just made our day! :) We are so happy to welcome you to the Homemade Food Junkie community. Please let us know if you have any questions. We are here to help. We also LOVE if you tag us on instagram with your pics and stories of our recipes and your garden shots. It's so fun to see what your doing. Enjoy !
Sweet Potato Breakfast Recipes | Coffee With Us 3
Monday 14th of May 2018
[…] Chocolate Chunk Sweet Potato Granola from Homemade Food Junkie […]
Pumpkin Cranberry Granola | Homemade Food Junkie
Thursday 28th of January 2016
[…] great dessert! You might also want to take a peek at some of my other granolas. Steel cut Granola, Chocolate Chunk Sweet Potato Granola, and Homemade Healthy Coconut Cranberry Choco […]
Homemade Healthy Coconut Cranberry Choco Bars | Homemade Food Junkie
Tuesday 29th of December 2015
[…] you’re a granola lover? You may also like Chocolate Chunk Sweet Potato Granola, Steel Cut Granola, Pumpkin Cranberry Granola, or my basic Homemade Granola. All of these granola […]
Vicky & Ruth- May I Have That Recipe
Wednesday 18th of November 2015
I love the idea of adding sweet potatoes and chocolate to granola...its screams holiday season to me! I don't think i can wait for the holidays to make it!
Wednesday 18th of November 2015
Thank you! This granola is perfect for right now! So delicious and healthy!