Our Lemon Almond Bread is the perfect balance of sweet and satisfying with a soft cake-like loaf, topped with our lemon glaze and slivered almonds. Quick breads are a fantastic treat when you don’t really want cake, but you want a scrumptious treat. We make ours with organic flour, fresh lemon juice, and coconut oil for a flavorful bake.
This recipe is perfect as an afternoon snack, or after dinner dessert. You can enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee, or a glass of cold milk. It comes together quickly and can be frozen to be enjoyed at a later or shared with family and friends.
Lemons are one of our favorite fruits to bake with. They are versatile, add a bright burst of flavor and color, and create a wonderful balance in those sweet treats. The almonds can be omitted if you prefer, but they do add a satisfying crunch which keeps the texture interesting.
You can use this recipe as a base to build on and include your favorite ingredients to pair with lemon breads. The glaze is also of course optional, and if you are planning to store or freeze the bread we do recommend waiting to glaze it until you are ready to serve for optimal freshness and the best texture.
What can I include in my lemon almond bread?
This recipe is a great base to build on, and it can be spruced up to include additional ingredients that you and your family love to enjoy with lemon. Here are some of our favorite ideas for a lemon almond bread.
- Make an almond flour lemon bread for a lighter consistency
- Make it an almond flour lemon poppy seed bread for a classic pairing that is very well loved
- Swap out the slivered almonds for another nut like walnuts or chopped pecans
- Omit the glaze to reduce the sugar and sweetness
- Top with a delicious crumble
- Make this recipe into mini lemon cakes or muffins by changing up the pan you use
- Dress up the garnish with sugared lemon peel curls and mint leaves
What can I serve with my lemon almond bread?
Quick breads like this lemon almond loaf can be enjoyed in so many ways, and with an assortment of other foods. This makes it a wonderful addition to your party table, a brunch menu, a Mothers Day tea, or a girls night. Here are some popular dishes to serve alongside your lemon bread.
- An assortment of fresh fruits
- Fresh baked muffins
- Serve alongside a charcuterie board as a savory option
- As a sweet treat alongside a mimosa bar
- With scones, donuts, and shortbread cookies
- Enjoy with espresso drinks and teas
How do I make the best quick bread?
Making quick breads like this lemon almond bread is much like making cakes. Quick breads are more similar to cakes than breads. They are heavier than cakes, with a soft dense interior that is almost identical to cake. Quick breads do not have the open crumb and light texture of most breads.
They get their name mainly because they are traditionally baked in mini bread loaf pans. They can also be made more savory, similar to breads.
- Use the freshest ingredients possible for the best texture, bake, and flavor
- Do not over mix or the sweet loaf can quickly become heavy and chewy
- Oils and liquids are key with quick breads as they bring the texture into the more cake-like realm
- Bake low and slow for an even bake
- Store the bread properly and allow to cool fully to avoid trapped moisture which can lead to it becoming stale
Make this bread as directed for a dairy free baked treat
Our recipe uses almond milk which means this is a great option to offer if you are serving this at an event or party for a crowd. The almond milk is paired with coconut oil rather than butter which keeps the bread light and moist for a delicious texture.
You can of course change this up to make a more natural bread with your chosen ingredients, but for a diary free option it’s a fantastic treat.
Lemon Almond Bread Notes
The milk can be changed up depending on your preferences and what you have on hand. The almond extract can be omitted if you prefer, but it really does elevate the delicious flavor pairing of lemon and almond that this loaf is loved for.
It can be made without any sort of electric mixer for an easy and very recipe that anyone can make.
If you are freezing it, be sure you allow it to cool completely before wrapping tightly in plastic wrap. Then, wrap again with foil to prevent any freezer burn. Label and date it clearly and place it in a plastic freezer safe bag for added protection against air.
Lemon almond bread is a light, dairy free quick bread loaf covered with a lemony, zingy glaze and sliced almonds.
For the bread:
- 1 -1/2 cups all-purpose organic flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup melted and well warmed coconut oil
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
For the lemon glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, for garnishing the loaf
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan with coconut or other oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. In a small bowl, combine sugar and lemon zest. Whisk into the flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the almond milk, oil, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, and almond extract.(NOTE: The coconut oil may solidify if it gets too cold. Just put it in the microwave for a minute or less to warm the wet ingredients to 76 degrees, the melting point of coconut oil and it will combine well.)
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Place the loaf on a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes. Loosen the sides of the bread with a knife. Carefully remove loaf from pan. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- While the bread is cooling, make the lemon glaze. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, and almond extract. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle the glaze of the lemon almond bread. Sprinkle sliced almonds over the bread. Cut and serve
To make this recipe in mini loaf pans oil three mini loaf pans and bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Amount Per Serving Calories 266
Here are some more of our favorite quick bread recipes for you to try!
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Best Spicy Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
- Delicious Dark Chocolate Berry Bars with Toasted Pistachio
- Light and Fluffy Sourdough Discard Doughnuts Recipe
- Exploring Freeze Drying Vs Dehydrating
- How to Freeze Dry Beef: A Simple Guide