Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread with a sugary Streusel topping hits all the warm and cozy happy notes of Fall.
The mornings are crisp, afternoons sunny the days are getting shorter. Our nights cool and dew is mostly on the grass all day long. Which my lawn mower hates. Ground foggy mornings. leaves turning and that special smell that can only mean Fall.
Let’s make bread!
Watch Me Make this Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread:Our garden is also starting to be rather Fallish. The squash vines are starting to die. Dave peppers and tomatoes do NOT appreciate the cold and damp. He’ll be bringing them in soon and starting Fall Garden Chores.
The pumpkins and apples are both ripe right now. Pumpkin bread is SO good and this is the perfect time to break out the recipes and get Fall baking started!
This bread cuts well and holds together perfectly. Sometimes quick breads are a bit crumbly. Not this one. My husband took slices in his lunchbox and they proved good travelers for him.
Tweet This Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread Recipe!
Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread with Streusel
Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread is just that. A yummy rich, moist pumpkin bread with tiny bursts of fresh apple and a lovely spice blend to bring them together. I sprinkled a bit of extra pumpkin sweet over the top to really bring it home. This recipe is the very essence of Fall baking. It’s easy to do and makes lovely Fall gifts for a friend or hostess gift, Holidays, potlucks and office parties.
- Apple Choices: For best results I recommend the braeburn, honeycrisp or fuji apple varieties so you have a firm but sweeter cooking apple. A green apple like granny smith will be too tart and the sweet mushy apples will never hold up in the bread.
- This recipe calls for canned pumpkin but you can use in season pumpkins by roasting them. Our post on fresh roasted pumpkin puree will show you how. The extra flavor and sweetness you will gain by roasting fresh pumpkins for this quick bread is SO worth it. And the puree freezes well so it’s easy to keep on hand for pumpkin pies and other pumpkin treats.
- This is a very dense moist bread. That makes is a bit tricky to bake completely. The oven temperature is a bit slow for this reason. Give this bread the time it needs to bake thoroughly or the middle will be underdone. you will need to watch your own oven the first time you make this (or any dense quick bread) to see how it bakes for you.
We needed to keep this loaf in the oven almost an hour and a half which is long for a quick bread. But it came out very moist and held together great after cooling. Be sure to insert a clean toothpick into the center of the bread at about 60 minutes. If it comes out clean your bread is ready. We still had a few crumbs on the toothpick even after 75 minutes. But the bread was ‘done enough’.
I think you’ll like this recipe and so will the family. It’s been tested by all age groups in our crowd and universally enjoyed. I made it with canned pumpkin this time since our pumpkins are still in Fall decor rather than my oven at this this time. 🙂
This Spice Bread recipe freezes really well
- Simply let it cool completely after baking.
- Tightly wrap the loaf so no air touches it in plastic wrap. Cover in foil for further protection.
- Label the loaf with name and date.
- Freeze several weeks to two months.
- You can freeze it longer if double wrapped.
- After wrapping the loaf in plastic wrap to keep the air out I put my loaves in heavier plastic like a ziplock freezer bags to freeze my breads up to 6 months.
The spices used in this recipe are pretty simple for a reason. I like simple! Feel free to adjust the seasonings by ‘taking apart’ the pumpkin spice blend and adjusting the spices to please yourself. After all, That is the beauty of home cooking.
To Make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice:
If you prefer to make your own pumpkin spice blend here is a recipe that is pretty much universally pleasing. So nice to have back up when your out of store bought or just want to adjust the seasonings to your own preferences. Someday I’ll make a post with this recipe for you but for today here is the Pumpkin Pie Spice blend I use.
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves.
- Mix the spices together and adjust to your preference.
Your Printable recipe card:
Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread is delicious and moist . Full of heavenly Fall flavor, this sustaining bread makes a yummy breakfast, snack, or dessert. This bread hold together and travels well in the lunch box and to holiday parties.
- 1 2/3 Cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Cup pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- 1/2 Cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 Cup oil, avocado oil recommended
- 1 Cup chopped apples, pie apples work best
- 3/4 tsp. All purpose flour
- 2.5 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 Tablespoon butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add 3/4 Tablespoon of butter to a medium mixing bowl. Mix all the streusel dry ingredients together with the butter until evenly textured and crumbly. Set aside.
- Prep apples by washing and drying. Check for any bad spots. Do NOT chop yet. Set aside for later.
- Whisk together wet ingredients for the pumpkin bread.
- In a different bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. NOW Pour the wet ingredient mixture into the center of the dry ingredients and stir together.
- Chop and core the unpeeled prepped apple into small pieces.
- Fold the chopped apple pieces into the batter bowl.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9 x 4 loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 75 minutes until your toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit in pan for 5 minutes. Then turn the loaf out onto a cooling rack.
- Let cool to room temperature before cutting.
Amount Per Serving Calories 250Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 33mgSodium 291mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 2gSugar 20gProtein 3g