The Mexican Mule is beautiful in it’s simplicity and pale amber glow. This golden tequila cocktail is a south of the border twist on the Moscow Mule. It Uses ginger ale and gold tequila in place of the vodka and ginger beer.
National Tequila Day:
This is a fun drink to celebrate National Tequila Day on July 24. After all, Jose Cuervo created tequila in Tequila, Mexico in the State of Jalisco in 1795. The rest…is history
Raise this Mexican Mule (Otherwise known as the Tequila Mule or Mayan Mule) in salute to Jose. Also give our Tequila Sunrise Margarita with silver tequila recipe a try.
You May Also Enjoy These Cocktails:
Visit our Cocktail Section For our complete listing of delicious alcoholic drinks.
The Ingredients for The Mexican Mule:
For the Tequila Jose Cuervo is a good choice with the other ingredients in this cocktail recipe.
According to the Cuervo® website Jose tequila Gold is a golden-style joven tequila made from a blend of reposado tequila and younger tequilas.
Choose an Aged blue agave reposado tequila like Jose Cuervo. It develops a smother flavor which we prefer. Silver or blanco tequilas are rather harsh for this drink.
Other Ingredients in this Cocktail:
We also changed out the spicy ginger beer we use in our Moscow mule for ginger ale. It’s a nice way to show off your higher end agave tequilas.
- fresh Lime juice
- Ginger ale
- Simple Syrup
It’s a delightful Happy Hour tequila mixed drink. Just right for winding down after work.
Mule Drinks are often served in copper mugs as you see in our Moscow Mule drink recipe article . Read that entire post for an exhaustive discussion of the whole copper mug controversy, the origins of the original Moscow Mule drink, and a great recipe.
We chose to use a clear Tall Collins Glass for our Mexican Mule. If you have copper mugs feel free to use them. We wanted to go for clear this time. You can see the pretty amber color of the gold tequila shine through this Mule and the bubbles. 🙂
Making the Mexican Mule:
This tequila drink is very simple to put together. Here is your visual journey through the process. You can also watch my Video demonstration at the top of this post and in the sidebar of this article.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
A Mexican Mule is a fun south of the border twist on the Moscow Mule. Switch out the vodka and ginger beer for Gold Tequila and ginger ale. If you love tequila this is your Mule!
- Chill the ginger ale ahead of preparing this drink
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice.
- Measure and pour the tequila, lime juice and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake vigorously until very cold.
- Fill a Highball glass with ice.
- Strain the drink from the shaker into your glass.
- Top your glass off with the chilled ginger ale.
- Garnish and serve.
Slice a lime wheel and cut it to the center. Arrange on the side of the glass.
- Paksh Novelty Italian Highball Glasses [Set of 6] Clear Heavy Base Tall Bar Glass - Drinking Glasses for Water, Juice, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Cocktails | 13 Ounce Cups
- Elite Cocktail Shaker Set Bartender Kit by BARILLIO: 24 oz Stainless Steel Martini Mixer, Muddler, Mixing Spoon, jigger, 2 liquor pourers, Velvet Bag, Recipes Booklet & eBook
- Vremi Large Silicone Ice Cube Trays (2 Pack) - Ideal for Whiskey, Cocktails, Soups, Baby Food and Frozen Treats - Flexible and BPA Free, Produces 8 Cubes per Tray - Includes Covers for Easy Stacking
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 191 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 8mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 15g Protein: 0g