Soft sourdough cinnamon raisin bread is a beautifully flavored and sliceable loaf. Your family will love this yummy breakfast bread.
Have you had trouble with your cinnamon swirl breads falling apart when sliced? Can’t get the loaf formed correctly? Do you know how to make the layers and incorporate the raisins? NO? Read on.
In this post we will show you step by step how to turn sourdough into a delicious cinnamon raisin bread.
If you just want the recipe hit the Jump to recipe button to skip all the guides and go down to the printable. Enjoy!
Several of you have requested this bread recipe. Who doesn’t love a wonderful sweet sourdough cinnamon raisin bread? and I am FINALLY delivering.
This delicious bread recipe is another winner from our Master Baker Contributor Sasha Hunter. I asked Sasha if she had a good sourdough bread recipe for homemade cinnamon raisin bread.
Sasha spent a whole afternoon photographing her recipe for us. These are all Sasha’s pictures. She makes beautiful bread and takes great pictures too.
Sasha takes us through her entire baking process step by step. She shares her sure fire method of making homemade cinnamon raisin bread. Tips and photos of every step included.
I’ve also included my video on basic techniques for making this sourdough bread. Need more help with the long cold rise Tartine method of bread baking? You will find more help in my complete Beginners Artisan Sourdough Bread Recipe Tutorial .
More Sourdough Bread Recipes:
Looking for more sourdough bread? Start with these delicious recipes.
Soft Cinnamon Raisin Bread Recipe:
Notice I have linked above the soft sourdough Sandwich bread recipe. That is the bread recipe Sasha is using here. I have included the recipe in this post too. However….
If you need more help making the recipe jump over to the Soft sourdough recipe post. It has LOTS of helps in it for you. We begin this cinnamon raisin version of the recipe at the second stretch and fold of the process.
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread Recipe:
Use this recipe and replace the white flour up to 50% with a good white whole wheat bread flour. This will give you a slightly denser loaf than our sourdough white bread recipe.
White whole wheat will make a bread light enough to enjoy with the added weight of the cinnamon swirl and raisins.
If you want to make a 100 % whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread use our Whole Wheat sourdough bread recipe with white whole wheat. You may want to add a bit of honey to the dough to make it sweeter for this recipe.
At the second stretch and fold start checking back to this recipe for the cinnamon raisin instructions.
Tips for the best Cinnamon raisin Swirl bread recipe.
Plump Raisins before first stretch and fold. Mix 150 grams dry weight raisins to an equal weight of water. Let soak until the raisin are completely plumped. Drain and set raisins aside until needed at the second stretch and fold.
TIP: Incorporate the plumped raisins into the dough at the second and third stretch and folds. Half of them in the second stretch and fold and the rest in the third.
The raisins are swirled with cinnamon sugar layer. The even distribution of raisins is preferable for little pops of raisin flavor while you eat this delicious bread.
NOTE: Adding the raisins into the cinnamon sugar layer is problematic. The raisins always fall out while eating and the layers tend to separate. Not ideal.
If you forget to do this you can also…
- Take your dough and dump cinnamon / sugar mix and raisins on top.
- Chop and fold it all into your dough with your bench scraper.
- Sasha does this sometimes when she feels like making a plain loaf into a flavored loaf at the last minute.
The Cinnamon Sugar Filling:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon.
- Mix well.
This blend can be used as much or as little as your prefer. Feel Free to double the cinnamon layer or cut it down as your family prefers.
Personally I really like cinnamon. I think bread recipes for breakfast need a lot of yummy flavor and spice to help wake me up. I may be one to double this cinnamon sugar filling recipe.
Preparing to form the Cinnamon Raisin loaves
Look at the structure of this dough as it falls out of the bowl. This is what you are shooting for. The gluten is well developed.
Forming the Loaves:
Here is a visual guide to show you how Sasha forms her loaves and adds in the cinnamon swirl layers. NOTE: There are two layers of the cinnamon swirl.
Rolling it up:
The printable recipe card has all the instructions step by step. But the techniques Sasha uses is easiest to understand when you can see the process too.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Beautifully swirled cinnamon raisin bread begins with your bread recipe of choice. Her are the instructions for turning your bread recipe into a yummy cinnamon raisin bread.
Soft sourdough Sandwich bread dough
- 300 grams starter-freshly fed and active
- 650 grams warm water
- 50 grams honey
- 40 grams avocado oil
- 1000 grams White bread flour (high protein)
- 20 grams Salt
Cinnamon and Raisin filling:
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 150 grams dried raisins
- 150 grams water
- Begin with a very active recently fed starter. It should pass the float test.
- Set a large bowl on a digital food scale set to grams and press the tare button. The scale should read zero.
- Pour in the water to weight of 650 g. Press tare.
- Pour in 300 grams of starter. Press tare. The starter should form a floating mass on the water.
- Add the oil. Press tare
- Add the honey. Press tare.
- Whisk together the starter, oil, honey and water until they are mixed.
- Add the 1000 grams of flour.
- Mix the flour into the water/starter with a dough hook, spatula and your wet hands until you have a shaggy ball of dough.
- autolyse 1 hour.
- Sprinkle salt across dough.
- spritz with water bottle and work in the salt with wet hands.
- Rest 30 mins
STRETCH AND FOLDS:
PREPARE RAISINS: Put the raisins in water and set aside. They will plump as they absorb water for a better finished baking result.
- Begin Stretch and Folds. You need 4 rounds of stretch and folds 30 mins apart. See video for technique
- Incorporate the plumped raisins into the dough in the second and third stretch and folds. Half in one then half in the other.
- Fourth stretch and fold all the raisin will be blended evenly throughout the dough.
LONG COLD RISE:
- Refrigerate overnight.
BENCH REST DOUGH:
- Remove from fridge and warm to room temperature. (ABOUT TWO HOURS)
- Divide the dough into two 1000 grams dough balls by weight.
- Bench rest an hour until dough is elastic.
SHAPE AND FINAL RISE:
- De-gass dough with rolling pin and shape for pans as shown in post.
- Spray the dough with water and evenly sprinkle with Half the cinnamon sugar.
- Fold the outside edges of the dough to the center and close the seam. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar on the top.
- Fold the FRONT corners of the rectangle to the center seam.
- Roll the dough up tucking it as you roll to keep the roll tight.
- Flatten the seam and pinch the ends.
- Place the formed dough loaf into your oiled bread pans.
- let dough do a final rise in bread pans covered loosely with plastic until they reach the top of the loaf pans.
- Do an egg wash(optional) on top of the dough before baking.
- Score the dough with a sharp wet blade. Make one deep slash down the length of the loaf for best rise.
- Preheat oven with a pizza stone(or baking sheet) and broiler pan on oven shelf below at 400°.
- Loaf pans go on top of a sheet pan onto the stone(If you have one).
- Spritz loaves very liberally with water bottle just before going into oven.
- Pour water about 1/2 inch deep in the broiler pan. This creates steam.
- Keep steamy for first 15 mins. Spray hot oven with water as you begin baking the loaves.
- After 15 mins turn oven down to 375°.
- Bake an additional 30-35 mins.
- Turn loaves for even browning.
- Using a digital thermometer check internal Temp of loaf. It is done at 200°. If you don't have a thermometer pop loaves out to test for hollow on bottom. Or thump the loaf. Does is have a hollow sound?
- Remove from oven and cool on racks to room temperature before cutting the bread.
If you decide to turn a loaf into a cinnamon swirl bread at the last minute. You can do this just before shaping the loaf. It is NOT ideal. But it will still taste great.
- Take your dough and dump the cinnamon / sugar mix and raisins on top.
- Chop and fold it all into your dough with your bench scraper.
- I do that sometimes when I feel like making a plain loaf into a flavored loaf at the last minute.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Spring Chef Stainless Steel Pastry Scraper/Bench Scraper Chopper, Best as Pizza and Dough Cutter
- Fletchers' Mill Rolling Pin, Maple - 18 inch, Dough Roller, Perfect for Skilled Bakers, Home Chef's, Great for Bread, Pasta, Cookie Dough, Fondant, Pastry, Cookies, Pie, Pizza, MADE IN U.S.A.
- USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan 1140LF 8.5 x 4.5 x 3 Inch, Small, Silver
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 326mg Carbohydrates: 39g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g