Soft sourdough cinnamon raisin bread is a beautifully flavored and sliceable loaf. Your family will love this yummy breakfast bread.
Have you had trouble with your cinnamon swirl breads falling apart when sliced? Can’t get the loaf formed correctly? Do you know how to make the layers and incorporate the raisins? NO? Read on.
In this post we will show you step by step how to turn sourdough into a delicious cinnamon raisin bread.
If you just want the recipe hit the Jump to recipe button to skip all the guides and go down to the printable. Enjoy!
Several of you have requested this bread recipe. Who doesn’t love a wonderful sweet sourdough cinnamon raisin bread? and I am FINALLY delivering.
This delicious bread recipe is another winner from our Master Baker Contributor Sasha Hunter. I asked Sasha if she had a good sourdough bread recipe for homemade cinnamon raisin bread.
Sasha spent a whole afternoon photographing her recipe for us. These are all Sasha’s pictures. She makes beautiful bread and takes great pictures too.
Sasha takes us through her entire baking process step by step. She shares her sure fire method of making homemade cinnamon raisin bread. Tips and photos of every step included.
I’ve also included my video on basic techniques for making this sourdough bread. Need more help with the long cold rise Tartine method of bread baking? You will find more help in my complete Beginners Artisan Sourdough Bread Recipe Tutorial .
More Sourdough Bread Recipes:
Looking for more sourdough bread? Start with these delicious recipes.
Want even more sourdough recipes? Visit our Sourdough section for sourdough discard recipes, bagels, pretzels and cinnamon rolls…
Soft Cinnamon Raisin Bread Recipe:
Notice I have linked above the soft sourdough Sandwich bread recipe. That is the bread recipe Sasha is using here. I have included the recipe in this post too. However….
If you need more help making the recipe jump over to the Soft sourdough recipe post. It has LOTS of helps in it for you.
We begin this cinnamon raisin version of the recipe at the second stretch and fold of the process.
If you want ONE cinnamon raisin loaf divide the dough at this point. Continue the recipe for the cinnamon raisin loaf with one half.
Or make the whole recipe. And use half for this raisin bread. The other leave plain for a delicious soft sourdough sandwich bread or Soft Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls.
Watch Our video (on the sidebar and at the bottom of the printable recipe card).It shows you a different method for incorporating the raisins. It’s the easiest method if doing two different types of bread from a single batch.
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bread Recipe:
Use this recipe and replace the white flour up to 50% with a good white whole wheat bread flour. This will give you a slightly denser loaf than our sourdough white bread recipe.
White whole wheat will make a bread light enough to enjoy with the added weight of the cinnamon swirl and raisins.
If you want to make a 100 % whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread use our Whole Wheat sourdough bread recipe with white whole wheat. You may want to add a bit of honey to the dough to make it sweeter for this recipe.
At the second stretch and fold start checking back to this recipe for the cinnamon raisin instructions.
Tips for the best Cinnamon raisin Swirl bread recipe.
Plump Raisins before first stretch and fold. Mix 150 grams dry weight raisins to an equal weight of water. Let soak until the raisin are completely plumped. Drain and set raisins aside until needed at the second stretch and fold.
TIP: Add the raisins into the dough at the second and third stretch and folds. Half of them in the second stretch and fold and the rest in the third.
The plumped raisins are swirled with cinnamon sugar layer. The even distribution of raisins is preferable for little pops of raisin flavor while you eat this delicious bread.
You can also…
- Take your dough and dump cinnamon / sugar mix and raisins on top.
- Chop and fold it all into your dough with your bench scraper.
- Sasha does this sometimes when she feels like making a plain loaf into a flavored loaf at the last minute.
The Cinnamon Sugar Filling:
For EACH loaf that you want to make into cinnamon raisin bread combine:
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar OR cane sugar as you prefer.
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon.
- Mix well.
This blend can be used as much or as little as your prefer. Feel Free to double the cinnamon layer or cut it down as your family prefers.
Preparing to form the Cinnamon Raisin loaves
Look at the structure of this dough as it falls out of the bowl. This is what you are shooting for. The gluten is well developed.
Forming the Loaves:
Here is a visual guide to show you how Sasha forms her loaves and adds in the cinnamon swirl layers.
NOTE: There are two layers of the cinnamon swirl. Sasha is using brown sugar in the process pictures below. You can also choose granulated cane sugar as you prefer.
Making a loaf into cinnamon raisin bread.
Rolling it up:
The printable recipe card has all the instructions step by step. But the techniques Sasha uses is easiest to understand when you can see the process too. Watch our video for a complete recipe demonstration as well.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Beautifully swirled cinnamon raisin bread begins with your bread recipe of choice. Her are the instructions for turning your bread recipe into a yummy cinnamon raisin bread.
Soft sourdough Sandwich bread dough (This makes two loaves of bread)
- 300 grams starter-freshly fed and active
- 650 grams warm water
- 50 grams honey
- 40 grams avocado oil
- 1000 grams White bread flour (high protein)
- 20 grams Salt
FOR EACH LOAF with Cinnamon and Raisin filling You will need:
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup sugar- (either brown sugar or cane sugar works)
- 150 grams dried raisins
- 150 grams water
- Begin with a very active recently fed starter. It should pass the float test.
- Set a large bowl on a digital food scale set to grams and press the tare button. The scale should read zero.
- Pour in the water to weight of 650 g. Press tare.
- Pour in 300 grams of starter. Press tare. The starter should form a floating mass on the water.
- Add the oil. Press tare
- Add the honey. Press tare.
- Whisk together the starter, oil, honey and water until they are mixed.
- Add the 1000 grams of flour.
- Mix the flour into the water/starter with a dough hook, spatula and your wet hands until you have a shaggy ball of dough.
- autolyse 1 hour.
- Sprinkle salt across dough.
- spritz with water bottle and work in the salt with wet hands.
- Rest 30 mins
STRETCH AND FOLDS:
- PREPARE RAISINS: Put the raisins in water and set aside. They will plump as they absorb water for a better finished baking result.
- Begin Stretch and Folds. You need 4 rounds of stretch and folds 30 mins apart. See video for technique.
- BEFORE the second stretch and fold cut the dough in half if you only want ONE loaf for cinnamon raisin bread. The other make as plain.
- Incorporate the plumped raisins into the dough in the second and third stretch and folds. Half in one then half in the other.
- Fourth stretch and fold all the raisin will be blended evenly throughout the dough.
LONG COLD RISE:
- Refrigerate overnight.
BENCH REST DOUGH:
- Remove from fridge and warm to room temperature. (ABOUT TWO HOURS)
- ( If you have not yet divided the dough for loaves) Divide the dough into two equal dough balls by weight.
- Bench rest an hour until dough is elastic.
SHAPE AND FINAL RISE:
- De-gass dough with rolling pin and shape for pans as shown in post.
- Spray the dough with water and evenly sprinkle with Half the cinnamon sugar.
- Fold the outside edges of the dough to the center and close the seam. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar on the top.
- Fold the FRONT corners of the rectangle to the center seam.
- Roll the dough up tucking it as you roll to keep the roll tight.
- Flatten the seam and pinch the ends.
- Place the formed dough loaf into your oiled bread pans.
- let dough do a final rise in bread pans covered loosely with plastic until they reach the top of the loaf pans.
- Do an egg wash(optional) on top of the dough before baking.
- Score the dough with a sharp wet blade. Make one deep slash down the length of the loaf for best rise.
- Preheat oven with a pizza stone(or baking sheet) and broiler pan on oven shelf below at 400°.
- Loaf pans go on top of a sheet pan onto the stone(If you have one).
- Spritz loaves very liberally with water bottle just before going into oven.
- Pour water about 1/2 inch deep in the broiler pan. This creates steam.
- Keep steamy for first 15 mins. Spray hot oven with water as you begin baking the loaves.
- After 15 mins turn oven down to 375°.
- Bake an additional 30-35 mins.
- Turn loaves for even browning.
- Using a digital thermometer check internal Temp of loaf. It is done at 200°. If you don't have a thermometer pop loaves out to test for hollow on bottom. Or thump the loaf. Does is have a hollow sound?
- Remove from oven and cool on racks to room temperature before cutting the bread.
Alternate Method: To add cinnamon and raisins
If you decide to turn a loaf into a cinnamon swirl bread at the last minute. You can do this just before shaping the loaf. It is NOT ideal. But it will still taste great.
- Take your dough and dump the cinnamon / sugar mix and raisins on top.
- Chop and fold it all into your dough with your bench scraper.
- I do that sometimes when I feel like making a plain loaf into a flavored loaf at the last minute.
Alternate method 2 :
It is easy to add the raisins in when making the cinnamon layers when forming the dough for the bread pans. WATCH the VIDEO below to see me use this method.
This recipe is for two LARGE loaves. One plain and one cinnamon raisin bread. If you prefer to make three smaller loaves the recipe will divide into three smaller loaves.
You will have to decide at the second stretch and fold how many loaves you wish to make with raisins. Divide the dough into thirds at this point and add the raisins into the loaves as you prefer.
NOTE: If you want two loves of cinnamon raisin bread increase the raisin and cinnamon filling up by a third. The same applies if you want two loaves plain and one with the fillings. But DECREASE by a third.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spring Chef Stainless Steel Pastry Scraper/Bench Scraper Chopper, Best as Pizza and Dough Cutter
Fletchers' Mill Rolling Pin, Maple - 18 inch, Dough Roller, Perfect for Skilled Bakers, Home Chef's, Great for Bread, Pasta, Cookie Dough, Fondant, Pastry, Cookies, Pie, Pizza, MADE IN U.S.A.
USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan 1140LF 8.5 x 4.5 x 3 Inch, Small, Silver
Serving Size1 slice cinnamon bread
Amount Per Serving Calories 217Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 326mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 5g
If you want to buy sourdough starter that is well established and ready to go CONTACT SASHA. She sells hers all over the US.