Bake this beautiful soft white sourdough Sandwich bread recipe for your favorite squishable sandwiches.
Sourdough artisan breads are famous for their crusty crusts and soft holy crumb. Perfect for dipping in soups and making paninis or crostinis. Who doesn’t love that shattery crust with a steak or plate of lasagna?
However, When you want a soft squishable sandwich with Mayo or a piece of buttery toast? Eat THIS sourdough sandwich bread.
More Sourdough Bread Recipes:
See our complete sourdough bread recipe tutorial and step by step guide for Beginners in our Artisan Sourdough Bread Recipe .
This Recipe makes two 1000 gram loaves of soft sandwich bread.
Watch our video tutorial to see all the techniques I use to make this bread recipe.
Sasha’s Soft Sourdough Sandwich Bread Recipe:
Sasha, our master baker contributor, created this sourdough recipe for her hubby. He wanted a soft white squishable bread with a soft crust. We all agree this bread makes great sandwiches.
Sasha’s family is incredibly lucky. And so are we. She is sharing her soft sandwich bread recipe with us so we all can benefit from her expertise.
Sasha also shared her Sourdough Milk and Honey Sandwich bread with us in case you missed it. Thank you Sasha!
This is a white bread recipe. However, you can mix whole wheat flour up to 50-50 with your white bread flour and still get good results.
- Begin with an active fed sourdough starter for best results. You do NOT need active dry yeast for this recipe.
- WATCH our video tutorial for ALL the techniques used in this bread dough making process. If you don’t know a term or technique the video will teach you.
- Good Flour is critical to the outcome of any homemade bread recipe. Use a fresh high protein bread flour (at least 5% protein).
Sourdough Sandwich Bread Dough process:
Here is a quick visual walkthrough of this recipe. The complete recipe is in our Printable Recipe Card. But here are the main points.
Sometimes a picture really helps. AND don’t miss our video tutorial (playing in the sidebar) if you need further examples of the techniques.
Cinnamon Swirl Bread Variation and Soft Cinnamon Sourdough Rolls:
Look at the bread baking in the oven (pictured above). The one closest to the front sideways is This soft sourdough bread made as Cinnamon Raisin Bread.
You will find This Complete recipe post for Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin bread has LOTS of tips. A complete walkthrough and guide for incorporating the plumped raisins, layering the cinnamon filling and forming the loaves.
Soft sourdough made as cinnamon raisin swirl bread is pretty darn amazing breakfast food. Give it a try.
Also make these Soft Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls from this bread dough recipe. They are absolutely scrumptious!
How to Shape A loaf of Bread:
You can bake this recipe in boules. However it is much easier to eat as sandwiches and toast when baked in pans.
Here’s how to shape the dough for baking in bread pans.
Prepare the dough for Shaping:
- Remove Dough From Fridge and allow to come to room temperature. This will take about 2 hours.
- Divide and shape the dough into two 1000 gram balls of dough.
- Bench Rest the balls loosely covered about 60 minutes until very elastic.
- Choose one dough ball. Set the other aside to be next.
- Flatten the ball on a floured board with your rolling pin to degass. This may take several passes. (You will notice my bread does still have a few small holes. It needed more degassing)
- Shape the degassed dough into a rectangle and spritz with water.
- Bring the long edges into the center and form a closed seam.
- Fold the two front corners to the middle seam as shown below.
- Roll the dough tightly. tucking it as you roll to avoid air pockets.
- Pinch the ends of the loaf and flatten the seam.
- Place the dough loaf into your OILED loaf pan.
- REPEAT with second dough ball. Continue with the recipe.
The final rise is done in the plastic bags as shown. Allow the dough to rise to the pan top or slightly above. Now bake as directed with a water bath.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Read the complete recipe and instructions below.
A beautifully soft sourdough sandwich bread recipe. This is the perfect loaf for toast and squishable sandwiches with a fine soft moist crumb and excellent flavor.
- 300 grams starter-freshly fed and active
- 650 grams warm water
- 50 grams honey
- 40 grams avocado oil
- 1000 grams White bread flour (high protein)
- 20 grams Salt
- Begin with a very active recently fed starter. It should pass the float test.
- Set a large bowl on a digital food scale set to grams and press the tare button. The scale should read zero.
- Pour in the water to weight of 650 g. Press tare.
- Pour in 300 grams of starter. Press tare. The starter should form a floating mass on the water.
- Add the oil. Press tare
- Add the honey. Press tare.
- Whisk together the starter, oil, honey and water until they are mixed.
- Add the 1000 grams of flour.
- Mix the flour into the water/starter with a dough hook, spatula and your wet hands until you have a shaggy ball of dough.
- autolyse 1 hour.
- Sprinkle salt across dough.
- spritz with water bottle and work in the salt with wet hands.
- Rest 30 mins
STRETCH AND FOLDS:
- Begin Stretch and Folds. You need 4 rounds of stretch and folds 30 mins apart. See video for technique.
LONG COLD RISE:
- Refrigerate overnight.
BENCH REST DOUGH:
- Remove from fridge and warm to room temperature. (ABOUT TWO HOURS)
- Divide the dough into two 1000 grams dough balls by weight.
- Bench rest an hour until dough is elastic.
SHAPE AND FINAL RISE:
- De-gass dough with rolling pin and shape for pans as shown in post.
- let dough do a final rise in your OILED bread pans covered loosely with plastic until they reach the top of the loaf pans.
- Do an egg wash(optional) on top of the dough before baking.
- Score the dough with a sharp wet blade. I make three diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf.
- Preheat oven with a pizza stone(or baking sheet) and broiler pan on oven shelf below at 400°.
- Loaf pans go on top of a sheet pan onto the stone(If you have one).
- Spritz loaves very liberally with water bottle just before going into oven.
- Pour water about 1/2 inch deep in the broiler pan. This creates steam.
- Keep steamy for first 15 mins. Spray hot oven with water as you begin baking the loaves.
- After 15 mins turn oven down to 375°.
- Bake an additional 30-35 mins.
- Turn loaves for even browning.
- Using a digital thermometer check internal Temp of loaf. It is done at 200°. If you don't have a thermometer pop loaves out to test for hollow on bottom. Or thump the loaf. Does is have a hollow sound?
- Remove from oven and cool on racks to room temperature before cutting the bread.
- Measure the ingredients CAREFULLY for best results.
- THE SALT: I use Himalayan salt, but it all works
- THE OIL: Avocado oil is recommended for best health. Use any neutral flavor oil you prefer.
- THE FLOUR: Use any high protein (at least 5 % protein) organic white bread flour. You can make this loaf with 50/50 white and WHITE whole wheat. The loaf will stay soft and have a great nutty flavor. Using 100 percent whole wheat or Hard red whole wheat will give you a different result. The recipe may need some adjusting. I suggest you stick with 100 percent white or 50/50.
Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread:
You will find THIS RECIPE made as Sourdough Cinnamon Raisin bread in this post. It has a complete walkthrough and guide for incorporating the plumped raisins, layering the cinnamon filling and forming the loaves.
It has Lots of great tips and methods shared to keep the raisins and cinnamon filling in the bread. Bread cuts well without falling apart too.
Conversion CUPS to GRAMS:
I do NOT recommend volume measurements for best results with sourdough baking. There are differences in the starter and flours that make weighing by Scale a MUCH more reliable method. But if your not using a scale here are the approximate volume measurements of the ingredients.
- 2 2/3 Cups -300 grams starter-freshly fed and active
- 2 3/4 Cups 650 grams warm water
- 2 3/8 Tablespoons -50 grams honey
- 3 Tablespoons- 40 grams avocado oil
- 8 Cups- 1000 grams White bread flour (high protein)
- i Tablespoon-20 grams Salt
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Fletchers' Mill Rolling Pin, Maple - 18 inch, Dough Roller, Perfect for Skilled Bakers, Home Chef's, Great for Bread, Pasta, Cookie Dough, Fondant, Pastry, Cookies, Pie, Pizza, MADE IN U.S.A.
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
- USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan 1140LF 8.5 x 4.5 x 3 Inch, Small, Silver
Serving Size1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 171Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 325mgCarbohydrates 32gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 2gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 5g