Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Salad is a luscious, perky Low-Carb, Gluten-Free side dish full of nutritious crunchiness with a sweet-tangy dressing. This salad is devoured every time I make it. This recipe is an old standby for Holiday parties and potlucks. Yum! Yum!
Bacon and cheddar cheese add protein and wonderful flavor compliments to this popular side dish. The fresh broccoli is so crunchy, filling, and flavorful in this salad! Perfect for a grill night side, filling lunch or any ole time dinner mate. We love it!
We love it with Easy Baked Salmon with a Brown Sugar Marinade , Grilled Salmon Kabobs or Bacon Wrapped Brats. I’m not kidding when I say for our family this recipe is a legend. It’s one of those ‘Who’s bringing it dishes’ for our potlucks. It’s often on the menu at family gatherings and always disappears fast.
Bacon Cheddar Broccoli salad uses up a load of fresh broccoli and lends itself well to various additions. Salad in our house is made with what’s in the kitchen usually. Organic dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, nuts, and pumpkin seeds…I have used sesame seeds!
There are a few tips to keep the character of this delightful crowd pleaser. Square cheese cubes work better in this salad. The finer, store bought shredded cheese tends to clump up in this salad. I prefer to cube the cheese so it creates pops of yellow and a distinct flavor pop as well.
This is a beautiful, easy to make side dish. For a REALLY heart healthy salad dressing try our Homemade Healthy Mayonnaise recipe. It’s delicious. and uses avocado oil (the heart healthy oil we all need more of). Make a batch in just a few minutes in your food processor.
I’m using organic sugar to sweeten the dressing. If you prefer another sweetener, like pure organic maple syrup, honey or a truvia type sweetener; it should work. Let me know how you make this recipe your own!
I highly recommend you look for a source of unprocessed bacon near you, as we do. Bacon adds so much flavor to recipes. Sourcing bacon that is unprocessed doesn’t ensure a healthy product. Bacon is not health food 🙂 But your family gets fewer chemicals in their diet. I think it’s worth it. Bacon adds such a huge boost to recipes like this.
Cook the bacon in a frying pan ahead of time. Drain and cool it before adding it to the salad. Cook it well done but not to the burned stage.
Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Salad Tossed with a quick to make, tangy dressing made with Bragg’s organic apple cider vinegar is Delicious!
Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Salad Recipe:
I hand chop the broccoli to keep the pieces bite sized but not TOO tiny.
For the Dressing:
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the salad. Store the dressed salad in your fridge up to a day ahead of serving.
For the Broccoli Salad:
- Add the prepared broccoli, bacon, onion, and cheddar cheese into a large bowl.
- Toss with dressing and serve chilled.
This is an all time favorite salad in our friend and family group. This salad goes fast at a picnic, barbecue, or potluck!
189 Calories per serving
Fat 49% 21g
Carbs 4% 8g
Protein is 11% 6g
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup organic sugar or sweetener of your choice
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's organic vinegar with the mother
- For the Broccoli Salad
- 1 large head of broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces, stalk and all(except tough parts)
- 1/2 pound of bacon slice into one inch sections and cook until well done
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 small red or white onion finely diced
- 1/8 Cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 Cup sunflower seeds
- For the Dressing:
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and adjust them to your personal taste.
- Pour the dressing over the assembled salad ingredients and stir gently until all parts of the salad are evenly coated.
- For the Broccoli Salad:
- Put the prepared broccoli, bacon, onion, and cheddar cheese into a large bowl.
- Toss with dressing and serve chilled. This salad can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.
Adjust the serving size according to your needs by doubling or halving this recipe. The dressing can be adjusted to your taste. Use mayo with avocado oil and unprocessed bacon for best nutrition.
Broccoli is so delicious, versatile and healthy for you! Click the link to find out more about this wonderful vegetable and how it benefits your health!
Please Note: This recipe is recently reposted with new content and Pictures. We love this salad and know you will too. Let us know how this recipe works for you!