This Homemade Avocado Mayo recipe is easy to make and tastes so much better than any store bought brand. Using fresh, high quality ingredients like organic pasture raised eggs, a good quality avocado oil, red wine vinegar and dijon mustard you can whip up your own batch of healthy mayonnaise that will last in your fridge for up to two weeks.
This recipe makes a great base mayo that allow you to add seasonings and additional flavor if you wish. It’s simple to throw in your favorite herbs, an extra splash of mustard, some chopped dill or even minced jalapeno peppers.
We walk you through our method for making the best creamy mayo in a snap, complete with helpful tips and suggestions that will help you yield a fantastic mayonnaise.
Is Homemade Mayo healthier than store bought?
Making your own mayonnaise at home can absolutely be healthier than nearly any brand you will find in stores. Although mayo in itself isn’t necessarily ‘healthy’, it can be even harder on your body when it’s loaded down with additives, preservatives, extra sugars and low quality oils that are often found in store bought brands.
When you make your own mayonnaise at home you control the quality of ingredients and what exactly goes into your mayo. By using healthier oils from high quality brands and omitting the extras sugars you are already way ahead of most pre-packaged brands, never mind all of the preservatives and additives that you will avoid.
How do you make Homemade Mayonnaise?
Making a homemade mayo is a very easy process, you will simply gather your ingredients and combine them in a blender. The only finesse about an oil based condiment like mayo is adding your oil in while the blender is on in a very slow drizzle to ensure it emulsifies and blends into a creamy consistency.
Why does Homemade Mayo taste different than store bought?
As with anything, there really is no comparison between homemade and store bought foods. When you make your own mayo you are using high quality, fresh ingredients that will automatically bring up the flavor. Your homemade mayo will be rich, creamy and have a beautiful natural tanginess that store bought brands are often missing.
Three reasons to choose Avocado oil for your Mayonnaise
- Avocado oil is rich in Oleic acids which is considered heart healthy and can aid in lowering blood pressure.
- Avocado also helps the body absorb certain nutrients in vegetables. This recipe will benefit the body’s ability to absorb the nutrients of recipes it’s used in.
- Avocado works well in all sorts of recipes, even high heat recipes. This healthy mayonnaise with avocado oil has a very high smoke point which means it’s going to retain all of its nutritional benefits in grilled foods (think marinades), skillet recipes and baked foods like our Garden Harvest Pie.
Add the health benefits of avocado oil and the other ingredients in this simple recipe for an easy to make food processor mayonnaise ready to use in under five minutes.
Healthy Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe with Avocado Oil:
TIPS for Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- Safely store this mayo in your fridge in an airtight container for 2 weeks. This recipe makes about two cups mayonnaise and a little bit more. It fit just right into a pint jar all the way to the lid. This Mayonnaise can be used right away but will set up more firmly after several hours in the fridge.
- The dijon mustard is a very important flavor component for this recipe.
- I made this recipe in my food processor and it worked wonderfully well. A blender will also work, but likely not as well.
- Be sure to use a narrow cup while pouring the oil through a teeny pour hole. You must pour a tiny amount of oil in at a time to allow emulsification of the oil into the other ingredients.
Why is my Homemade Mayonnaise runny?
If you are having trouble with a loose or watery mayonnaise it’s likely due to not blending it long enough. Patience is the key when making your own mayonnaise, the oil needs to be added very slowly and given enough time to emulsify and blend into a creamy consistency. If your mayo looks loose, blend it for longer and this should fix itself.
Additional tips would be to make sure your ingredients are at room temperature, this will help everything blend and combine. Be careful to follow the recipe measurements to ensure you don’t add too much liquid or oil. And sloooooooowly add the oil while blending on a medium high speed, if you add the oil too quickly, or the blender isn’t going fast enough, you will end up with chunks floating in oil.
A beautifully simple, flavorful and healthy homemade mayonnaise you can make in just a few minutes in your food processor.
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Vinegar (wine or balsamic) or lemon juice
- 21/2 Cups Avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Insert your metal blade into the work bowl of your food processor.
- Break the eggs into the work bowl and add the vinegar, mustard and 1 Tablespoon of the oil.
- Put the lid on and Turn on the food processor for one minute.
- Pour 1/4 cup of oil into the narrow cup so it drizzles through the teeny center hole in the narrow food tube.
- Now gradually add the remaining oil. The may will thicken as you add the remaining oil.
- Adjust the taste according to your use with whatever herbs and spices you prefer.
Serving Size1 Tablespoon
Amount Per Serving Calories 74Total Fat 8.7gCarbohydrates 0gProtein .2g
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Easy Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Simple Pumpkin Pie Twists
- Apple Pie Spiced Coffee Recipe
- Mexican Rice and Chicken One Pot Dinner
- 13 Amazing Summer Mocktail Recipes
Healthline.com has a great article on the health benefits of avocado oil