Blackberry Apple Crisp is an Easy, quick dessert your family will love! Healthy blackberries and apples combine with Steel cut oats and coconut oil. This recipe is Vegan, dairy free and includes gluten free instructions.
Blackberries love our property. Dave shovels new blackberry starts out of fence lines, our garden and fields every year. It’s quite a project keeping these prickly vines in check.
Fortunately we love these prickly fruits. Blackberries off the vine are a fantastic seasonal treat. Blackberries are also the healthiest of all berries. The rule of thumb is the darker your berry the healthier it is. Blackberries are darker even than blueberries and chock full of antioxidants and other nutrients. We have mountains of blackberry vines that we keep to pick from.
Consequently I make a LOT of blackberry recipes when the berries are fresh. Blackberry Barbeque Sauce, No bake Blackberry Cheesecake bars , blackberry Cheesecake ice cream and many other blackberry recipes provide a healthy variation in our diets.
This quick and easy Blackberry Apple Crisp is good on so many levels. It’s very cheap if you’re using ‘Put By’ ingredients. Stretching a dollar never tasted better than when bringing the summer harvest back to the family table for a delicious winter dessert.
All your hard work harvesting, freezing, jamming and canning will reward you now. Just remember to get it out and use it! This recipe is incredibly fast to make if you use frozen berries. Make it even faster if you have pre-cut frozen apples. If you are using fresh apples, it only takes a few minutes to chop them up!
Making dessert from scratch means you know what’s in your food. This makes it easy to adjust the finished dessert outcome. This is also the point at which new recipes are born. Play with your spices and other ingredients as you wish.
The steel cut oats in this recipe are just what I had on hand. Use regular oats if you prefer. Adjust this recipe easily For a gluten free version of this healthy treat. Simply use your favorite gluten free flour to thicken the crisp. I am using coconut oil for a healthy fat. That makes this recipe dairy free and vegan. Brown sugar is the only real indulgence in this recipe. Not too bad for such a popular dessert!
Blackberry Apple Crisp Recipe:
- Dump the prepared fruit all together and add spices, sugar, lemon juice and about 1/4
- Stir thoroughly and if still very runny (frozen fruit needs more thickener) add the rest of the flour and stir thoroughly.
- Pour into a 8 x 8 oiled pan or 9 inch deep dish pie plate
For the topping:
- Put all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add the melted coconut oil and mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling.
- Press the topping into the fruit with a large spoon or spatula
- If topping seems dry and crumbly, pour 1/2 cup water over the topping
- Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly