Crock pot french dip sandwich . Spicy, rich roast beef sliced and stuffed into a hoagie roll; smothered in caramelized onions and served with au jus. Delicious!
My fondest childhood diner memories include French dip sandwiches. Trips to restaurants, back in the day, were few and far between. We, like most families, ate at home except when traveling or on a special occasion.
I loved these meaty sandwiches dipped in beef broth as a child. I delighted each time I found French dip sandwiches on the menu. I’d never made them Until a delicious recipe from Creole Contessa’s site enticed me to give it a go.
The Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich with Caramelized onions
This slow cooker recipe is perfect for game day, tailgating and other party events. Just take the crockpot full of this seasoned roast and a bag of hoagie rolls (or make your own Homemade Slider Buns).
Recipe Instructions for Crock Pot French Dip Sandwich
This recipe has a spicy Cajun broth. I followed the spices exactly except I added a bit of Worcestershire sauce. It goes into all my beef recipes! I enjoyed making this easy dinner recipe and I loved how it turned out. The meat is moist and flavorful. The spices are strong and go well with the large hoagie rolls and caramelized onions I added. I decided to serve this French dip as I was served it in restaurants, as a kid. No condiments other than the onions. The result was fantastic! Enjoy this easy family-pleasing recipe!
Here are the simple steps:
- Whisk together all the dry spices in a small bowl.
- Season the roast with the spice mix, and place into crock pot. Sprinkle the garlic chunks on top of the meat.
- Mix together the beef broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar and pour into the crock pot surrounding the roast.
- Cook covered for 5 hours on high in your crock pot.
- About an hour before the meat is done, caramelize 2 medium to large sliced onions. Go here for instructions on how to caramelized onions.
- Remove roast from slow cooker onto a cutting board and slice thinly
- To assemble sandwiches, place meat on Hoagie roll. Place caramelized onions on top of the meat and serve the sandwich with a bowl of au jus from the crock pot.
Enjoy these delicious sandwiches dipped in the au jus.
NOTE: The calories in this recipe are not correct. A four-pound roast actually yields about 20 3 oz. servings. So you should have some leftover beef, or buy more rolls! Use a 3 1/2 lb. roast if you prefer no leftovers. Also, 1/2 Hoagie roll is a single serving. That is a pretty big sandwich, especially dipped!
We eat this sandwich just like this most times. It really needs nothing more. The meat and caramelized onions are so good together. BUT, adding provolone or Mozzarella of other soft cheese and fresh spice peppers….you decide what you like. Hop on over to the Contessa’s site, Linked below, to see her take on this incredible, easy to make crowd pleaser!
Here’s the printable for you:
Do you own an Instant Pot? Make this dinner easily with the slow cook function set on high for six hours. OR use the Manual function on High for 30 minutes if you want this sandwich fast. Brown the meat first if desired using the saute function. Enjoy!
Adapted from: creolecontessa.com