These are Sweetheart Waffles. Delicious Heart-Shaped Waffles made on a traditional heart shaped waffle iron just for your sweet moments in life.
Heart-shaped waffles can, of course, be made for anyone. But they are perfect for a special occasion love messages, such as Valentine’s Day, birthdays, mother day or anytime you want to say I love you with a special breakfast.
These traditional Norwegian waffles are delicious, easy to make and send message of love in every bite.
Our Recipe Contributor: Inger Svendsen
This traditional Norwegian recipe is provided by Inger Svendsen. She was a young girl, living in Norway, when it was occupied by the Nazis. Inger relocated to the United States, got her nursing degree and moved to Ballard where she worked as a nurse, raised two boys with her husband, and taught Rosemåling all over Seattle, including the University of Washington.
Inger is a lively Norwegian lady who immediately stole our hearts with her kind, generous spirit. As a Ballard native myself, who remembers, with great fondness my many Norwegian neighbors, Inger has made herself a special place in my heart. Her heart waffles come straight out of the Norwegian traditions she was raised in.
This is her traditional Norwegian family waffle recipe. It’s easy and quick to make these yummy waffles. Love in every bite.
Inger’s Tips: Making good waffles involves a few key steps:
- Start by mixing together the dry ingredients, such as flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients, such as eggs, milk, and melted butter.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. It’s important not to overmix the batter, as this can lead to tough waffles.
- Preheat your waffle iron according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Brush the waffle iron with melted butter or oil to prevent sticking.
- Pour the batter into the waffle iron and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The waffles are ready when they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the waffles immediately with your desired toppings like butter, syrup, fruits and whipped cream.
Some additional tips for making great waffles:
- -Use buttermilk instead of milk for added richness and tang.
- -Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract for added flavor.
- -Let the batter rest for 15-30 minutes before cooking, this will help to develop the gluten and make the waffles more fluffy.
- -For even lighter waffles separate the eggs and beat the egg whites. fold them in at the end of the recipe.
- -Add some extra ingredients like nuts, chocolate chips, or berries to give your waffles a unique flavor and texture.
Sweet Heart Waffles are best made in a heart waffle maker. A heart waffle iron has five adjoining hearts formed in a circle. The waffles come out as a set of five hearts and can served as a whole set ,or the hearts can be separated into five small single, heart waffles.
The Heart Waffle Iron:
Heart waffles are waffles made using a specialized heart waffle iron that has heart-shaped molds. Or by cutting a round waffle into a heart shape using a cookie cutter or knife.
It’s Inger’s opinion a heart waffle iron is critical to making these waffles correctly. She insists the best heart waffle maker is a traditional Norwegian Heart waffle maker Amazon. “Those others just aren’t right.”
How to Use Heart Waffle Maker:
Using a heart-shaped waffle maker is similar to using a round waffle maker, with a few key differences. Here are some general steps to follow when using a heart-shaped waffle maker:
- Start by preparing your waffle batter according to the recipe you are using. Make sure the batter is not too thick or too thin.
- Preheat the waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Brush the waffle maker with melted butter or oil to prevent sticking.
- Pour the batter into the center of the heart-shaped mold, being careful not to overfill it. You need to be SURE there is a margin of and inch or so around the edge of the waffle iron with no batter on it. Otherwise When you close the lid and cook the waffle it will ooze out of the waffle iron all over your counter. Big mess!
- Close the lid and lock it securely in place.
- Cook the waffle according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The waffle is ready when it is golden brown and crispy.
- Carefully remove the waffle from the waffle maker using a fork or spatula.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- Let the waffles cool for a few minutes before serving with your desired toppings.
It’s important to consult your waffle maker manual for specific instructions on how to use it, as different waffle makers may have different features and settings.
Favorite topping For Sweet heart Waffles:
There are many delicious toppings that can be used to enhance the flavor and appearance of sweet heart-shaped waffles. Here are a few ideas for toppings for these waffles.
- Maple syrup or other sweet syrups, such as blueberry or strawberry.
- Fresh fruit, such as berries, sliced bananas, or peaches.
- Whipped cream, either plain or flavored with vanilla or other extracts.
- Nutella or other chocolate spreads
- Powdered sugar, for a classic waffle topping.
- Ice cream, such as vanilla or strawberry.
- Caramel sauce or dulce de leche.
- Lemon curd or other citrus sauces.
- Peanut butter or other nut butters.
- Crushed cookies, such as graham crackers or Oreos.
They can be served with a variety of toppings such as syrup, fruit, or whipped cream. Some people also make savory heart-shaped waffles by adding cheese or herbs to the batter. You can mix and match these toppings to create a variety of different flavor combinations.
Five of Heart Waffle Recipe:
Five of Hearts Waffles. These low sugar, low sodium traditional Norwegian waffles are delicious, easy to make and very family friendly!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 Cup cooking oil (if your first waffle sticks, add a little more)
- 1 Cup flour
- Pre-heat your waffle iron.
- Put all the ingredients into a medium bowl and mix together for one minute with an electric mixer.
- Adjust the batter until it pours well.
- Brush the preheated waffle iron with oil.
- Pour a ladle full of batter(1/4 to 1/2 cup of batter depending on your waffle iron size) onto the heated waffle iron.
- Wait 10 seconds and then close the waffle iron lid.
- Let sit until the light goes on to tell you the waffle is done, usually about 2 minutes
- Remove to a plate and repeat the process until all the batter is made into waffles
- Serve with either a sweet or savory topping.
This recipe is for a flat waffle. It is very simple to make and delicous. If you want a fluffier, lighter waffle,
- before you begin the recipe, separate the eggs.
- Add the yolk to the recipe as directed.
- Whip the egg whites with your electric mixer in a separate bowl until they are stiff but moist.
- As a final step to the recipe fold in the egg white gently. Now cook them.
Recipe NOTE: These are very thin traditional Norwegian waffles made on a specific, five of hearts waffle iron. If your using a different style waffle iron you may have to adjust the amount of batter to suit your iron size.
Amount Per Serving Calories 351Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 148mgSodium 475mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 12g
Be sure to try our other waffle recipes and toppings both savory and sweet.
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!