Sausage gravy makes a flavorful and filling breakfast, brunch or light dinner when served over waffles or biscuits. It’s easy to make and very popular with the family. This is delicious and simple Breakfast for dinner recipe.
I made Sausage gravy with waffles but biscuits will also work great with this gravy. It is a flavorful, filling brunch or light dinner. All biscuit and gravy lovers this one is for you.
My son in law Nathan makes Biscuits and gravy all the time. We love it. So I asked him for his version of this tasty sausage gravy recipe. Here is is!
This sausage gravy recipe over waffles or biscuits makes a fast easy dinner. We love breakfast for dinner occasionally. This is a winner.
Waffle Recipes to make with Sausage Gravy
All of the waffles recipes below are low sugar so they lend themselves very well to this savory meaty gravy.
Sausage Gravy And Biscuits:
Biscuits and sausage gravy make a great breakfast combination. Biscuits are not quite so heavy as the waffles. If you prefer a lighter breakfast make this into a biscuit and gravy recipe.
The Quick N Easy Baking Powder Biscuit recipe pictured below uses my Homemade Coconut oil Baking powder mix . It has a shelf life at room temperature of at least 6 months. OR use this homemade biscuit recipe and sub out your box of bisquick.
This homemade sausage gravy recipe with waffles is definitely farmer food. Great for a work party where lots of calories are needed to get you through the day.
I had bulk Italian sausage and some waffles left over from breakfast…and Dave and I were outside all day working in the garden.
Dave expends many, many calories working at his job, and around here so this high calorie filling waffle meal is perfect for him.
…and then there is me. I’m going for self restraint with this hearty meal. Half a waffle with gravy works great for me.
Savory Waffles and gravy makes a delicious meal with a salad or other side. We were so tired we just had the waffles and gravy …
I have made this recipe for a large crowd and it’s a big hit. I suggest doubling this easy recipe for four huge hungry guys. They can go through a LOT of gravy.
How to Make Sausage Gravy:
- The Sausage: Nathan uses Jimmy Dean bulk Pork Italian sausage. Any bulk Italian sausage or your favorite breakfast sausage will work.
- Chipotle seasoning adds LOTs of great flavor to this recipe. Be careful if you are choosing a different sausage than mild italian. The flavors may blend differently.
- Fresh chopped garlic is a better choice than garlic powder. You’ll enjoy the texture and increased flavor of the garlic bits in the gravy.
- Green onions are a wonderful addition to this at serving. Little power bites of onion are just great over the top of the gravy.
Here is your visual walkthrough for this recipe. The printable recipe card has complete details for you.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add your sausage and seasonings.
- While it’s cooking mince the onion and garlic.
- Add the garlic and two of the chopped onions in with the sausage and chop it all up until the sausage is thoroughly evenly chopped with the onions and garlic. The sausage should be in very small evenly sized pieces.
- Whisk together the flour milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the milk mixture into the skillet over medium high heat stirring frequently.
- Bring to a boil and then Immediately reduce heat to simmer. Thicken to your taste. The gravy is done.
- Pour the gravy over your waffles or biscuits.
This recipe is also great with eggs over easy on top for a whopper of breakfast. I show you how to make perfect eggs over easy in this post.
Your Printable for Sausage Gravy Recipe:
Sausage gravy makes a flavorful and filling breakfast, brunch or light dinner when served over waffles or biscuits. It's easy to make and very popular with the family. Great Breakfast for dinner recipe.
- 16 oz bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. Chipolte seasoning
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 2 Cups milk
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, put the bulk sausage and seasonings and turn to medium.
- While it's cooking mince the onion and garlic.
- Add the garlic and two of the chopped onions in with the sausage and chop it all up with your spatula until the sausage is thoroughly, evenly chopped with the onions and garlic. The sausage should be in very small evenly sized pieces.
- Whisk together the flour milk, salt and pepper and pour into the skillet stirring constantly.
- Immediately reduce heat to simmer. When thickened to your taste the gravy is done.
- Pour the gravy over biscuits or waffles. Garnish with onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
HIC Hotel Gravy Sauce Boat with Saucer Stand, Fine White Porcelain, 24-Ounces
Vremi Cooking Utensils - Kitchen Utensil Set Tools for Nonstick Cookware with Spatula Turner Ladle Pasta Server in BPA Free Dishwasher Safe Heat Resistant Nylon - Black Multi Color
All-Clad HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Frying Pan with Lid, 12 Inch Pan Cookware, Medium Grey
Amount Per Serving Calories 359Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 63mgSodium 1166mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 15g