This homemade Strawberry Ice Cream recipe is the perfect summertime treat. Made with fresh strawberries, whole milk, cream, and sugar, this recipe is creamy and rich with a beautifully sweet natural strawberry flavor and gorgeous soft pink hue.
Strawberry is one of the most popular kinds of ice cream and is well loved for the delicate flavor, and how well it pairs with other desserts, and fellow ice creams like vanilla, chocolate, and mint. Our homemade recipe is easy to make and can be enjoyed as a soft serve, or hard set ice cream depending on your preference.
What is the secret to creamy ice cream?
Dairy is the most important ingredient when making an ice cream since the key contributor to the creaminess is the fat that dairy contains. Whole milk and cream are the best choices and will give you the thickest and creamiest ice cream every time. Half and half can be used, and of course there are plenty of plant based options, but the won’t provide the same level of silky creaminess.
Why is my homemade strawberry ice cream icy?
Icy ice cream is arguably the most common problem with homemade ice cream. Large ice crystals form during the freezing process making it gritty and crunchy. This is usually caused by too much water in the mixture, or an excessively long freezing time.
Homemade ice cream is usually stable for a few days in the freezer, longer than that and you will most likely notice ice accumulation on the top and possibly throughout.
Another common reason for icy ice cream is too little dairy. The fat content of dairy provides the thick, creamy consistency of ice cream. If you don’t have enough dairy, crystallization will occur much faster.
What is the easiest way to make homemade ice cream?
An ice cream maker will be the best choice for making homemade ice cream. There are so many on the market these days and they don’t have to cost a lot.
The Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker is the one we use and we cannot recommend it enough. It comes with a recipe book which is where this strawberry ice cream recipe is originally from.
This strawberry ice cream is eggless so this is not a creamy custard recipe. For a creamy, decadent, rich ice cream recipe go take a look at our Chocolate Cherry Custard Ice cream. We also love our Toffee Bits N Chocolate, and decadent Blackberry Cheesecake Ice Cream.
Enjoy this ice cream hard or soft set
This ice cream sets up hard in the freezer so you’ll want to let it sit out on the counter about 10 minutes, if you let it hard freeze. It tastes amazing fresh out of the ice cream maker but it starts out soft…so eat fast!
We recommend putting it in your freezer a couple hours to let it set up a bit after it’s done in the machine.
How can I serve Strawberry Ice Cream?
This ice cream is one of the most popular flavors and can definitely hold it’s own. But, if you want to dress it up, here are some ideas.
- Drop pieces of diced strawberry into the ice cream
- Add white or semi sweet chocolate, nuts, or mint leaves to change up the flavor
- Make it into a delicious strawberry cheesecake ice cream
- Serve with fresh brownies or cookies
- Use to make strawberry soda floats
- Spread this ice cream over your favorite graham cracker crust to make an ice cream cake
- Serve alongside a fresh lemon loaf
This is the VERY first ice cream recipe I made with my brand spanking new Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. I waited to get an ice cream maker until I was sure the freezer bowl method of making ice cream at home had been perfected. I’m convinced it has!
- 1 1/2 Cups fresh strawberries
- 3/4 Cup whole milk
- 2/3 Cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 Cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pulse strawberries in a food processor with the copping blade until chopped or pureed to your preference. Set aside
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine milk, sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla until smooth and blended
- Stir in the reserved strawberries until fully incorporated
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about an hour but you can do this the night or morning before use
- Follow the directions for your ice cream maker
- Enjoy your ice cream soft serve or freeze longer in an airtight container for a firmer to hard set
Frozen strawberries will work if strawberries are out of season
Amount Per Serving Calories 195Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 42mgSodium 31mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 2g
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Delicious Reindeer Puppy Chow
- Essential Home Freeze Drying Equipment
- Considering A Freeze Dryer for Home Use
- Delightful Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
- Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes