Rhubarb ginger sauce is a sweet, spicy glaze perfect for chicken and pork. Try this sweet tart sauce for a flavor accent to your grill, stovetop or crockpot.
This compote is full of beneficial health properties and it’s Low-Fat, Low-Sodium, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free.
Rhubarb has such a unique, tart flavor it requires some sweetness to compliment it and bring out the juicy clean flavor of this springtime delicacy.
We grow rhubarb in our garden and I love to cook with it. In this recipe the tart rhubarb and hot spicy ginger mixed with a few sweeter elements is the perfect partner for meats.
This is a spicy sauce unless you choose to tone down the red pepper flakes. We love it as the recipe is written but if you let it sit in your fridge for a week or so the flavor will concentrate. So beware.
This sauce would work well on wings or for the grill. Use it as a chunky barbecue sauce.
Don’t want the chunky texture? Run it through a blender for a pulse or two (don’t over do this or you will get a bubbly, runny sauce). Make it into a marinade. The possibilities are huge.
I have used this sauce several times since I created this recipe. I made pan fried Rhubarb chicken and a slow cooked pork and bacon dish that were MADE by this sauce!
I mean the sauce added a unique and irreplaceable flavor enhancement to the meal. Yum.
Rhubarb Ginger sauce is thick and rich. Ready to change up your favorite meaty meals.
Rhubarb Ginger Sauce Recipe:
The cooking method is very straight forward.
- Chop up the rhubarb and mince the ginger.(I didn’t peel my ginger- you can if you want).
- Add everything into a large skillet and bring to a low boil.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
Yield: This recipe makes about a quart of sauce.
Storing the Compote:
- This gingery rhubarb sauce will keep well in the fridge a week or so.
- This sauce does Freeze well for up to two months.
Remember the flavor gets stronger as it ages. Beautiful if you love the spice. If not, use it right away or reduce the spicy heat.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
This gingery rhubarb sauce is a sweet and spicy compote. Great over chicken and pork. Add this thick rich accent to your favorite slow cook meat dinner or in a gravy boat on the side at table for a delicious flavor enhancement.
- 4 to 5 cups fresh rhubarb chopped into 1/2 inch lengths
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 Cup raisins
- Add all of the ingredients into a skillet on low and stir them together with a wooden spoon.
- Turn up the heat to medium and cook until the rhubarb is mushed and the liquid is reduced to a thick , saucy consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Pour into a quart sized air tight container and store in the fridge until needed.
This meat sauce makes a pan fried chicken dinner.
Amount Per Serving Calories 122Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 15mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 4gSugar 21gProtein 2g
I found a recipe for rhubarb compote at Bon Appetite. It was a good idea post for me. I incorporated some of their recipe ideas into my own rhubarb sauce that our family loves. Thank you Bon Appetite.
Please let us know how you use this rhubarb ginger sauce.Comment below. Follow us on Instagram and tag us with your pictures. We love to see our recipes in your kitchen. Enjoy!