Steel Cut Oats with Maple Syrup, Apples, and Pecans. Start with Steel Cut Oats simmered to perfection.
Top it with apples and pecans sautéed in maple syrup and coconut oil.
Serve this healthy breakfast with warmed Maple syrup.
It’s very easy to make. This is a sustaining, healthy and filling breakfast ready in less than 15 minutes.
Make this healthy oat breakfast while you pack lunches. Send them off with warm yummy food in their bellies.
Try this Low-Sodium, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free breakfast any day of the week. It’s ready in less than 15 minutes.
Toast and coffee is our usual weekday breakfast. I may have mentioned a time or two that I’m not a morning person. Springing out of bed is achieved lately only to avoid a potty training disaster with our new puppy.
Hubby is getting some pretty nice breakfasts lately. He’s such a work horse for us. With all the construction jobs he’s on and the work around here he needs good food to keep him going.
SO…Today I made him this bowl of delicious healthiness. It’s packed with all sorts of healthy fats, carbs and protein.
Since he usually gets toast and coffee this came as a very nice surprise. And he really loved this breakfast.
The inspiration for this recipe is a 5-gallon bucket of apples sitting on the kitchen floor looking forlorn.
Dave picked them for me from our trees. You know I had to use them. We have a fuji apple and they are delicious with these oats.
Jonagolds, fuji, honeycrisp or other types of baking apples will work in this recipe. Just stay away from the tarter green apples or red delicious.
This week I made him my apple pie cheesecake, and this breakfast that uses an apple. Apples always go in his lunch… and I still have a ton of them! so, My thinking cap is on. I have enough frozen apples.
It’s time to use the Food dryer. Long ago, I used to make dried apple cinnamon chips… I’ll keep you posted on that. UPDATE: I DID make homemade Apple Chips. They are delicious.
Steel Cut Oats Nutrition:
All oats are excellent for you so if you don’t have any steel cut just use regular rolled oats. You may want to stock up on steel cut oats though.
They are very healthy additions to your diet. Because of the way they are processed they are even minimally healthier than regular oats.
Here are a few reasons why you’ll want to add these healthy oats into your diet on a regular basis.
And they taste great. The texture of the steel cut is quite different that regular rolled oats. The Steel cut makes oats springier and chewier. I actually prefer them to rolled oats.
Oats Have Powerful benefits for your health.
- The low glycemic index of steel cut oats is such that they help you feel full a long time. This helps manage body weight
- Decreases Heart disease risk by lowering cholesterol
- Aides Diabetes prevention through the low glycemic index and high fiber. Healthy fiber and carbs in your diet is important. They regulate your body in many ways.
- Blood pressure control: Compounds contained in the oats help control blood pressure.
More Steel Cut Oat Recipes:
Here are some healthy breakfast recipes that use steel cut oats. And one of my FAVORITE oat bread recipes ever.
Let us know how you like the Irish oats compared to rolled oats. They are very different mouth feel when cooked and have a nutty flavor.
A Steel cut oat does take longer to cook than a regular rolled oat (Unless you are using instant, like I am), but they give you a less gelatinous result.
How to Cook Steel Cut Oats with Toppings:
This is an easy recipe to make. And takes only about 15 minutes cooking time with quick oats. It’s a nice hot filling way to start your day.
- Put the oats into boiling water and turn it to simmer.
- Throw the coconut oil in the fry pan, add the apples, pecans, brown sugar and maple syrup.
- Let it cook on low while the oats are simmering.
- Serve when the oats are cooked and the toppings are done. Pour on a little maple syrup as you desire.
Your family will thank you. This nourishing healthy vegan breakfast will get them off to a great start; and they will love it!
Steel Cut Oats with Maple Syrup, Apples, and Pecans. Start with Steel Cut Oats simmered to perfection. Top it with apples and pecans sauteed in brown sugar, maple syrup and coconut oil. Serve this healthy breakfast with warmed Maple syrup.
- 1 Cup Instant Organic Steel Cut Oats (I'm using Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 Cups water
- Dash salt
- 1/2 Ripe Fuji apple
- 12 Whole Pecans
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- Put the water in a 1 quart pan and set it on high to boil.
- Put an 8 inch frying pan on medium heat and melt the coconut oil in it.
- Chop the apple into one inch pieces
- When the water boils, stir in the salt and oats and reduce the heat to simmer for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the pecans, apples, brown sugar and maple syrup to the frying pan and reduce heat to low.
- Cook the oats and apple mixtures until done to your liking. The apples should be soft and the oats should be as thick as you care for.
- Place one cup of oats in four 1/2 cup serving dishes and top with the apple mixture to taste. Add extra syrup as desired
- Serve with Maple syrup on the side.
This recipe is easy to double for more servings. It's also good cold in my opinion.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 136Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 47mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 17gProtein 0g