Watermelon margarita is chock full of delicious summer flavors. Lime, basil and cointreau join with 1800 reposado tequila to make a refreshing reposado tequila drink.
This margarita is SO good. It really evokes the summertime vibe. For all the hot summer months this tequila drink will cool and refresh.
Poolside, beach or summer parties are all great places to serve this winner.
More Summer Tequila Drinks:
Visit our COCKTAIL SECTION for our complete recipe list even more tequila cocktails and all of our adult drinks.
How to Make Watermelon Margarita:
This margarita is blended. Put your cocktail shaker back in the closet.
Fresh watermelon and basil are a great summer flavor combination. Add the lime juice, tequila and cointreau for a beautifully balanced smooth margarita.
Your guests will love this summer refresher. It’s a lovely warm weather twist on the classic margarita. Enjoy.
- For a Really cold drink freeze the glass and the watermelon cubes ahead about 30 minutes.
- Use a fresh lime and basil to bring out the summer vibe.
- We use 1800 tequila reposado (gold). That is a nice reasonably priced tequila with a much smoother flavor than a silver.
- We highly recommend Cointreau rather than the cheaper triple secs or the heavier and sweeter Grand marnier the best flavor experience.
Make the Margarita:
Here is a quick visual guide to this tequila drink recipe. Please also watch our recipe video on the side bar. It is also in the bottom of the recipe card and gives you a complete demonstration.
Rim the Glass:
You will need two small plates to rim the glass. One for simple syrup and the other for sugar.
I use simple syrup to wet the rim of my glasses because it really helps both sugar and salt STICK to the rim of the glass.
You can use the leftover lime wedge to wet the rim if you prefer. Just run it around the glass top. Now invert the glass into the sugar.
We used a lime wheel and watermelon chunks to dress up our margarita.
In the recipe card notes section I include more ideas for presentation. How do you serve this margarita?
Here it the cocktail picks and blender I use. I found the glass I use here at Bevmo. but we have good luck with libby glasses so I put one down below for you.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
This Watermelon margarita is bursting with summer flavors. Lime, basil and cointreau join with 1800 reposado tequila to make a refreshing reposado tequila drink.
- 1 Cup watermelon- cubed
- 2 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 oz. lime juice (1 whole fresh lime recommended)
- 2 oz. tequila (reposado recommended)
- 1/2 oz. cointreau (or triple sec)
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup
Chill glass 15 minutes until needed
Prepare fresh ingredients:
- chop the basil leaves-set aside
- cut the lime in half. Reserve one half. Cut a lime wheel off one half. set aside.
- chop watermelon into one inch cubes-(to make an extra cold drink freeze the cubes). set aside two chunks for garnish.
Add ingredients to blender:
- Pour into blender the tequila, cointreau and simple syrup.
- Squeeze the juice from one half of the lime into the blender.
- Drop in the fresh watermelon and basil.
- Blend until all ingredients are combined and pureed.
- Rim the glass with sugar (as shown in video)
- slice the lime wheel to its center.
- pierce the two reserved watermelon cubes with a cocktail pick.
- Set the lime wheel on the side of the glass.
- Lay the pick over the top of the rimmed glass.
More Garnish ideas:
- Add a rolled leaf whole or partial to the glass.
- Add a basil flower top into the glass top if you grow your own.
- pierce a leaf (several ways to do this) and put it on the pick with your watermelon chunks.
- cut a wedge and sit it on the rim
- cut a spear (longer narrow wedge) and put in all the way into the glass.
- Cut a lime wedge to sit on rimmed glass (or eliminate the rim)
- Put the lime wheel(s) deep into the glass.
We'd love to see your ideas!
we use 1800 reposado tequila since it is a good smooth gold tequila at a reasonable price. ANY tequila can be used in this drink but it will impact the flavor.
Cointreau is nice and gives the best flavor in my opinion. However, triple sec can replace it if that is what you have.
The balance of flavors in this drink is very good. Be careful not to overbalance with the fresh garnishing ingredients.
Amount Per Serving Calories 247Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 3mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 1gSugar 20gProtein 1g