Apple Yogurt Salad is a healthy, nutritionally balanced salad full of interesting flavors. Fresh Fuji Apples and sweet Medjool dates combine with juicy Pomegranate seeds, Greek Yogurt Cinnamon dressing and sliced almonds for a flavorful, colorful, delicious salad.
Apples and yogurt go together in this delicious salad and make the perfect combination of sweet and tangy. The greek yogurt has added cinnamon for sweetness while the fuji apples provide a nice crunchy texture.
This salad is a perfect side salad and a great option to compliment the dinner table. This is also a fantastic salad for picnics and potlucks.
Apples are a great way to add texture and sweetness to a fruit salad. We’ve included some helpful tips to make sure your apples stay fresh and tasty in the salad.
What Are The Best Apples For Salads?
The best types of apples for salads are ones that have a sweet flavor right off the vine and don’t bruise or brown easily. The Empire, Fuji, and Honey Crisp apple are among the best choices to put in a salad. They are both sweet and crisp which makes them a great choice.
Here is a chart listing some of the best apple options for a raw salad.
|Apple Type||Color||Raw Flavor||Size|
|Empire Apple||Mostly red. Often have streaks of green||Sweet & Crisp.||Small to Medium|
|McIntosh Apple||Mostly green. Often contain red patches||Sweet-tart and Juicy||Small to Medium|
|Golden Delicious Apple||Yellow-green||Sweet-tart and Crisp||Small to Medium|
|Fuji Apple||Pink-ish green||Very Sweet, Crisp, and Juicy||Large to Very Large|
|Honey Crisp||Yellow, red, and pink||Sweet-tart, Crisp, and Juicy||Small to Medium|
|Ambrosia||Pink tinged orange with red flush and yellow base||Sweet with Crisp Floral Notes||Medium to Large|
|Gala Apple||Pale Golden with slight red blush||Sweet with hints of vanilla||Small to Medium|
|Braeburn Apple||Red/Orange with vertical streaks of yellow and green||Sweet-tart similar to Mcintosh flavors||Medium to Large|
How Can You Keep Sliced Apples From Turning Brown?
Keep sliced apples from turning brown by adding two tablespoons of honey into one cup of water. Soak cut apple slices in the honey and water mixture for 30 minutes. Honey has a peptide compound that stops the enzymes that cause oxidation in the apple slices.
The oxidation process begins when apples are exposed to air. Polyphenol Oxidase enzymes immediately begin to oxidize and quickly turn the apple tissue brown. Make sure that you treat your apple slices very quickly after cutting them. Store in an airtight container after treating the sliced apples in the honey and water bath.
How To Cut Apples For An Apple Salad?
The apples for an apple salad should all be cut in the same shape. A similar size will help make the eating experience more pleasant. Cut apples for an apple salad by dicing them to medium size. To do this cut the apple in a cross-section and stack the apple slices. Cut at the same time into cubes. Discard the core and continue cutting the apple pieces in the same fashion.
Can You Slice Apples Ahead Of Time?
Apples can be sliced ahead of time for salad or meal prep. When properly treated and stored, apple slices can be kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 days without browning or spoiling. After apples are cut into slices, treat them in a honey and water bath to prevent browning.
Drain the apples and immediately place them into air-tight ziplock bags. Make sure to squeeze all of the air out of the bags. Place the bags of sliced apples in the refrigerator
Medjool Dates and pomegranate seeds pair well in recipes. The sweet-tart combination of flavors satisfies the palate and adds interest to many recipes. They are so good together! Delicata Squash Sauté is another healthy, yummy side dish using this flavorful combination.
How to Deseed a Pomegranate
Pomegranates are designed in sections. The trick is to uncover those section pith lines.
- Cut through the tough outer skin in a circle about 2 inches from the end.
- Peel off that skin and the pith until you see the seeds and the pith lines.
- Now, make shallow cuts down the skin side where the pith is.
- Break the pomegranate into sections from the top down and pull out the seeds from each section.
Apple Yogurt Salad Recipe:
Apple medley salad offers a great crunch. It has excellent nutrition and a creamy, delicious Greek yogurt Cinnamon dressing. This salad takes less than 30 minutes to make. The dressing can be made ahead and stored covered in the fridge if you prefer.
- If you are prepping this salad and slice the apples ahead of time, make sure you treat them in a honey and water bath to prevent browning.
- Make the dressing before chopping. You can set it aside while you chop or put it covered in the fridge if you make the dressing ahead.
- Chop the dates. they will clump together in a gushy sweet pile. Be prepared to separate them as you combine the salad.
- deseed the pomegranate
- Now Chop the apples
- Combine the apples, dates, and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl. Separate the dates so they mix well throughout the salad.
- Pour on the Greek Yogurt Dressing and gently stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Serve as a side or light lunch
NOTE: I made the salad dressing with Grace harbor Farms Cream Top Yogurt this time. Very rich, full-fat thick yogurt! It held together well in this dressing recipe. The message is: A Good quality full fat thick yogurt will work.
I have reprinted the Greek Yogurt Dressing recipe in the printable recipe for you; for your convenience. It’s a perfect complement to this salad!
Fresh Fuji Apples and sweet Medjool dates combine with juicy Pomegranate seeds, Greek Yogurt Cinnamon dressing and sliced almonds for a flavorful, colorful, delicious salad.
- (For the dressing)
- 2 Cups plain yogurt
- 1/4 Cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple pie spice
- (For the salad)
- 8 Cups apples, cored and chopped- leave skins on for color
- 8 Medjool dates, seeded and chopped into small pieces
- 1 Cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl add dressing ingredients and whisk together and set aside. This can be made ahead and store in the fridge
- Prepare salad ingredients as instructed in the ingredients list and put all into a mixing bowl
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container
- Different apples with different sweetnesses require you to adjust this recipe to your taste. Do that by adjusting the sweetness of the dressing
Amount Per Serving Calories 233Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 3mgSodium 36mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 6gSugar 34gProtein 6g
Thank you so much for stopping by our blog! We hope you enjoy this delicious recipe. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them down below.
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!