This Hot Buttered Rum recipe is made with dark Jamaican rum for a rich winter drink that is perfect for a nightcap on a cold evening.
A comforting sweet rum cocktail that can be dressed up with additional spices, or left simple for a tasty traditional holiday refreshment.
More Dark Rum Cocktails
Try both of these dark rum recipes if you are looking for a tasty island inspired drink. Our classic Mai tai and Bayou Rum Punch are delicious and refreshing cold drinks that use Myers rum for that delicious, deep Jamaican rum flavor.
What does Hot Buttered Rum taste like?
A Hot Buttered Rum will taste similar to a spiced rum with an underlying richness from the butter that creates a comforting cocktail.
Hot buttered rum has an interesting place in American Colonial History. Colonial Americans loved their rum. Back in the day homes were poorly insulated and drafty, so Hot toddy drinks like this were a welcomed drink after working out in the cold.
Is Hot Buttered Rum the same thing as a Hot Toddy?
Hot Buttered Rum is a spiced warm rum drink also known as a Hot Toddy. The names are interchangeable depending on the company you hold. Made from rum, butter, spices and sometimes finished with a twist of orange; it is a warming drink loved all over the world.
Our recipe is a classic and very basic recipe. Now a days we mix in all sorts of delicious spices and extracts like vanilla, not available to our ancestors. It has become a very versatile drink that varies depending on personal preference.
How do you make Hot Buttered Rum?
Here are the basic ingredients for a classic hot buttered rum. Use our recipe suggestions to change it up or drink it just like this.
More Ingredient Ideas:
- For the spices you can use cinnamon, cloves and ground nutmeg.
- Try substituting apple cider for the water. It sweetens the drink and really adds to the fall holiday vibe.
- Drop a dollop of hot buttered rum batter with ice cream. The sweet batter transforms this rum drink into a nummy winter dessert cocktail.
- Honey can be used to sweeten the drink rather than brown sugar
- Pure vanilla extract is often used to deepen the flavor
- Add some flaky sea salt for a beautiful dance of sweet and salty
Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
Here is the visual walk through for this recipe. Watch our video recipe demonstration for more on this recipe.
Helpful Items on Amazon-Click For More
Hot Buttered Rum Printable Recipe Card:
Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
This Hot Buttered Rum recipe is made with flavorful dark Jamaican Rum. This hot, buttery rum drink is the perfect cocktail for a cozy warmer in cold wintry weather.
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 4 oz. hot water
- 2 oz. dark rum
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- In heat resistant mug combine the brown sugar and hot water. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add Rum.
- Float the butter on top
- Sprinkle Nutmeg on top if desired
More Garnish and Ingredients Ideas.
- For the spices you can use cinnamon or cloves along with or instead of the nutmeg we call for.
- Try substituting apple cider for the water. It sweetens the drink and really adds to the Fall Holiday vibe.
- stir in a dollop of your favorite hot buttered rum batter recipe. Sweet batter transforms this rum drink into a nummy winter dessert cocktail.
Amount Per Serving Calories 244Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 31mgSodium 98mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 0g