This beautiful Lemon drop martini is a delicious vodka cocktail with Limoncello liqueur.
This is a sweet drink with a bit of lemony zing. Simply magical.
Our version of this sweet vodka drink tastes just like a candy lemon drop. Limoncello is the reason why.
The fresh lemon juice is just the thing to balance the sweetness of this wonderful drink.
Watch me make this Lemon Drop Cocktail:
Lemon Drop History
Fern bars were specifically designed to provide a comfortable ambience for young women. Sweet drinks are a favorite in that crowd.
Norman originated the lemon drop in the 1970s for his female clientele. The Lemon Drop was strongly associated with the famous candy. This lemon flavored sweet party drink quickly ascended in fame.
It’s still very popular and has been recreated into endless versions. Originally the Lemon drop was served in a cocktail glass and is still often served that way.
Over time the Martini style Glass became a popular way to drink this cocktail. A sugared rim adds an elegant touch.
This is not a martini recipe. But it does make a stunning presentation in a martini glass.
Lemon Drop Martini Ingredients
The lemon Drop martini with limoncello first caught my eye at the Farm Wife Drinks if you want to hop on over and take a look.
- Limoncello:If you have tasted Lemon drop limoncello you know how perfect it is for this sweet cocktail. The fresh lemon juice and the lemon twist keep this Limoncello recipe beautifully balanced.
- Triple Sec: This orange liqueur is another bit of sweet citrus to balance the lemon.
- The vodka is unflavored and adds very little flavor to this Sweet alcoholic drink. But it does bring in the kick you should expect from a good lemon drop recipe .
Tip: To adjust your cocktail sweetness twist a bit of lemon oil from the garnish rind into the drink.
Rimming the Glass:
Tip: Whir up your sugar in a food processor or blender if you want a finer grind. Or purchase superfine sugar.
- Choose a flat plate large enough in circumference to turn your martini glass upside down flat.
- Sprinkle sugar to a depth of about 1/4 inch over the plate surface.
- Use a cut lemon or lime to wet the edge of your CHILLED martini glass.
- Turn your prepared glass upside down on your sugared plate and turn it gently.
- Scoop sugar over the wet edge until the entire edge is sugared as desired.
TIP: Non Organic Lemons have waxed rinds. For a lemon twist or to squeeze the oil of the rind into your yummy cocktail choose organic lemons for best results.
To make the lemon twist:
- cut a narrow strip of rind off the lemon.
- Cut some of the white pith off the strip.
- Twist the strip of rind and skewer it on a toothpick as shown.
- OR twist your rind around a metal cocktail pick, kabob skewer or other thin stick until the rind form a curl.
- Drop over the side of your glass.
You will only need a leaf or two floating in your glass for a bit of green in your drink. The mint will brighten the flavors with freshness.
TIP: To increase the mint flavor. Bruise the fresh mint leaves a bit to open the pores. Now the mint flavor and smells will escape into the cocktail.
Lemon Drop Martini Recipe:
A beautiful blend of limoncello, vodka and Triple sec. A lovely lemon drop flavor hitting just the right sweet spot.
- 2 oz. Vodka
- 1 oz. Limoncello
- 1/2 oz. Triple Sec
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 lemon twist
- 2 mint leaves
- sugar as needed for rimming the glass
- Chill the glass ahead.
- Rim your glass with sugar if desired as shown in video and post instructions.
- Pour the vodka, Limoncello, sugar. lemon juice and triple sec into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake until the shaker is very cold.
- Pour the cocktail into your chilled glass.
- Garnish as desired with lemon twist and mint leaves.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
[UPGRADED VERSION] 12 Pack Stainless Steel Classic Bottle Pourers Tapered Spout - Liquor Pourers with Rubber Dust Caps
Riedel VINUM Martini Glasses, Set of 2
Aozita Cocktail Shaker Set Includes Martini Shaker, Mixing Spoon, Muddler, Measuring Jigger, Liquor Pourers with Dust Caps and Recipes Booklet- Professional Stainless Steel Bar Tools
Serving Size1 lemon drop cocktail
Amount Per Serving Calories 355