Adorable tomato tuna cups with a Low-Sugar, Gluten-Free tuna, vegetable, cream cheese filling that is delicious! Pop these easy to make cuties onto a party platter or serve them individually on a small plate as a side dish.
- 10 small tomatoes
- (Tuna Filling:)
- 1 large cucumber seeded, chopped
- 1/2 Cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 large peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 7 oz.cans Albacore tuna drained and flaked
- 1/4 Cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp. smoked Paprika
- 1 Cup peppers, minced
Making the filling:
- Rough chop all veggies to fit your food processor,
- Add the chopped cucumber, pepper, onion and garlic into your food processor and shred it all.
- Let the shredded veggies sit in a bowl with salt mixed in for 20 minutes to encourage extra juice to separate
- Squeeze the excess water out of the mixed veggies.
- Put the all the veggies into your blender and blend together until they form a smooth sauce.
- In a large mixing bowl put the cream cheese and mix it with an electric mixer until smooth add the veggies and tuna. Mix until it forms a smooth paste. Refrigerate an hour.
Assembling the tomato cups:
- Wash, stem and hollow out the tomatoes.
- Fill the tomatoes after they dry out.
- Add the tuna filling until you're pleased with the look and garnish. Arrange on your plates or tray as desired. Have fun playing with these party pleasers!
Amount Per Serving Calories 212Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 53mgSodium 752mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 30g
I’m surrounded! There are vegetables everywhere. Glorious, lovely perfect; “Use me now!” vegetables. They look at me from my counter tops, refrigerator, the garden, and greenhouse. They all need to be used at the moment of perfect ripeness; which is right about… now! Time to get creative in the kitchen. But it’s HOT outside! I’m working on no heat recipes.
Yesterday I started working on improving an old recipe. It just kept changing! I swear the whole thing went out of control crazy. From veggie chip dip to cracker spread, to tuna added in…a few garnishes for fun…
The tomatoes struck me right between the eyes and said use us! So I did. The family has been following the progress and loved the cracker spread stage yesterday, so we’ll keep that too.
But honestly, with the labor day parties just around the corner, these tomato cups have got to go on the menu! they are so cute! wouldn’t they look adorable on a tray on a potluck table? Get the tomatoes small enough and make them a pop in your mouth experience. A burst of flavor in the mouth in just one bite. Full of protein, and vegetables. They are really very tasty.
Inspired by: http://www.tasteofhome.com