Blueberry banana smoothie is packed with antioxidants and protein! This delicious smoothie offers a blend of healthy nutrients and yummy fruits. This healthy breakfast is Low-Sodium, Vegetarian, and Gluten-Free!
We have many delicious smoothy recipes full of healthful, delicious ingredients. Take a look at our Nutritious Breakfast Smoothie, and our Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein smoothie. In fact Click here to explore our Homemade Food Junkie smoothie section. We love them all. We think you will too!
Well I must admit, I have fallen off the workout bandwagon once again. I seem to go in fits and starts. The only encouragement I have is that my last workout stint lasted a whole month! It’s very sad, I know. But I always get way more active in the spring and summertime. I would much rather build a garden fence or chop wood for exercise than sit and do reps on a machine all day.
Watch me Make this Healthy Breakfast Drink:I was raised on a tiny farm where we did lots of active things. My calories were burned cleaning out the animal pens, (4 H projects are great). It’s seriously hard work to shovel horse, pig, cow, and sheep waste for any amount of time!
I was always rewarded with yummy home grown fruits and vegetable juice that my Mom would make. One of our family favorites is Homemade Grape Juice. And once in awhile us kids sweet talked her into baking Homemade Cinnamon rolls. Those were the days. They still have my horse 🙂
Blueberry Banana Smoothie is SO Healthy!
I love the idea of getting vitamins and protein from a smoothie. It’s so easy to blend up a bunch of healthy foods in one nutritious meal. I’m a lazy eater so I like to do things I can feel good about without a whole lot of effort on my part. I love this blueberry banana smoothie! My mom and dad enjoy Green juicing. We have some of those on the blog but I prefer the smoothies. So yummy!
Why Organic Blueberries?
Blueberries are packed with health benefits! Blueberries are best eaten raw. Fortunately, blueberries can be frozen without losing any of their health benefits. So, if your out of fresh; buy organic, flash frozen, unsweetened blueberries. They are just as nutritionally beneficial as fresh! It’s like eating candy to pop these little, frozen, health gems into your mouth. Frozen blueberries are perfect for a healthy morning smoothie!
WH foods has solid nutritional information on all sorts of foods. This page on blueberries describes, in detail, the health benefits of organic blueberries: Just one cup of blueberries, will support your body’s health in all these ways!
- A very good source of Vitamin K and C, manganese.
- Heart health benefits include reducing cholesterol and improve blood vessel health. Blueberries also help regulate your blood pressure!
- Heavily loaded with Antioxidants and phytonutrients!
- Memory improvement. Blueberries help reduce aging mental disorders.
- Low glycemic FUNCTION for great blood sugar affects.
- Eye health benefits include protection of the retina from oxygen and sun damage.
- Help prevent, or battle, breast cancer, colon cancer, esophageal cancer, and cancers of the small intestine. More research is being conducted on other forms of cancer this incredible berry may protect against!
- Organic blueberries boost health even more!
Bananas are a delicious, low glycemic, high fiber fruit. Bananas contain many vitamins and minerals!
According to Authority Nutrition, Chia seeds have 11 proven health benefits. Follow the link for more information on this amazingly beneficial food! Our Blueberry Banana Smoothie recipe also contains, Greek Yogurt, Coconut milk and protein powder. These ingredients all benefit your body. This smoothie has an excellent nutritional profile!
Instructions and Tips:
- Freeze a couple of bananas cut in half ahead of time (maybe the night before) so you can make more than one of these if you want. They are good!
- Put all ingredients into ablender and pulse until the smoothie is well blended.
- Tips and tricks:
- You can put ice cubes into the smoothie if you would like it to be a thicker consistency.
- I use coconut milk because it only has 80 calories per serving. (any milk would do)
- I useprotein powderbecause I’m a vegetarian and I get a lot of my protein from smoothies.
- You may leave out the powder if you don’t want to use it.
- I’m breastfeeding as well so I always try to toss in either flax seed or chia seed to boost my milk production!
If you purchase items from our affiliate links we may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you supporting Homemade Food Junkie.
Here is the Printable for this Healthy Blueberry Banana Smoothie Recipe:
Join me and start your day off right with this Blueberry Banana breakfast in a cup!
NOTE: Turns out all the straining we do making Greek Yogurt,( learn how to make your own here to save tons of money) takes most of the lactose out too. So Greek Yogurt is much more digestible than other dairy products for Lactose sensitive people. So give this recipe a try if dairy bothers you but Greek yogurt is a go for your digestive track. If you are INTOLERANT of lactose the Greek Yogurt and this recipe may cause you some trouble.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
You can put ice cubes into the smoothie if you would like it to be a thicker consistency. Coconut milk only has 80 calories per serving. (any milk will work in this smoothie) Use protein powder for the protein boost. Especially valuable for vegetarians. RECOMMENDED FOR BREASTFEEDING: ADD 1 Tablespoon of either flaxseed or chia seed to boost milk production.
Tips and tricks:
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 254
You can put ice cubes into the smoothie if you would like it to be a thicker consistency.
Coconut milk only has 80 calories per serving. (any milk will work in this smoothie)
Use protein powder for the protein boost. Especially valuable for vegetarians.
RECOMMENDED FOR BREASTFEEDING: ADD 1 Tablespoon of either flaxseed or chia seed to boost milk production.
This recipe is featured on Mode.com