This is a delicious apple pie filling recipe to freeze ahead. We give you step by step instructions for freezing, defrosting and baking this filling.
Need a fresh baked apple pie right now?
This recipe makes up to four fresh nine inch regular pies.
Don’t need four pies today? Make your fresh apple pie and freeze the leftovers.
If you freeze this filling properly it will last up to a year in the freezer.
Defrost, add the cornstarch and pour the filling into your pie crust. You have baked pie in under an hour. Cool and add Homemade French Vanilla Ice cream. It’s an amazing treat for the family.
We have our two favorite pie crust recipes linked below.
If you make your pie crust from scratch the flavor and texture of the pie are so much better.
It is worth the extra time. Promise!
More Apple Pie Ideas:
We love apple pies of all sorts. If you are looking for more ways to use up your fresh apples or wow your Holiday guests, check these out!
Links to pictured Recipes:
- Sour apple Pie with crumb topping enjoy this sour apple crumble pie. Its amazing!
- Caramel Apple Pie very flavorful pie with a Carmel flavor twist
- Apple Pie turnovers Make your family hand pies for the lunchbox and treats.
- Sourdough Pie Crust for all you sourdough bakers this is a STELLAR pie crust
- Coconut Oil Pie Crust is very simple and vegan
Simple Apple Pie Filling Recipe:
This is a wonderfully simple apple pie filling to freeze. Or use it for batch baking if you have a lot of fresh pies to make at once.
You will get about four quarts of apple pie filling for the freezer. Each bag is enough (if full) for a regular nine inch pie. You can also use it fresh or defrosted for baking up to four 9 inch regular depth pies.
Golden delicious apples are a soft sweet apple that makes a yummy pie and needs very little sweetener. If you are using a tart apple you may want to adjust the sweetener to taste.
Apple Pie Spice Recipe:
We use our own apple pie spice recipe for this freezer filling. Feel free to tweak it your own preference.
The type of apples you use do make a difference. If you use a tart firm apples plan to sweeten and possibly adjust the flavors to complement them.
This apple pie filling is perfect with a crumb topping or pastry as you prefer. Our Sour Apple Pie Recipe has a wonderful crumble top recipe you can use.
We add cornstarch for thickener in this pie filling recipe at BAKING time. It makes a nice transparent filling that holds together perfectly with great flavor.
In my experience it is best to add the thickener just before baking. Cornstarch might get lumpy in the freezer.
If using flour you will probably need to add more at baking time anyway since it tends to break down with freezing. This can make the pie filling taste a bit floury.
We do NOT add the thickener before freezing the filling. If you are baking pies from this defrosted or fresh apple pie filling add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch before baking.
We also do NOT recommend cooking this pie filling ahead with cornstarch in it. Cooking and baking cornstarch in any recipe can give you a jelly like and often lumpy result. Not at all what you want to eat.
So defrost the filling, Add the cornstarch and then bake your apple pie filling or best results.
We have complete baking instructions for defrosting and baking this apple pie filling recipe below.
This Aple Pie filling recipe is delicious and versatile. Make it and bake it immediately in any crust with whatever topping you prefer. Or put it in freezer bags and freeze for up to six months. Defrost and it's ready for thickener and your favorite pie crust.
- 16 cups apples peeled and chopped- (golden delicious or other soft sweet baking apple)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Apple Pie spices:
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar (to taste-more for tart apples)
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (to taste)
- 2 tsp. Pure Vanilla extract
At Baking: For two crust pastry pie
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup butter (in pats)
- egg white (for brushing the pastry top)
- Sanding sugar (as desired)
Making Pie filling:
- Prepare Apples:
- Pour water into a large mixingbowl and stir in lemon juice.
- Peel and chop apples. and submerge in lemon juice bath.
- Prepare Apple Pie Spice Recipe:
- In a medium bowl combine sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk Together. Reserve Vanilla.
Completing Pie filling:
- Drain chopped apples in a colander so they are mostly dry and not dripping liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl pour in the drained chopped apples.
- Add the dry spice mix and stir until all the apples are coated.
- Pour in the vanilla and stir until completely combined.
How To Freeze Apple Pie filling:
- Put the pie filling EQUALLY into four quart size freezer bags.
- Suck all the air out of each bag.
- Seal the bags (You can also use vaccum sealer if you have one).
- Label the bags and freeze for six months and up to a year.
- NOTE: You will add cornstarch when the filing is defrosted and ready to bake. This ensures the very best baking results. We don't recoomend any cornstarch in the filling before freezing. I have added flour for the freezer and it won't hurt but you will still have to adjust the amount for the liquid before baking.
- Defrost at room temperature in the freezer bags. I set mine in a large bowl so they don't leak on the counter.
- Each quart size bag will make one regular nine inch pie with a double crust or crumble top.
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the defrosted filling in a large bowl and stir it.
- Add 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch to the defrosted filling.
- Stir until the cornstarch is thoroughly mixed in with no lumping.
- Pour the filling into your prepared pie crust.
- Options for pastry crust
- Set pats of butter on top of the apple pie filling.
- Pierce solid top patsry tops with a knife for venting. Or use a lattice crust as we did.
- Top crust can be a crumble or pastry with egg white wash and sugar sprinkle as you prefer.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the filling bubbles.
- Cool and serve with vanilla Ice cream.
This filling can be used with any of your favorite nine inch crust recipes.
If you are using tart firm apples:
- You may want to adjust the sweetener amount to taste.
- The baking time may also take longer.
- Be sure the filling bubbles and the apples are soft when checking for doneness.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 131Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 5mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 3gSugar 30gProtein 0g
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!