This scratch made Italian Herb Pizza Crust is infused with fragrant Mediterranean herbs that elevate and enrich the flavor of this dough beautifully. This recipes bakes a tender, fluffy pizza crust that is soft and easy to chew. It is perfect for a family pizza night, and makes a wonderful crust for any style of pizza pie, and topping combination.
Making your own homemade pizza crust is easy and so worth it. The flavor is fresh and rich, and can be prepared and finished in a variety of ways. Make a garlic herb butter for pizza crust and brush it over the top of your uncooked crust for added flavor, or make it a fresh herb pizza dough by adding fresh chopped basil, rosemary, thyme, and other aromatic seasonings.
This recipe is a great basic pizza dough, but if you are looking for more be sure to check out our sourdough pizza dough, our yeasted flatbread pizza dough, or the cheesy garlic and spinach pizza appetizer.
This recipe came to my recipe pile many years ago. My oldest daughter brought it home from a friend’s kitchen, and it was a favorite in our family for many years. We loved the rich flavor of the dough, and the ability to make pizzas however we wanted.
We hope you enjoy it too! Take this recipe and play around with it. Make it your own by adding your favorite spices and seasonings to the dough, whip up your favorite sauce, and finish it with your choice of toppings.
What is the secret to making a good pizza dough?
To prepare the absolute best pizza dough, you need an adequate amount of water to keep the crust hydrated throughout the baking process. If there isn’t enough water in the pizza dough, it will bake tough and dry.
The bake time and temperature of the oven are also very important, so be sure to watch the dough and know how hot your oven cooks. Pizza dough will dry out the longer it is baked, and the crust can bake unevenly if the oven is too hot.
Be sure to follow the recipe as directed, but keep an eye on the dough to prevent the bottom from burning.
What are some ways I can improve my homemade pizza dough?
Although pizza dough is a simple recipe, and fairly easy to execute, there are some very important details and techniques to follow if you want to make the absolute best homemade pizza crust.
- Use only the freshest ingredients for the best rise and flavor. Yeast, flour, and eggs need to be fresh to give your dough the richest flavor, and to yield a fluffy crust.
- Allow the dough enough time to rise, and follow the instructions for activating the yeast. The rise if a very important step as it allows the dough time to develop structure.
- Add extra water if the dough seems dry or overly sticky. Hydration is vital to a soft, tender crust.
- Kneading the dough enough, but not too much is a balance that needs to be honored. If you knead the dough too much it will become tough and dense due to the over development of the gluten.
- Baste the unbaked pizza crust with melted butter, garlic, and fresh herbs for a rich flavor boost. A good garlic herb pizza dough recipe is always a staple to have on hand.
- Using a pizza stone will improve the bake and flavor of the pizza crust.
- Partially bake your pizza crust before adding the toppings, being careful not to over bake it.
What are some ways I can prepare my own pizza?
The wonderful thing about making your own pizza, is that the possibilities are endless and you can finish it however you choose. From the sauces to the toppings, the choice is yours and it’s a fun way to get creative with your food.
- Take inspiration from the trader joe’s garlic and herb pizza dough recipes and brush with a butter garlic baste.
- Make your own simple pizza sauce for amazing flavor and quality
- Make a pesto sauce, bbq sauce, simple olive oil baste, or a creamy white garlic sauce
- Get creative with the toppings by using different cheeses, fresh hot peppers, non traditional combinations of ingredients like peach slices and sausage
- Swap out the traditional pepperoni for seasoned chicken, different sausages, taco ground beef, or other deli cold cuts
- Incorporate a variety of veggies for added texture and depth of flavor
- Prepare this pizza dough to make calzones, personal pizzas, garlic knot twists, or bread sticks
How to make your pizza crust
Our Italian herb pizza crust is a simple base recipe that can very easily be built on, or made as directed for a simple, delicious homemade pizza dough. If you are looking for even more flavor, consider basting it with a butter garlic mixture before the first bake.
Recipes like garlic & herb pizza dough trader joe’s are popular because butter, garlic and aromatic herbs go together like best friends. This is a widely popular combination of flavors and will give your pizza crust a delicious flavor base.
Prepare the pizza dough as directed in the recipe, being careful to follow the instructions for activating the yeast and rising the dough.
After the dough is doubled in size, punch it down and roll in right onto your pizza stone or press it into your oiled baking sheet. Par bake the crust only until it is lightly browned on top. Allow the par baked crust too cool slightly before adding the sauce and toppings.
Place the dressed pizza back into the oven and bake until the cheese is fully melted and the toppings are cooked. Remove and allow the pizza a few minutes too cool before slicing.
A tender, easy to work with, low-sodium, low-sugar, dairy-free pizza dough; lightly herbed with Italian seasonings to bring up the flavor and fragrance of this lovely pizza crust.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
- 1/4 Cup water, 120 degrees F.
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasonings
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Soften yeast in water 5 minutes
- Add all ingredients into your stand mixer
- Mix until it forms a dough and then knead it out on a board on with your mixer until a nice dough.
- Form a ball with the dough and let rise one hour, covered.
- After dough is doubled in size, punch it down and roll into your desired pizza crust shape.
- Bake in your pizza pan for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add pizza sauce, cheese and toppings and bake until cheese is melted
Amount Per Serving Calories 90Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 12mgSodium 25mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 3g
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Easy Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Simple Pumpkin Pie Twists
- Apple Pie Spiced Coffee Recipe
- Mexican Rice and Chicken One Pot Dinner
- 13 Amazing Summer Mocktail Recipes