Crock Pot Mediterranean Chicken is a delicious high-fiber, dairy-free, gluten-free meal. This easy crock pot dinner delights the palate with flavorful chicken, sausage, Kalamata olives and artichokes simmered over a low heat in a sauce of delicious Italian tomato sauce. A well balanced meal all in one pot!
It’s kinda tough to sell chicken to my husband sometimes. He finds chicken meat often bland. He also loves his chickens and doesn’t like to think he’s eating…. well chickens! He goes back and forth with it. Chicken is cheap so he’ll eat it sometimes.
Fortunately he likes this dinner really well! The Kalamata olives, spicy chicken sausage and artichokes added a nice flavor touch he really enjoyed. I know he loved it because when we went to Costco next time he bought a HUGE jar of Kalamata olives!
We had company for dinner the night I made this recipe. These guests are some of my most critical (honest) taste testers. I was a little nervous getting the opinion of my toughest sells on this dish. It’s really different from our usual fare.
The good news is, even though we had never had a recipe flavored with Kalamata olives before, everyone enjoyed the new blend of flavors. Yay! I’ve broken new ground in my cooking repertoire!
Crock Pot Mediterranean Chicken Recipe Notes:
This easy to make meal has a lot of flavor and nutrition. The quinoa rice blend makes a perfect partner for this dinner. Not only is it a healthy grain blend; the taste and texture of these grains compliment the rest of the meal wonderfully. Enjoy!
Here is the Method:
- Oil crock pot. Mix all ingredients, except olive, artichoke hearts, chicken broth and rice in crock pot.
- Cover and set crock pot on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken and sausage are cooked thoroughly.
30 minutes before crock pot is done:
- Stir in artichoke hearts and olives into the crock pot mixture and let sit.
- boil the rice and quinoa in the chicken broth, in a 4 quart pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer until done (about 20 minutes)
- Serve the Mediterranean chicken over the cooked quinoa/rice blend
- Garnish with pepper strips and fresh cilantro
This recipe is featured on MSN Food and Drink