Cheesy bread is a delicious and comforting food that is loved by people of all ages. It is made by combining cheese with bread, typically with the addition of seasonings, sauces, or other ingredients to enhance the flavor.
Who Invented Cheesy Bread? The origin likely goes back into cultures around the world in various forms in different parts of the world for centuries. With its delicious taste, ease of preparation, and wide range of flavor and ingredient options.
Cheese loaded pull apart bread has become a popular dish for all occasions in modern times. From casual snacking to entertaining guests; lots of variations of pull apart garlic breads are a big hit.
Nowadays with the socials and internet search its simple to find creative and delicious dishes like this with lots of versatility and indulgent appeal. This is an appetizer best served hot.
With its irresistible combination of flavors and textures, it’s no wonder that pull apart bread has become a popular dish around the world. Whether it’s served hot and fresh out of the oven or cold as a leftover, hot bread is sure to satisfy anyone.
What is in the best Cheesy Bread Recipe?
What are all the things that contribute to the best cheesy bread? Cheese and bread are good in all sorts of ways with lots of different flavor profiles. However, for the best garlic bread you want to focus on a few particulars.
The melted cheese creates a gooey and savory center, while the crusty bread provides a satisfying texture. Here are some tips for best results.
- Fresh crusty bread: The bread should have a crunchy crust and cream interior so when the bread is pulled the crust stays in your fingers and the crumb pull off the hard bottom crust with the cheese and sauce with it.
- Use a crosscut pattern to open up the bread so you can stuff it deeply with the cheese and other ingredients.
- Whatever cheese you use should be able to melt easily over and into the bread slices. If it stays soft after it begins to warm all the better. Once the cheese is hard and cold it will taste greasy and not want to release into your hand.
- Add spices, herbs and sauces to flavor the bread and pull with the bread and cheese to go into your mouth all at once.
- Serve the bread hot straight out of the oven so the cheese is gooey.
Which Cheese is Best for Bread?
The best cheese for garlic cheesy bread depends on personal taste and the flavor and meatiness you are going for. Here are some popular options:
- Mozzarella: This cheese is a classic choice for cheese stuffed bread due to its mild flavor and stretchy texture. This cheese fits in anywhere and allow you to go in several directions with supporting flavors and ingredients.
- Cheddar: Cheddar is a sharp and tangy cheese that pairs well with the crusty texture of bread.
- Parmesan: Parmesan is a salty and nutty cheese that can add depth of flavor to cheesy bread.
- Gouda: Gouda is a semi-hard cheese that has a mild and creamy flavor, making it a great option for cheesy bread. We use smoked gouda in our bacon pull apart bread recipe.
- Brie: Brie is a soft and creamy cheese that adds a rich and buttery flavor to cheese stuffed bread.
Which Bread is best?
Any good crusty artisan bread boule, or even an oblong loaf, with a nice creamy crumb, as opposed to dry and crumbly crumb, will work well for this recipe. As long as the bread cuts easily into a criss cross pattern and will hold its shape when loaded with cheese cubes, slices or shreds.
For the most flavorful breads choose sourdough artisan breads. If you are a home baker we have several sourdough breads linked at the bottom of this post that will make excellent cheese stuffed breads.
More Ingredients and Variations for This Party Bread:
Here are some ideas for ingredients you can add to cheesy bread to make variations:
- Prosciutto or bacon
- Sautéed mushrooms or onions
- Sliced or diced jalapenos
- Grilled chicken or steak
- Pulled deli chicken meat. (I show you how to make that in this soup post)
- Deli meats like smoked or honey ham or turkey breast.
- Sliced or diced tomatoes
- Pesto or sun-dried tomato spread
- Sliced or diced olives
- Sautéed spinach or arugula
- Sliced or diced bell peppers
- Sliced or diced avocado
- Sliced or diced fruit such as peaches, apricots or figs
These are just a few examples. Make a Philly cheesesteak cheesy bread with thin slices steak pieces, chopped grilled onions and peppers. You can go so many directions with this dish. feel free to get creative and try different combinations!
Sauce Ideas for Cheesy Bread:
There are many sauces that go well with cheesy bread, depending on your personal taste preferences. Here are some popular options:
- Garlic Butter: A simple and classic option, garlic butter adds a savory and buttery flavor to the bread.
- Tomato Sauce: Tomato sauce adds a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to cheese bread and can be used as a dipping sauce or spread directly on top of the bread. You may want to season the sauce to fit the event or flavor you are going for with Italian, taco, or even creole.
- Pesto: Pesto, a sauce made from basil, garlic, and olive oil, adds a fresh and herby flavor to the bread.
- Alfredo Sauce: Alfredo sauce, a creamy sauce made from butter, parmesan cheese, and heavy cream, adds a rich and indulgent flavor to cheese garlic bread.
- Hot Sauce: Hot sauce, such as Sriracha, chili sauce, salas, or hot pepper flakes, can add a spicy kick to cheese bread with a south of the border flair and is a great option for those who like a little heat.
These are just a few examples of the many sauces that can be used with cheese bread. You can pour them right into the bread when baking or serve them on the side for dipping sauces.
Feel free to experiment with different sauces and find the combination that works best for you.
Where to serve this bread?
Pull apart breads can be served in a variety of settings and occasions, making it a versatile and crowd pleasing dish. Here are some popular options:
- At home: Cheese bread can be served as a snack for movie or game nights. This recipe makes a good side dish for light soups, like our hamburger or taco soups, or entrees. Load the bread up with your favorite flavors and have it asIt’s a weeknight dinner, add it to a family gathering, or casual entertaining like sports games.
- At a party: Cheese loaded breads that pull apart in your hand are a popular option for parties and gatherings. It can be served as a warm appetizer or as a part of a larger spread of foods.
- Homemade cheesy garlic bread finger food is a definite crowd pleaser. Serve it for your upcoming holiday and football tailgating parties.
Our homemade cheesy bread is a crowd pleasing dish that goes together pretty quick, can be made ahead, serves easily and requires little clean up. It is sure to be a hit with friends, family, and guests at casual parties and events where you can keep it warm.
How to serve this as an Appetizer
These types of breads are loaded with oozing cheese and sauce that can be messy. Those flavorful sauces and melted cheese are what it’s all about. However, not everyone is going to enjoy the sauce dripping and spilling when they take a bite. If you’re the clean up crew, you won’t love it either.
However, for a lot of people, this is actually part of its appeal. The messy and gooey texture adds to its indulgent and satisfying taste.
There are ways to minimize the mess. We suggest you add plates and forks to the serving tray. Using a fork or knife to eat the bread with keep the experience cleaner, if not as much fun. Or load the tray with napkins so your guests can wipe hands and mouth in between bites.
Despite its messiness, this savory treat is a popular and beloved dish. The taste and flavor more than make up for the mess.
Can you serve this bread cold?
We don’t recommend serving this bread cold. Once it is out of the oven, remove it from the foil and serve it on a tray. it’s best to make this bread ahead of your event and wrap it in foil. Then bake it just before serving so it’s nice and hot for your guests.
How to Make an Easy Cheese Bread Recipe:
Cheesy Bread Recipe
- 1 loaf of sourdough bread ( or any artisan crusty bread)
- 2 cups of cubed, sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 bell (or hot) pepper (optional. as desired)
Garlic Butter Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the sourdough loaf into 1-inch thick slices. Now cut it the other way to form a criss cross pattern leaving the bottom crust intact.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, minced garlic, dried basil, salt, and pepper.
- Brush the butter mixture onto each slice of bread.
- Stuff the bread with the cubes or slices of cheese. OR Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top and in between the bread slices.
- Place the bread slices on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 224Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 23mgSodium 433mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 9g
More Delicious Breads:
All of these breads are great for party food and serving with cheese.
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Spicy Watermelon Margarita Mocktail
- Twisted Caprese Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Basil Moscow Mule Recipe
- Easy Berry Mint Bubbler Mocktail Recipe
- Mediterranean Ground Turkey Recipe
Smoked Cheesy Bacon Bread | Homemade Food Junkie
Wednesday 27th of January 2016
[…] low carb smoky, bacony pepper flavor. The guys devour this delectable appetizer! I recently created Mozzarella Bruschetta Cheesy Bread recipe for Deals Plus online blog. Follow the link for a look at that excellent appetizer bread […]
Thursday 7th of January 2016
Wow! That bread and cheese is a sure shot winner!
Thursday 7th of January 2016
Thank you Richa!
Rachel@ Simple Seasonal
Wednesday 6th of January 2016
This looks so yummy! I'm having a small party this weekend. I bet if I make this, it will be a huge hit!
Wednesday 6th of January 2016
Rachel, I think so too! Let me know how it turns out for you. :)
Leslie @ Bessie Bakes
Tuesday 5th of January 2016
Gooey, cheesy pull-apart bread sounds dangerous and totally wonderful all the same time!
Tuesday 5th of January 2016
Oh it is Leslie! It totally is! Scrumptious!
Neli @ Delicious Meets Healthy
Monday 4th of January 2016
Ah, my mouth waters just looking at the pictures!
Monday 4th of January 2016
Thank you Neli. You'll love it!